2008 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Thread

Bedard on his way to Seattle for his physical, looks like this thing is finally done.

Yeah, it's done, ugh.

Also ESPN has again showed how it's standards have dropped. For reaction to the trade ex-Met GM, Steve Phillips (showing plenty of evidence justifying his status as an EX-GM!) claimed that Seattle IS the TEAM TO BEAT in the American League West.:shakeno::err:

Phillips is on the same level of clarity and trustworthiness as Salsbury.:lol:

Yeah, it's done, ugh.

Also ESPN has again showed how it's standards have dropped. For reaction to the trade ex-Met GM, Steve Phillips (showing plenty of evidence justifying his status as an EX-GM!) claimed that Seattle IS the TEAM TO BEAT in the American League West.:shakeno::err:

Phillips is on the same level of clarity and trustworthiness as Salsbury.:lol:

This move definitely makes Seattle a better team, I still dont see them as better than the Angels though. An injury or two, or a slump from a couple players and Seattle gets hot again and who knows? I'm not saying they have zero shot at winning the division, but favorites?

Article on Aybar and the competition to replace OC. I'll miss OC, but hopefully between Aybar and Izturis we'll be alright until Wood puts it all together. Garland was a nice pickup imo, so I'm not really mad about the trade but it's still tough to see a fan favorite traded.

So with winter ball behind him, Erick Aybar will turn his attention to a bigger challenge -- filling the huge void left by the departure of Cabrera, whom the Angels traded to the Chicago White Sox in November.

"We wouldn't have moved Orlando Cabrera if we didn't feel like we had people who could come in and give us the presence we need to win at shortstop," Scioscia said.

But the job won't be handed to Aybar, said new General Manager Tony Reagins, the former player development chief who made the decision to deal Cabrera. In addition to Aybar, the Angels plan to give veteran Maicer Izturis and former first-round draft pick Brandon Wood long looks.

Privately, however, the Angels say there's some concern over Izturis' durability and Wood's inexperience, doubts that figure to help Aybar.

"We know what we're getting with Erick," said Reagins, who accompanied Scioscia, team owner Arte Moreno and advisor Preston Gomez on a winter trip to the Dominican to see Aybar and other Angels. "He has a knack for baseball. He's a leader on the diamond. A very confident player. I think opportunity is what he needs."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-aybar12feb12,1,4837260.story

And KRod headed to an arbitration hearing. I'm starting to think the Angels are going to let him walk after this year if his command is shaky and he asks for Rivera dollars.

he Angels and closer Francisco Rodriguez have made no progress in negotiations for a 2008 contract, and it seems almost certain the two sides will have to settle their dispute during a Feb. 21 arbitration hearing in St. Petersburg, Fla.

"Sometimes you file for a trial, and that's what we did," said Paul Kinzer, Rodriguez's agent. "There's a philosophical difference between us and the Angels on where [Rodriguez's salary] should be, so we're going to let an arbitrator decide."

If Rodriguez, who can become a free agent after this season, wins in arbitration, he would become the second-highest-paid relief pitcher in the major leagues, trailing only New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, who will make $15 million.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angels12feb12,1,960306.story

Well I saw a 2008 preview magazine, Athlon, in a store tonight. They had the Angels winning the AL West, but again not advancing in the post-season. They had the Shhhaaawwwwkks (Red Sox in the exagerated New England accent) repeating by beating Arizona.
Athlon did do the issue prior to the Santana trade to the Mets, since they predicted a 3rd place spot for the Mets, and a Dodger wild-card spot.

Break down of the coming season from the Times.

Reasons to be excited

The Angels added a dynamic player in Hunter, a seven-time Gold Glove Award winner who will bring legitimate power and speed to the middle of the order and charisma to the clubhouse. With Hunter pushing center fielder Gary Matthews Jr. to the corner outfield spots, Scioscia will be able to rotate right fielder Vladimir Guerrero and left fielder Garret Anderson through the designated-hitter spot, which should help both veterans avoid the nagging injuries that slowed them in recent years, especially at the end of the season. The bullpen, once again, looks strong and deep, and the offense, while still lacking power, has more weapons.

Reasons to be worried

Right-hander Kelvim Escobar, a Cy Young Award candidate for most of 2007 before fading in September, is expected to open the season on the disabled list because of discomfort in his shoulder. The Angels have the depth to absorb his loss for a few weeks -- instead of battling for the No. 5 spot, Santana and Joe Saunders will both make the team -- but another injury to a starter would tax their resources. No matter who wins the shortstop job, the Angels, who put a premium on defense, especially up the middle, will not have as strong a defensive infield as they've had in recent years.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angels14feb14,1,1877814.story?page=1

Glad to see the Angels thread back up. Im really looking forward to the upcoming season. Im a little upset we traded Cabrera but hopefully Garland has a good season. I think we have the best outfield in baseball with Vlad, Hunter, Mathews and Anderson as the DH. My question is what does this mean for Willits? Is he just gonna fill in every now and then when guys need a break? I liked him in the everyday lineup but theres nowhere to put him... I think another big factor to this season is the production of Kendrick and Kotchman. I'd really like to see them put up some numbers this year. Thats about all I have to say. Go Halos!:up:

Glad to see the Angels thread back up. Im really looking forward to the upcoming season. Im a little upset we traded Cabrera but hopefully Garland has a good season. I think we have the best outfield in baseball with Vlad, Hunter, Mathews and Anderson as the DH. My question is what does this mean for Willits? Is he just gonna fill in every now and then when guys need a break? I liked him in the everyday lineup but theres nowhere to put him... I think another big factor to this season is the production of Kendrick and Kotchman. I'd really like to see them put up some numbers this year. Thats about all I have to say. Go Halos!:up:

As for Willits, he faded badly in August and September. Apparently a reason for his late season decline could have been a gall-bladder failure. He had it removed this winter.

We have Juan Rivera also who had a nice season 2 years ago. If he's fully healed from his broken leg, which he should be, he's a nice outfielder as well. I could see Willits being dealt. We have a lot of money in CF now, and as much as I like him, I cant really see where he fits in. Unless when Anderson leaves after this season you start him in LF, Matthews in RF and DH Vlad.

And I cant wait to see Kendrick. As much as I wanted Cabrera I really didnt want to lose Howie. Guy hit .356 after the All-Star break and was dealing with broken bones in hand throughout the season. If he can stay healthy we'll see if scouts opinions that he'll win a batting title sooner or later can come true.

Speaking of Rivera, he is being tried out at first base. It remains to be seen if he can adapt to the spot. But if it can work, it could put more power in the lineup against lefthanders.

Angels sure are crazy with outfielders. But I just don't think Aybar and Izturis can really replace a Gold Glove guy like Cabrera offensively and defensively. That and maybe the rotation early on would probably be their Achilles heel (unless Kelvim returns early and stays healthy and/or Santana doesn't go bonkers in road games).

Angels sure are crazy with outfielders. But I just don't think Aybar and Izturis can really replace a Gold Glove guy like Cabrera offensively and defensively. That and maybe the rotation early on would probably be their Achilles heel (unless Kelvim returns early and stays healthy and/or Santana doesn't go bonkers in road games).

I think the rotation has enough depth to absorb the blow for th short term. Makes Garland an even better pickup.

Hopefully Lackey's elbow issues arent serious. He needs to get back soon or he wont be ready for his first start of the season.

And on a better note; Hunter has played great so far, hopefully it's a sign of things to come in the regular season.

Back
Top Bottom