2008 Mets Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Mets Thread

NJFINSFAN1

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Industry sources told the New York Post the door is open wide for the Mets to land Johan Santana, but the Twins' asking price is still too high. The superstar left-hander could be a perfect fit for the Mets and could land at Shea Stadium, but not for the reported five top prospects, including pitcher Deolis Guerra and outfielders Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez.

Industry sources wonder if the Twins are asking for too much in trade for Santana. These sources claim that the Twins organization would need to open a second AAA team should they convince Omar Minaya to trade away his organization's future.

:rolleyes:

I don't see it happening, we would be giving up way to much, I would love Santana, but not at that price. They even have Mulvey included.

I don't see it happening, we would be giving up way to much, I would love Santana, but not at that price. They even have Mulvey included.

It's ludicrous. It seems a lot like the Twins not wanting to really trade him, but putting forth these stupid demands to see if someone bites.

Just say no to dealing Fernando! The King shall remain.

Heres the way I structure this deal:
Carlos Gomez - By all accounts a better player then Melky Cabrera. Has way more upside in the power and speed department and I dont think we can question how good he can be on defense with his speed and arm. And this will tick off all teh Red Sox fans but if you go back to 05 Baseball America has him rated better then Ellsbury and has pretty much ever since. So by every account hes better then what the competition is offering, just less proven at the MLB level through no fault of his own.

They get 2 from Pelfrey, Humber and Mulvey.

Thats it. Dont like it? Go get Bedard who had a better year last year. You could get him for that package. Injuries are more a concern maybe but he was great aside from his those first few starts and the last 2 that ended his season. Or get Ervin Santana while hes still cheap. But no way should they be giving up four or five players.

good to see you met fans again (well, your posts at least)... too bad the season ended the way it did, but hopefully it will awaken a different attitude for the mets this year. and yeah santana would be huge if it didnt cost us the whole farm.

The latest on you know who..Yohan :)

from JOE CHRISTENSEN in 1/15/08 Minne. Star Tribune

Are the Twins overplaying their hand in the Johan Santana trade talks?

When the Mets offered Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra, the Twins asked them to throw in top prospect Fernando Martinez. The Mets are holding their ground, offering Gomez but not Martinez.

The Newark Star-Ledger reported in today's editions that the Mets prefer Baltimore's Erik Bedard to Santana, as Bedard wouldn't require a big contract extension to complete the deal.

If a collapsing market caused the Mets to reduce their offers, an argument could be made that the Twins overplayed their hand. Some will argue they should have taken the best offer they had at the winter meetings and been done with this.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/13784861.html

From LISA KENNELLY, 1/15/08 Star-Ledger

Quote:
According to a Mets official, "We're holding our ground" -- offering outfielders Carlos Gomez or Fernando Martinez along with pitchers Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra. The Mets know the Twins like Gomez since they asked for him two years ago in exchange for J.C. Romero.

The Mets, however, prefer Baltimore's Erik Bedard over Santana, since he wouldn't require the same lucrative extension as part of the deal.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1200375307167930.xml&coll=1

I can live with Humber being dealt, i dont think his upside is better then say Jason Isringhausen.

I can live with Guerra being dealt since hes still a pup 3-4 years away.

I can live with Gomez being dealt because frankly I dont think he will amount to much but a lot of scouts think his upside is basically Carlos Beltran/Torii Hunter. I dont think he will ever hit that much making him more Endy Chavez than any of the other two imo.

Mulvey is the one that I have a hard time parting with. A 22 year old with good command of 4 pitches. Thats hard to find. The only thing keeping him from coming up now is organizational depth in the starting rotation and some fine tuning.

I am never, ever, ever going to complain about dealing young pitching for an established ace. The flameout rate for young pitchers is astronomical. I think the Twins will eventually bend and take Gomez, Mulvey, Guerra and Humber. At some point, Santana can/will force their hand, since he's said he wants this resolved by spring training. He can effectively quash a trade during the season by refusing to negotiate an extension with the team that acquires him.

I think (and hope) we can make the deal without giving up Martinez.

The only way the Phils give up their NL East title is if the Mets bring in Johan Santana, and I just don't see this happening. :unsure:

The Phils only big loss was Aaron Rowand, but we are stacked in the outfield, so we won't miss Rowand whiffing or hitting into more DP's. We also brought in a couple decent pitchers....the Phils still don't have an everyday 3rd baseman, but that shouldn't be a big deal as we have the best overall infield in the division, if not in baseball (Howard, Utley and Rollins).

Can't wait for the season to start. :woot:

Twins are being way too greedy and if they don't accept a deal before the season starts they lose all leverage and may end up losing him to FA and get nothing in return.

Twins are being way too greedy and if they don't accept a deal before the season starts they lose all leverage and may end up losing him to FA and get nothing in return.

I don't think the Twins are being too greedy, we're talking about probably the best pitcher in baseball right now, not a Kyle Loshe or Carlos Silva type pitcher. What the Twins are hoping to do is play the teams (Mets, Yankees, Red Sox) off of each other hoping one team will blink and give them what they want. The Twins just aren't going to hand over Santana for nothing, especially since this will be the Twins GM first big move and it could make or break his career.

I personally think he's going to end up with the Mets, which would probably make them favorites to win the NL Championship. I think the Mets need him the most, followed closely by the Yankees. In the end I think Omar makes the deal and I'm actually hoping the Mets make it too.

I don't think the Twins are being too greedy, we're talking about probably the best pitcher in baseball right now, not a Kyle Loshe or Carlos Silva type pitcher. What the Twins are hoping to do is play the teams (Mets, Yankees, Red Sox) off of each other hoping one team will blink and give them what they want. The Twins just aren't going to hand over Santana for nothing, especially since this will be the Twins GM first big move and it could make or break his career.

I personally think he's going to end up with the Mets, which would probably make them favorites to win the NL Championship. I think the Mets need him the most, followed closely by the Yankees. In the end I think Omar makes the deal and I'm actually hoping the Mets make it too.

Cant argue with that. Fact is you dont want to see him in Pinstripes anymore than I want to see him with the Capital B on his cap. So if he ends up with the Mets so be it.

What I am waiting to see is if Johan actually blocks a trade (that would be interesting - especially with how long it seems to be taking to get two parties to agree in principle from a player standpoint) - if one can be worked out at all. Personally, I think he plays for Twins in some part if not all of 2008, and if it doesnt happen he is content to end his contract with them and enter FA.

Cant argue with that. Fact is you dont want to see him in Pinstripes anymore than I want to see him with the Capital B on his cap. So if he ends up with the Mets so be it.

What I am waiting to see is if Johan actually blocks a trade (that would be interesting - especially with how long it seems to be taking to get two parties to agree in principle from a player standpoint) - if one can be worked out at all. Personally, I think he plays for Twins in some part if not all of 2008, and if it doesnt happen he is content to end his contract with them and enter FA.

I don't think Santana will veto any trade because the only teams that will make a trade for him will be ones that have a shot to get into the playoffs and have the big money to sign him to a long term deal.

Back
Top Bottom