2008 Mets Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Mets Thread

I don't think Santana will veto any trade because the only teams that will make a trade for him will be ones that have a shot to get into the playoffs and have the big money to sign him to a long term deal.

I think he might veto a trade in season, or shortly before the season starts. He's already hinted that he might do just that.

Very interesting article on the economic impact of a Santana trade for the three main suitors. The author concludes that it makes very little sense for the Yankees, none for the Red Sox, and plenty of sense for the Mets.

Very interesting article on the economic impact of a Santana trade for the three main suitors. The author concludes that it makes very little sense for the Yankees, none for the Red Sox, and plenty of sense for the Mets.

I just think the Mets need Santana more than the Yankees or Red Sox. The NL competition is just so close any team in any division (minus the Nats, Marlins and Pirates) have a shot at getting to the World Series, Santana would push the Mets over the edge to be the favorites of the NL (which as of right now I'd say they're the 2nd best team in the East). The Mets don't have an ace (or possibly even a real #2 pitcher depending which Oliver Perez or John Maine shows up). I also think Omar is feeling the pressure of the Mets blow up last year and is looking to make some big noise, plus he's shown in the past that he's afraid to trade prospects for a big name.

I just think the Mets need Santana more than the Yankees or Red Sox. The NL competition is just so close any team in any division (minus the Nats, Marlins and Pirates) have a shot at getting to the World Series, Santana would push the Mets over the edge to be the favorites of the NL (which as of right now I'd say they're the 2nd best team in the East). The Mets don't have an ace (or possibly even a real #2 pitcher depending which Oliver Perez or John Maine shows up). I also think Omar is feeling the pressure of the Mets blow up last year and is looking to make some big noise, plus he's shown in the past that he's afraid to trade prospects for a big name.

I agree with everything you said. I do think the Mets need Santana more than the Yanks or Sawx, and I do think Omar is feeling a lot of pressure. His track record as Mets GM has been, to say the least, checkered. And at some point, Fred Wilpon's going to get impatient.

I agree with everything you said. I do think the Mets need Santana more than the Yanks or Sawx, and I do think Omar is feeling a lot of pressure. His track record as Mets GM has been, to say the least, checkered. And at some point, Fred Wilpon's going to get impatient.
Fred Wilpon has no right to get impatient for as long as he allows Little Jeffery to meddle in the day to day operations that a GM is supposed to perform. None whatsoever. :shakeno:

The Daily Johan rumor:

Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald has some info on a Johan Santana possibility, and it isn't the usual rehashed stuff. He writes:

A package the Twins could receive will probably not include both of the Mets’ top outfield prospects, Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. There are indications that Martinez would be in the deal, along with major league outfielder Ryan Church and at least two other prospects. Starter Mike Pelfrey could be part of the deal as well....

Would Martinez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey, and Church get it done? Maybe not a fan-pleaser but you'd have guys who can contribute now and others that can develop into superstars. Would Michael Cuddyer still be a center field candidate if the Twins acquire Church

My Thoughts: Theres no way Church is involved. If we weren't willing to leave the everyday spot to Milledge who is closer to being big league ready then Gomez, so they sure as heck leaving the spot to Gomez/Endy. Oh, and just say no to dealing The King.

Fred Wilpon has no right to get impatient for as long as he allows Little Jeffery to meddle in the day to day operations that a GM is supposed to perform. None whatsoever. :shakeno:

My understanding has been that Omar has a pretty significant degree of autonomy. And moreover, most of my criticism with Minaya has been with some of his smaller trades, which Jeff Wilpon probably would not be involved in. For instance, the fact that he traded away Bannister, Bell, Owens and Lindstrom, getting absolutely nothing in return. In fact, if we'd had those four guys, instead of Mota, Schoeneweis, Sele and Pelfrey giving us 200 innings (or whatever), we wouldn't just have made the playoffs, we might have made the World Series.

And just to revive an old chestnut: the Nady/Cameron trade, in and of itself, was a loser. Getting Perez in the secondary deal was the only thing that salvaged it, and that was as much luck as anything. If Sanchez doesn't get hurt, that deal doesn't get made.

Big-ticket free agent signings are usually the areas where the owner is involved. And on the whole, I've no quarrel with Minaya/Wilpon's moves there. But Minaya's track record as a wheeler-dealer leaves much to be desired.

The Daily Johan rumor:

Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald has some info on a Johan Santana possibility, and it isn't the usual rehashed stuff. He writes:

A package the Twins could receive will probably not include both of the Mets’ top outfield prospects, Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. There are indications that Martinez would be in the deal, along with major league outfielder Ryan Church and at least two other prospects. Starter Mike Pelfrey could be part of the deal as well....

Would Martinez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey, and Church get it done? Maybe not a fan-pleaser but you'd have guys who can contribute now and others that can develop into superstars. Would Michael Cuddyer still be a center field candidate if the Twins acquire Church

My Thoughts: Theres no way Church is involved. If we weren't willing to leave the everyday spot to Milledge who is closer to being big league ready then Gomez, so they sure as heck leaving the spot to Gomez/Endy. Oh, and just say no to dealing The King.

Not sure why you'd rule out Church so fast. The Twins have said from day one that they want some major league ready talent. If it meant keeping Martinez, I'd move Church in a New York minute.

Not sure why you'd rule out Church so fast. The Twins have said from day one that they want some major league ready talent. If it meant keeping Martinez, I'd move Church in a New York minute.
and put who in RF everyday? Endy? Even if you think that he could play everyday, which I dont, that still leaves our bench severely depleted.

Believe me Id love to keep Martinez and if it meant moving Church i would do it, but i just wouldnt be happy about it from the perspective that there is nothing else out there at this point who is at least an equal unless you want to bring in Barroid and move alou to RF giving us one of the worst defensive OF's since last year. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting rid of Shawn Green at that point....

My understanding has been that Omar has a pretty significant degree of autonomy. And moreover, most of my criticism with Minaya has been with some of his smaller trades, which Jeff Wilpon probably would not be involved in. For instance, the fact that he traded away Bannister, Bell, Owens and Lindstrom, getting absolutely nothing in return. In fact, if we'd had those four guys, instead of Mota, Schoeneweis, Sele and Pelfrey giving us 200 innings (or whatever), we wouldn't just have made the playoffs, we might have made the World Series.

And just to revive an old chestnut: the Nady/Cameron trade, in and of itself, was a loser. Getting Perez in the secondary deal was the only thing that salvaged it, and that was as much luck as anything. If Sanchez doesn't get hurt, that deal doesn't get made.

Big-ticket free agent signings are usually the areas where the owner is involved. And on the whole, I've no quarrel with Minaya/Wilpon's moves there. But Minaya's track record as a wheeler-dealer leaves much to be desired.
Bannister was never getting a chance here...hes a #3 on KC which is like being a Minor league #1 on a real MLB team. Getting Burgos could eventually turn out to be a coupe. If this upsets you then you wont ever be happy with any GM. Its a minor deal where he took a chance on a power arm which our pen needed. Plus we may have a post Wagner closer. Too early to determine either way on this deal.

Bell wanted out, hated Peterson, hated NY. He wasnt going to be successful here cause he didnt want to listen. Cant fault omar he got whatever he could get.

The Lidstrom/Owens trade I cant defend, I hated that deal too. Kinda defeated the purpose of the Burgos deal.

The Nady deal we've discussed in legnth numerous times. The only new info Ive since found out was that cameron did not want to play RF and apparently requested the deal. So again, not necessarily a bad deal.

You also left out such coupes like getting Maine for Benson and Julio, getting Duque for nothing great, Marlon Anderson and Duaner Sanchez on the cheap, Castillo for nothing at teh deadline last year, and lest we forget the recruitment of Pedro, Beltran, wagner. I cant say that hes done a bad job at all.

My complaints are with little Jeffrey whispering dumb ideas in Omar's ear constantly. If Fred wants him to be GM tell Little Jeffrey to let the man do his job. Either that or just fire Omar so Little Jeffrey can take over and have fun wrecking his toy.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/25/ringolsby-quiet-winter-for-big-spenders/

(Scroll about 2/3 down)

Mets are reportedly close to a deal with Livan Hernandez. More on this later, and my response to Boik above, but it's an...interesting move. If he comes on the cheap, which I assume he will this late in the offseason, great. Hernandez is, if nothing else, an innings-eater for a team that frequently overworked their relievers last year and had a revolving door in the #5 starter spot, so that's good. And his numbers were inflated by his home park last year. If you neutralize the park factors, his ERA goes down to a respectable 4.28.

Here's the problem: 90 K to 79 BB last year. UGH!!!! Worse yet, that's not an outlier; his K/BB ratio has been in freefall. I don't have time to run the numbers, but check here for yourself. And at his age (his listed age of 32 is hilarious), it's not likely to get much better.

The thing that may salvage him is that Hernandez has become more of a flyball pitcher as he's gotten older, and the Mets have had a good amount of success taking flyball pitchers and sticking them in Shea Stadium of late.

As a #5 starter, who can give the team 7 innings without getting killed, he's fine. But if they're counting on anything more than that, we're screwed.

And FWIW, I don't think for a second this takes us out of the Santana running. If you hear any talk like that, discount it; it's just Omar trying to get the Twins to jump at his most recent offer.

and put who in RF everyday? Endy? Even if you think that he could play everyday, which I dont, that still leaves our bench severely depleted.

Believe me Id love to keep Martinez and if it meant moving Church i would do it, but i just wouldnt be happy about it from the perspective that there is nothing else out there at this point who is at least an equal unless you want to bring in Barroid and move alou to RF giving us one of the worst defensive OF's since last year. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting rid of Shawn Green at that point....

The FA market is flooded with outfielders: Barroid, Reggie Sanders, Shannon Stewart...even Green. Yes, any of those guys would give us problems defensively, but I don't think finding a stopgap in RF would be a problem until Fernando is ready, presumably in 2009. I could live with a year of any of those guys.

And I would seriously consider Barroid if we traded Church. Why not? The worst of the media circus is over, and you're left with a guy who hits a ton of homers and draws a ton of walks. And we've got Endy to rest him periodically and use as a late inning defensive sub.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/25/ringolsby-quiet-winter-for-big-spenders/

(Scroll about 2/3 down)

Mets are reportedly close to a deal with Livan Hernandez. More on this later, and my response to Boik above, but it's an...interesting move. If he comes on the cheap, which I assume he will this late in the offseason, great. Hernandez is, if nothing else, an innings-eater for a team that frequently overworked their relievers last year and had a revolving door in the #5 starter spot, so that's good. And his numbers were inflated by his home park last year. If you neutralize the park factors, his ERA goes down to a respectable 4.28.

Here's the problem: 90 K to 79 BB last year. UGH!!!! Worse yet, that's not an outlier; his K/BB ratio has been in freefall. I don't have time to run the numbers, but check here for yourself. And at his age (his listed age of 32 is hilarious), it's not likely to get much better.

The thing that may salvage him is that Hernandez has become more of a flyball pitcher as he's gotten older, and the Mets have had a good amount of success taking flyball pitchers and sticking them in Shea Stadium of late.

As a #5 starter, who can give the team 7 innings without getting killed, he's fine. But if they're counting on anything more than that, we're screwed.

And FWIW, I don't think for a second this takes us out of the Santana running. If you hear any talk like that, discount it; it's just Omar trying to get the Twins to jump at his most recent offer.
I think I just puked up a little bit. :refuse:

Back
Top Bottom