2008 Mets Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2008 Mets Thread

I Lol'ed at Hankensteiner..thats actually really good. Ill pay the Finkle tax everytime I borrow that :beer1:

I wish I could take credit for it but I heard it from either Bill Simmons, Keith Law or Rob Neyer. Although if they didn't copyright it....

I wish I could take credit for it but I heard it from either Bill Simmons, Keith Law or Rob Neyer. Although if they didn't copyright it....
chances are it was Neyer or Simmons. i dont read the dog-doo they put out but Law I read pretty religiously. Neyer especially is a know nothing tool...I wonder if he still thinks Jose Reyes is the worst everyday player in baseball but last time I asked him that he wouldnt reply.

so of the three (pelfrey-mulvey-guerra), whos got the most upside? and omars not crazy enough to unload all 3... is he?

so of the three (pelfrey-mulvey-guerra), whos got the most upside? and omars not crazy enough to unload all 3... is he?
Guerra probably has the most upside, hes 18 and already been ok at AA ball which normally you dont get to til 20 at earliest. AA is basically the last stop before the bigs as thats generally regarded as the highest level of minor league competition so to be there at such a young age is remarkable for a pitcher. If you figure he'll continue to build up arm stregnth for the next 2 years in AA, he'll probably top out at 94-95 and have 2 other pitches to go with it by the time hes ready, probably a slider and change. Hes still growing so its tough to project what he will be.

Mulvey is my personal favorite because its rare that a 22 year old actually has command of 4 pitches. He reminds me of Tim Hudson...whether he actually becomes that good, we'll see.

Pelfrey is the one most likely to have a long career because teams will always give him and his 95+ mph heater a chance.

goodbye carlos. hello yohan... (oh please).

Not sure it means anything but Carlos Gomez was pulled from winter ball tonight. Could be trying to avoid injury or it could be the beginning of something bigger, like you know who (Yohan?!?!?!!?!?!?).....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/01/carlos-gomez-pu.html

It MAY be a signal that the Mets have an agreement-in-principle, and have entered a 72-hour contract negotiation window with Santana, which means we'd have something definitive by Thursday. However, the fact that we've heard no buzz that the Mets have reached a deal cuts against that.

ESPN is reporting that a Santana decision could come today. If the Twins asked the Mets, Yanks and Red Sox what their final offers were, it stands to reason a decision is due soon, so taking Gomez out of winter ball would make sense for that reason as well; the Mets know they're the odds-on-favorite right now, and the couple extra games of development for Gomez isn't worth nearly as much as the chance of submarining their chances for a Santana deal, even if it's not done yet.

Interesting point from Jayson Stark...

So while the Yankees and Red Sox backskate away from the deals they almost made, the Mets have obviously decided there's no reason to sweeten this pot. What they're telling the Twins, essentially is: "This may not be what you want -- but it's better than two draft picks."

There are people inside the Twins' organization who believe they have to move Santana before spring training. But unless they can justify why they turned down much more attractive packages in December, they may have maneuvered themselves into a situation where that has become practically impossible.

Let me play devil's advocate here: wouldn't there seem to at least be a chance that the Twins will simply keep Santana, play out the year, and wait for two draft picks? Unless the Yankees get an itchy trigger finger (not an impossibility), or they bluff Omar into giving up Fernando (not likely, but I can't rule it out), the Twins are going to get a package that's worse than the ones they turned down at the winter meetings.

Apart from leaving some very ticked-off fans, Bill Smith (a new GM) is going to lose a fair amount of respect around the league, and one wonders if that might make it hard for him to cut deals in the future. There will be no question that in his first big move as Minnesota GM, he blew it and managed to sell the best pitcher in baseball for about 60 cents on the dollar. Admittedly, it's a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of circumstances, but you get the feeling that most GMs would have handled this better.

BTW, I assume you all know about this site, but just in case you don't, MetsBlog is absolutely, positively the best source on the net for Mets info. If they aren't the first to break the news of any Santana trade, they'll be damn close.

Take this with a shaker of salt, but here's a comment on MetsBlog...

I know this is a Ferris Bueller “my girlfriend’s, boyfriend’s brother know this guy who knows this kid who saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night” type of thing but take it however you will.

I received this email just now.

I have a friend who is a manager in concessions at Shea. They received a memo yesterday afternoon asking them to order X number of Mets Santana jerseys in time for opening day. This was a letter from the Mets front office. Looks like we’ll here something good soon..

I'm not buying it, but since we're all dying for some morsel of news/gossip, I thought I'd pass it along.

Take this with a shaker of salt, but here's a comment on MetsBlog...

I'm not buying it, but since we're all dying for some morsel of news/gossip, I thought I'd pass it along.

Ah I think that report is a little fishy. It doesn't take long to make those shirts at all. I remember the day after the Red Sox traded for Gagne they were selling his shirt at Fenway. I just think someone is spreading a rumor.

Ah I think that report is a little fishy. It doesn't take long to make those shirts at all. I remember the day after the Red Sox traded for Gagne they were selling his shirt at Fenway. I just think someone is spreading a rumor.

Yup, :bs:

Interesting point from Jayson Stark...

Let me play devil's advocate here: wouldn't there seem to at least be a chance that the Twins will simply keep Santana, play out the year, and wait for two draft picks? Unless the Yankees get an itchy trigger finger (not an impossibility), or they bluff Omar into giving up Fernando (not likely, but I can't rule it out), the Twins are going to get a package that's worse than the ones they turned down at the winter meetings.

Apart from leaving some very ticked-off fans, Bill Smith (a new GM) is going to lose a fair amount of respect around the league, and one wonders if that might make it hard for him to cut deals in the future. There will be no question that in his first big move as Minnesota GM, he blew it and managed to sell the best pitcher in baseball for about 60 cents on the dollar. Admittedly, it's a once-in-a-lifetime confluence of circumstances, but you get the feeling that most GMs would have handled this better.
Even though the strategy isnt unprecedented (Billy Beane), the situation and surrounding circumstances are different.

For one, Smith is going to take heat even if he accepts Martinez (God no!)and Guerra because neither one is going to be ready before 2010. If he accepts picks it will take even longer before he sees a return because the prospects they would get have already progressed through the Mets system.

Two, any draft picks he gets as compensation will command a bigger signing bonus. The twins have, in the past shied away from paying elaborate bonus money to prospects. The prospects Smith would get in return are signed, sealed and delivered so theres no worries. Theoretically, Smith could get absolutely nothing if he failed to sign those 1st round compensation picks, then what?

Three: I thought about the idea that he may keep Santana and try and make a run this year. A few problems came up in my comparison of what beane did with tejada and Giambi. For one Oakland was playing in a weak division coming off a solid season. Minny is in probably the toughest division in baseball. They would have to somehow leap the Indiand and Tigers, and hold off an improved Whitesox team. Then they'd have to somehow beat out the NYY or Boston for the Wild Card???? Youre kidding right? Even if they have Santana and Liriano, they have no lineup aside from Morneau/Young/Cuddeyer. They are not as quick a fix as Smith may want to believe. The second problem is the aforementioned, Liriano. Oh, hes a stud, no disputing that. However lets look at some things. Phillip Humber is a two years + removed from TJ surgery. Humber has arguably put up better stats in a hitters league (Pacific Coast League) then Liriano ever did in the minors. Phillip Humber is still not a 100%. So you mean to tell me Liriano is somehow his old self after less then one year? Thats debateable at best.

BTW, I assume you all know about this site, but just in case you don't, MetsBlog is absolutely, positively the best source on the net for Mets info. If they aren't the first to break the news of any Santana trade, they'll be damn close.
Matthew Cerrone (Metsblog owner), can also be found on SNY. He now does some kind of TV show for the Mets. Havent actually had time to sit and watch it but I know hes on there like 1-2x a week.

Back
Top Bottom