2012 Coaching Option | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2012 Coaching Option

I agree with defensive end 76, the coach is finally starting to put this team together. The last 2 years we had Henne and Henning running the woeful offense. A change of QB(Moore), more speed(Bush), and offensive style, and coordinator has finally got the offense clicking. We are scoring points.
The defense was playing in a funk for the first 4-5 games. The players reported out of shape and out of sinc due to the lock out. Nolan is just as responsible for several of those losses earlier in the year.
I am for keeping Sparano/Nolan/DaBol and Ireland next year if we can continue to play this way. Add to this team a RGIII and a couple of new OL players and DB's and we should be competing with New England for the title. Blowing up the team right now would be stupid.
Sparano doesn't deserve all of the blame or all of the credit, but he has finally figured out how to push all the right buttons.

Amazing how other teams have won games yet we can make every excuse in the world for our team. Three staright losing seasons should not be rewarded

I was watching NFL Network today and saw an interview with Ben Volin. He said that Sparano, told the players this is all on you now, and that after the 0-7 start, he let the players manage themselves .. and this was the result because the players started having FUN!!! it appears the players responded resoundingly to being allowed to manage their training and practice schedules ... IF this is true, Sparano, seemingly WON OVER the ENTIRE TEAM!!! Dansby and other are now speaking glowingly of Sparano, and they claim they will talk with the owner at seasons end ... Dansby made a statement that the team started slow ... but it's my opinion many players came into camp over weight and out of shape and it showed earlier in the season .. The Defense let the team down big time, and it happened just when it appeared Henne had turned the corner ... I've said this before, lack of leadership might have played a bigger part in the teams turmoil ... Sparano has done all he could, but IMO too little too late, because his screaming ways hurt him big time .. if he stay's I truly hope he has finally learned his lesson that BP's ways aren't always the right way!!!

The problem with this is that there will probably be several high profile vacancies for the top 4 coaches.
Giants -Coughlin(Cowher), Philly - Reid ( Fisher), San Diego - Norv Turner(Gruden) with the possibility of Dallas( Garrett - the owner JJ might decide to upgrade), Tampa Bay, etc. I see a lot of coaching changes on the horizon.
Reid needs a year off to get his head together.
The list of coordinators and assistants is very ordinary. No upgrade there.
Standing pat might be our best move the way it is shaping up.

How is standing pat again our best upgrade that has worked out so well at qb over the years. I think any assistant in the league is just as capable of having a 25 percent season winning percentage as Sparano.

I was watching NFL Network today and saw an interview with Ben Volin. He said that Sparano, told the players this is all on you now, and that after the 0-7 start, he let the players manage themselves .. and this was the result because the players started having FUN!!! it appears the players responded resoundingly to being allowed to manage their training and practice schedules ... IF this is true, Sparano, seemingly WON OVER the ENTIRE TEAM!!! Dansby and other are now speaking glowingly of Sparano, and they claim they will talk with the owner at seasons end ... Dansby made a statement that the team started slow ... but it's my opinion many players came into camp over weight and out of shape and it showed earlier in the season .. The Defense let the team down big time, and it happened just when it appeared Henne had turned the corner ... I've said this before, lack of leadership might have played a bigger part in the teams turmoil ... Sparano has done all he could, but IMO too little too late, because his screaming ways hurt him big time .. if he stay's I truly hope he has finally learned his lesson that BP's ways aren't always the right way!!!

Hahaha, wow, so you are advocating that Miami keeps a coach who just lets the players do whatever they want?

I wonder what Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Bill Belichick, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, etc. think about that.

Amazing how other teams have won games yet we can make every excuse in the world for our team. Three staright losing seasons should not be rewarded

Not excuses just facts.
If you were the manager of a poor performing business, the workers make or break you.
Sparano has finally found a productive combination.
Sparano(and Team) may lose the rest of the games, but the evaluation should not be made now while things are running great. Let us see how the do in the last 4 games.

Peyton Manning was joking about this with the CBS crew prior to the Pats game about Marino taking that position. I don't like it. All you ever hear from Ireland and his supporters is how all the bad picks were Tuna's fault and how Ireland nailed all the good picks. Isn't that convenient. I think we need a GM who will be acountable for his picks and have final say on personnal moves. Otherwise with the VP you just have a half-assed HC and a half-assed GM. Exactly what we have now. No good coach will want to be questioned and roll up to some godfather type. We'll just end up with another buffoon like Sparano.

Bad idea. Another layer of management is always a bad idea..

Not excuses just facts.
If you were the manager of a poor performing business, the workers make or break you.
Sparano has finally found a productive combination.
Sparano(and Team) may lose the rest of the games, but the evaluation should not be made now while things are running great. Let us see how the do in the last 4 games.

he has been productive the last 5 weeks out of a 12 game season so far . even if he wins out we still just break even. is that what you expect of a coach after 4 years and the odds are he wont break even. You do realize next year is a new season, so what happens when players are out of shape and it all starts again. Isnt three straight seasons of losing enough for you. Do you remember the last dolphin coach to have three staright losing seasons the great george wilson. Then a good coach came in and got the damn job done.

I'm good with giving sparano his last year of his contract. If he can go 7-9 this year I give him one more year. Draft a QB early to play behind Moore I'll be happy. We can win with sparano and Moore give then more time keep the staff one more year.

How in the hell can Andy Reid excite anyone?? He is running the Eagles into the ground this year. Gruden is an overrated blowhard and Cowher has been away from the game for far too long. I see Cowher as Jimmy Johnson Part 2.

On the flip side, Sparano may have finally figured it out. The light bulb may have popped on for him. Maybe we could ride this into next year and come blazing out of the gates at the beginning of next season. If that's the case then keep Tony.

It’s possible but can Ross & we the fans really afford to take that chance? If memory serves, Sparano has never gotten off to a fast start. 2-2 in 2010 being the best

I was watching NFL Network today and saw an interview with Ben Volin. He said that Sparano, told the players this is all on you now, and that after the 0-7 start, he let the players manage themselves and this was the result because the players started having FUN!!!... Sparano has done all he could, but IMO too little too late, because his screaming ways hurt him big time .. if he stay's I truly hope he has finally learned his lesson that BP's ways aren't always the right way!!!

Here is where I’m conflicted.

I thought last season that maybe Tony & Jeff (for whatever reason) were to afraid to be themselves & always deferred to Bill and Henning (partially out of fear?)
Then again, maybe this is Tony talking the talk about accountability but not walking the walking the walk i.e. he is being a hypocrite. He can take credit but not blame

It did seem like Henne had made some progress but that is a debate for another day.

I’ve heard Tony is friends with Sean Payton who IMO is the maverick of the Parcells coaching tree. I don’t think Tuna was too sad to see SP go to NOLA. Before I digress, let me say that maybe Tony & Daboll can sit down w/ SP & the NOLA offensive staff and get some pointers on how to coach, lead, etc...

Hahaha, wow, so you are advocating that Miami keeps a coach who just lets the players do whatever they want?

I wonder what Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Bill Belichick, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, etc. think about that.

You know, I want Sparano replaced because I don't think he is aggressive enough or innovative at all. The criticism you just gave him is ridiculous though. The players aren't doing whatever they want to do. If they were doing that, then this team wouldn't be coming together like they have. You want to see a team where the players do what they want to do and no punishment is given? Miami plays them this coming Sunday. As a result, that is a team that has fallen a part. How about the Detroit Lions? They do pretty much whatever they want to, and their season is falling a part. Jim Schwartz needs to buck up and get a hold on his team, because his players obviously don't have the personal responsibility to police themselves. I haven't paid any attention to your posts in the past, but I'm guessing you are one that has criticized the Dolphins and Bill Parcells for not hiring Rex Ryan. Guess what? Rex is also a coach that puts the onus on his players to police themselves and do the things they are supposed to do.

What Tony has effectively done is shed his micromanaging image. He's slowly but surely abandoning some tennants of the Parcells coaching philosophy. Is it too little too late? I personaly would like to see more aggressive game planning, but ultimately, this is Stephen Ross's decision. Coaches, just like players, learn and develop as they go. This may be a flash in the pan, or Tony may be coming into his own. Like I said, I don't consider him a particularly bright or innovative coach, and that's the ultimate reason I want to change. However, if I couldn't get Jon Gruden, I'm not convinced that the crop we will be looking at is really much of an upgrade to Tony if at all. Everyone wants to call Tony a 7-9 coach, and that's what his record suggests. Bill Belichick was once a 7-9 coach as well before he went back to being a coordinator prior to becoming the Patriots head coach.

It is too late. I dont want to hear about "Changed ways" That works in reverse too. I can hear Tony now, "Last season we got loose, but this year we need to lock down and get back to my style of coaching (Micromanaging)".
If he hasnt figured it out the past 2 losing seasons, its just too late.
Ross is a business man. Tony will inspire NO confidence from the fans next year. Thats no full stadium..It was stated above earlier, about poor management in a business. Customers go elsewhere, they leave because a product is better. However The Fins are a loyalty thing so the business arguement isnt really precise.
Does anyone remember going 0-7? Losing the last 3 last year? And what was Tonys answer to why that happened? He said he didnt know. This is the coach yall want to keep? The lockout? Well, the Pats are good, the Saints are good, The 49ers are good and Green Bay is undefeated. So much for the short off season excuse.
If a qb makes Tony great, what happens if Moore goes down? Or starts to suck? Then Tony sucks again..Conservative Tony needs to go.
He's in survival mode where he does all he has to to make it to next week. Where was this urgency to try new things 2 years ago? Screw Luck, my biggest off season move has been and continues to be Canning Tony.

You know, I want Sparano replaced because I don't think he is aggressive enough or innovative at all. The criticism you just gave him is ridiculous though. The players aren't doing whatever they want to do.

The post I quoted stated that the players are now managing their own training and practice schedules.

If we assume that the post that I replied to is correct, then we have a head coach who is so bad at coaching that the players are doing better when managing practice on their own.

Back
Top Bottom