2014 Draft: It is time to take the BPA | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Draft: It is time to take the BPA

And you are talking about past drafts that happened more than 3 yrs ago. Last actual lineman Ireland drafted was Jake Long.

Who might I add he also let go. And didnt do that great of a job in replacing him. And yes I did forget about Martin. But when your qb is getting hammered 2 yrs in sacks don't you think that if you are bombing in FA. Shouldn't you take action and draft somebody worthwhile! Especially when that is probably the biggest problem. Fix the line maybecwe get a little bit of a run game which could help the passing game?

Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, John Martin, John Jerry, Dallas Thomas, Shawn Murphy, and Donald Thomas were the drafted lineman i was referring to. All Ireland.

I agree, its inexcusable that our quarterbacks have been getting blown up. But it wasnt from neglect, it was from Ireland being a terrible talent evaluator and acquiring terrible lineman.

Why would you? Waste of a roster spot... He wouldn't play

Why do the best teams in the league carry more than 4 WRs on their rosters? It's called having depth and drafting for the future. A young receiver could possibly become that stud receiver that the Dolphins do not have right now. Also if someone gets hurt they can step in and prove themselves. The Dolphins have Wallace who struggled this year , Gibson who is coming off of a major injury, Hartline who is a decent player and Matthews who still has a lot to prove. Another problem is the Dolphins do not have a big physical receiver that will go up and fight for the ball.

Fixing the offensive line is the main priority this offseason, but that doesn't mean that the team shouldn't try to improve at other positions as well.

Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, John Martin, John Jerry, Dallas Thomas, Shawn Murphy, and Donald Thomas were the drafted lineman i was referring to. All Ireland.
T
I agree, its inexcusable that our quarterbacks have been getting blown up. But it wasnt from neglect, it was from Ireland being a terrible talent evaluator and acquiring terrible lineman.

Yeah forgot about some of those. Especially Pouncy. But my. Whole point has been that Phins have done bad in getting help in FA. Especially when it came to the line. I am at point to where draft is best right now because coaches can get guys that fit the schemes. Plus they will be young and eager to play.

Then in FA vets are expensive especially the good ones. Be cheaper to draft a good young kid.

Hell if Ireland didn't suck so bad at his job we wouldn't even be talking about this.So lets all hope new guy is better.

How about instead of worrying about who to draft Philbin actually plays "who is drafted"
Being last in the NFL rookie draft class snaps isn't something to be proud of.

1z14-2.jpg

Hopefully a new GM will fix this.

The draft isn't the best place to fill specific holes. Free agency is. Why? Because the draft offers a certain amount of uncertainty in several spots. First, will the draftee even pan out? Lot's of top picks have been terrible (Leaf, Mandarich, etc). Second, will the guy you need to fill a hole even be available? Miami really needs O linemen, and only 2 or 3 are really going to fit well. Will any of them be there for the pick? Who is left? So now you have to ask yourself if a guy you're not sure about is there at the position you need, but there's a guy who rates much better at a position you don't need as much, do you pass on the better player? That answer should almost always be NO.

Fix your target need areas in free agency where you know what a player can do already. Build team talent through the draft.

Hopefully a new GM will fix this.

im sure Philbin would have played any rookie that played well. He played Tannehill and Martin as rookies its silly to now label him as a coach that wont play rookies. What rookie did anything to stand out and deserve more playing time

No. What happens is that the 'BPA' status of a number of players is uncertain. Then it's just a crap-shoot of who's actually gonna be the best NFL player out of the mix 4-5 guys who all seem to be about the same degree of 'BPA'.

what if the best player happens to be a WR when they already have 4 solid guys, or DE where they have 2 starters and 2 backups who could also start. It all depends who the BPA is and what happens in FA

I'm of the firm belief that Miami shouldn't pass up on a stud receiver. I don't see a stud DE in this draft that will fall into Miami's hands...

more than likely at 19 your picking 2nd or 3rd best at every position available so whats the huge advantage of drafting the second best TE or the third best CB, or the third best receiver or the third or forth lineman. All the players in the first round of the draft qualify as the best players available

I think that's where you start to see teams drift towards need.
I think fans exaggerate the differences in potential picks. The 3rd best LB is not always more of a guarantee to be a good NFL player than the 5th offensive lineman.

For example: I think you can say that the offensive lineman who had the best rookie year was the big kid for San Diego (drafted out of Alabama). He was like the 4th tackle chosen and wound up having the best rookie season. He certainly had a better year than Dion Jordan.

I think with skill positions, in most cases the 1st best WR, RB or QB is better than the 2 or 3rd best. There's probably more liklihood of finding dimonds in later rounds on defense. Take For example Lamar Miller vs. Steven Ridley. Ridley drafted in a higher round was much more productive. Of course OL and other factors come into play for that example, but generally, I'd rater take ball handlers in early rounds.

So hypothetically you're telling me you'd pass on Sammy Watkins because Miami has Wallace, Hartline, a coming back from a serious injury Gibson and Rishard Mathews? That's the mentality that gets you to 7-9, 8-8 every year

Absolutely. That is absolutely correct. Absolutely the mentality that gets you to 7-9, 8-8. Not "we'll figure it out on the OL later." No, no. Definitely your thing. Absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom