2015 RBs in the draft: DEBATE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 RBs in the draft: DEBATE

I am Bane

BAKLAVA
Reaction score
There are many threads here on all the RBs coming out of the draft, and if worthy of getting the top guys at #14 or not. You guys think its worth it going Gurley or Gordon???

1) Melvin Gordon- Wisconsin: He EXPLODES with great vision, great acceleration, great feet under him and quick laterally making people miss. He doesnt have the quickest feet in the draft though. At 6'1'' 207 he doesnt have the strongest or biggest body, which he needs to improve on, as well as fighting through arm tackles better... tends to go down easy. I dont see him involved much well in the passing game.

2) Todd Gurley- Georgia: He has nice feet and great vision as he is a hard runner through the holes. He combines his nice feet with one and go moves to make defenders iss, and great balance. He doesnt seem to be a total breakaway type RB. And the biggest question we all know is his durability... 2013 ankle injury out for a month at least, as well as the ACL injury we all know of 2014. He was also suspended 4 games total in 2014 for violating NCAA rules.

these are the top guys.... #14? worth the risk boom or bust prospects do to their athletic abilities and talents???

Now these guys are highly totes as well, but more like RBs in the later rounds... maybe 3/4.

1) Tevin Coleman- Indiana: He is a hard, strong downhill runner who is always moving forward. His patience and vision are solid, but definitely could improve on. He can hit holes when there, sometimes slow to the hole... but can explode through nicely, and has good feet with one and go moves. Doesn't make players miss tackles, but he is strong to run through arm tackles while going forward. He is the only RB I noticed that is solid in the pass blocking scheme as well.

2) Jay Ajayi- Boise St: His balance and his feet may be the best of all the RBs, great footwork, great vision and can bounce off tackles. He explodes through the holes and uses his low power to drive. He tends to bounce out too much, and also may need more patience allowing to set up blocks. He has decent hands it seems in the passing game. I believe there was an arrest for theft somewhere in his career though (sweatpants?).

3) David Cobb- Minnesota: When he hits holes he is a great runner, but he sometimes dances too much in the holes. He does have good vision though. He has good speed, and great balance. Solid runner to get yards, usings strong legs to move forward, but is slower moving laterally. Not overly explosive player, but seems to be a very reliable runner in getting the job done.

4) Josh Robinson- Miss. St.: yes... 5'9'' 215, this mini man is thick and is great to watch. He is a ball when he runs, with great balance, great feet, and he hits the holes fast. He isnt shifty, not great laterally, but is a hard runner that has a decent one and go step and bounces off tackles well. He is also very patient at allowing his blocks to form before he gets upfield. He is good out of the backfield in the passing game as well. Emmitt Smith?

5) Duke Johnson- Miami: Might have the best speed in the draft, and he explodes. He is a tough, one cut runner with very nice balance. Good feet, but question marks go to his vision, and does he have fumbling issues?

6) TJ Yeldon- Alabama: His feet and lateral ability is tremendous, making people miss. He is patient for his blocks, but starts dancing way too often after hitting holes (instead of making instinctive cuts). He is an upright style runner, which can be scary in the NFL. He is good in the passing game out of the backfield. I'm not sure how he fits into schemes.

7) Tyler Varga- Yale: He is a hard runer with solid instincts. He goes downhill strong with an Excellent spin move. He isnt the quickest, but moves decently laterally to avoid tackles, and has good body balance. He is good in the passing game too, out of the backfield and blocking (but needs more work with his hands in blocking). He basically has played FB/RB, but may be smal lfor a FB in the NFL.

8) David Johnson- UNI: He has good speed, but only once he is in space. He is slow to the hole, and doesnt just GO enough. His instincts I question, and his footwork seems to be slow as he doesnt make people miss laterally. He is said to have a lot of power and tough to take down, but I dont see it in his running style as much... the power that is. He is great out of the backfield in the passing game.

just some of my thoughts after watching a lot of film on these guys.... what are your thoughts???

High on my list to obtain is Jay Adjayi, Tevin Coleman, Josh Robinson (who is so intriguing), and David Cobb.... not in any order right now.

I am not big on risking that #14 pick on a top prospect like Gordon/Gurley... i think there are just so many other positions we need help in and there is talent up there (especially with a trade down) that will really help our team out more in the long run!!!

Coleman is a 2nd RD RB, imo, and a guy that Miami should strongly consider if he's still on the board. I'd be very happy with Ajayi or Duke Johnson in the 3rd.

As for Gurley or Gordon at 14, it'd depend on what the board looks like. Not ideal, but if available Gurley and/or Gordon will be the best player available, and if they stay healthy, no WR would help the offense more than these two. I wanted us to draft Jeremy Hill last year. If we had, Miami could have made the playoffs. He's the biggest reason the Bengals made it.

Honestly I'd be pretty shocked if this team took a RB before day 3. But I've looked at the backs a fair bit and there's some guys I like. As for these guys:

Melvin Gordon: I actually grade as a high second rounder, I think Coleman's closer to him as a prospect than he is to Gurley to be honest. He doesn't have that one outstanding physical trait that sticks out to make him special. He doesn't have Charles speed or Marshawn's power. What he does excel at is he has great burst and vision, and excels sifting through traffic. He's a great prospect, but not elite, I don't think you can overlook the fact that his OL was dominant and most of his big plays came from running through gaping holes. He wouldn't be in the conversation for me at 14.

Todd Gurley: He is the cream of the crop in this class, and the best back to come out in a while. Great burst, great power, really moves exceptionally well for his size. I have no questions about his ability, he's a top 10 talent. The concern is obviously durability, and I'd be hesitant to draft him at 14 because of it, but sometimes you have to take chances on elite talent.

Tevin Coleman: Really like Coleman a fair bit. His running style reminds me a lot of Demarco and McFadden. To me his production is even more impressive than Gordon's, as the only significant threat on the entire Indiana offense. Great burst, gets around the edge just like Demarco does, runs with good power even with his upright style. In round 2 he'd be in the mix.

Jay Ajayi: In a few years we could look back and see Ajayi as the best back in the class, love the package he offers. His concerns are ball security, which is a significant red flag to a lot of teams. If he can be had in round 3 I think it's exceptional value. Kid runs with a lot of power and aggression.

David Cobb: I was excited to watch him at the senior bowl, and he didn't disappoint. He's one of those guys who doesn't have any skills that stick out, but he's well rounded and fits as a compliment to Miller. He showed well as a receiver at the Senior Bowl which was a question I had about him. He should have a long career by RB standards.

Josh Robinson: One of my personal favorites. He's a guy who could be had in round 4...and he'd be high on my list. I loved Branden Oliver last year, and he's a similar guy except he's got more weight tacted onto his short stature. I think he's the exact type of back we should pair with Miller.

Duke Johnson: Great all around back, big fan of his assuming he can stay healthy. He's probably my 4th ranked RB. I wouldn't draft him here because to me he doesn't have the necessary power, but he's electric and a very natural pass catcher.

TJ Yeldon: This is a guy I've struggled to get a feel on. Extremely quick feet, but his upright running style is going to stunt a lot of his power at the next level. If you put a gun to my head I'd say I'm not a fan, but still trying to get a feel for him. He's not a typical RB prospect, something about him is different.

Tyler Varga: Really impressive at the Senior Bowl. He's obviously a high character kid and he'll provide value as a role player. More of a mid-late round pick.

David Johnson: Love this guy as a 3rd down back, he's just supremely talented as a receiver. Easily the best receiving back in the draft. If he's there in round 4 he's a great option. Just so well rounded. Unfortunately he doesn't run with the power his size would dictate, and I think his upside as a runner is a little limited.

@Fear

No Abdullah? Come on I know he's not the big RB a lot of people want, but is there a more dynamic player in this entire draft at any position?

Don't let his size fool you either, can run with power.

He looks like Bo Jackson in Techmo Super Bowl, but in real life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmxCFTm887w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In any other draft he's a guaranteed 1st rnd pick IMO.

@Fear

No Abdullah? Come on I know he's not the big RB a lot of people want, but is there a more dynamic player in this entire draft at any position?

sorry sorry... I didnt add him to the list due to him not being mentioned often in threads, especially probbly not an option for us at all in our drafting spots... would you take him #14? where is Abdullah stated to be drafted anyways?

i basically was speaking on the more mid-round draft picks

sorry sorry... I didnt add him to the list due to him not being mentioned often in threads, especially probbly not an option for us at all in our drafting spots... would you take him #14? where is Abdullah stated to be drafted anyways?

i basically was speaking on the more mid-round draft picks

I doubt he gets out of the 2nd rnd.

I wouldn't draft him at 14, if I had a late 1st rnd pick I'd happily draft him there though. You can run your entire offense through him day in and day out.

Beard: I like... Gordon might not be the bestest athlete on the list, not the quickest, and tends to go down to easy with arm tackles... I wouldnt want him at #14 either. Gurley is so scary though with the injury concerns. Its a scary pick at #14 with that, but he does have the elite talent, like you said, and great size and athletic ability. Boom or Bust?

Josh Robinson I glad he is one of your favorites, cause he may be mine too... love his style, and he is a thick bowling ball rolling downhill. I also agree with you on not liking TJ Yeldon much... I would rather not pick him.

Ajayi and Coleman are on top of my list, but do you think Coleman will be round 2 pick??? That would stink for us, i doubt we would get him there.

I disagree with David Johnson though... i dont think he is a great get, because his only value i really see is in the passing game out of the backfield, where I would rather get a downhill runner instead like an Ajayi, Cobb, Robinson.

Great calls on the RBs

@Fear

I just went with the guys he listed. I like Abdullah, in that late 2 range. I don't like his fit here but I'm a fan.

Beard: I like... Gordon might not be the bestest athlete on the list, not the quickest, and tends to go down to easy with arm tackles... I wouldnt want him at #14 either. Gurley is so scary though with the injury concerns. Its a scary pick at #14 with that, but he does have the elite talent, like you said, and great size and athletic ability. Boom or Bust?

Josh Robinson I glad he is one of your favorites, cause he may be mine too... love his style, and he is a thick bowling ball rolling downhill. I also agree with you on not liking TJ Yeldon much... I would rather not pick him.

Ajayi and Coleman are on top of my list, but do you think Coleman will be round 2 pick??? That would stink for us, i doubt we would get him there.

I disagree with David Johnson though... i dont think he is a great get, because his only value i really see is in the passing game out of the backfield, where I would rather get a downhill runner instead like an Ajayi, Cobb, Robinson.

Great calls on the RBs

Gordon I don't think is necessarily a boom or bust guy. He excels at the necessary things to be a productive back. His vision and burst will be enough for him to be a valuable starter. With that said there's guys every year that can meet that criteria that go later. My point is I don't see the special physical tools. People I think are getting to caught up in his gaudy production when in reality any running back who runs a sub 4.5 and can hit a hole can break a lot of those 80 yard untouched carries. I also didn't add, in addition to lacking the power and speed of some of the marque guys, he isn't as elusive as someone like Shady.

I think Coleman is definitely looking like a 2nd round pick. I think he's in the tier below Gordon and Gurley, and high in that tier.

Regarding Johnson, it's really just his ability as a pass catcher. He's 220 and looks like a WR out of the backfield. That poses both positives and negatives of course. I want to watch more Northern Iowa tape before I write him off as a runner, he showed really quick feet at the Senior Bowl, but I do have concerns with him as a runner without a doubt. Disappointing because if he ran like his size would indicate he'd be exactly the type of back I'd be looking for to compliment Miller.

TJ Yeldon is becoming a little underrated in my opinion. Might be able to steal him in the 3rd round range.

I agree with Beard, Todd Gurley is the guy from this draft. Not sure about at number 14, but I can dream of what a difference he would make on this offense. Teams would have to respect the running game and the Dolphins could dictate rather than try to fool. In other words, Miami can become a team that can run the ball when they have to run it. That is a huge difference. Again, health is an issue with Gurley.

I'm also a big fan of Duke Johnson. There's just so much he can do for an offense and he can return kicks. Might be a little too much like Lamar Miller, though.

Another sleeper is Karlos Williams. I know he didn't have a great senior year and his instincts are questionable at this point. But he has so much upside with a nice power/speed combo. As a late rounder, he might be a nice complement to Miller.

Another sleeper is Karlos Williams. I know he didn't have a great senior year and his instincts are questionable at this point. But he has so much upside with a nice power/speed combo. As a late rounder, he might be a nice complement to Miller.

Now he's in the type of guy I'd be looking to target RND.5 or later. Have heard John Crockett mentioned late too, Matt Jones is another guy.

Love Josh Robinson in the 3rd or 4th round. I would be good with Malcom Brown from Texas as well

Coleman hung 200 yards on Ohio State. He's a one cut and go guy. I wouldn't say that he's that shifty, though. I think 2nd round makes sense.

If you take the acl out of it, I take Gurley over Melvin Gordon, easily. Gordon has that Jamaal Charles feel, which is a compliment. But Gurley is on a whole other level. Big time. He could bring what Ricky in his prime did. If the acl checks out, I'd be extremely intrigued by Gurley at 14. He could be a major steal. There are only a certain number of complete difference makers, and he's one.

I'm for trying to get Ajayi in round 3...he is the back I think will explode in the NFL.

Gurley is an injury risk to me......I love Gordon if we do go RB in round 1.

But I prefer getting a big red zone target or dominant DT in round 1. I

Here's a question- what's your preference:
Round 1 White/ Round 2 Abdullah OR
Round 1 Gurley/ Round 2 D Smith

Tough call..

I used to play against Varga, he is a freak of nature. He may be listed as a full back but to be honest if we were to pair his strength with miller's speed we would have an unreal running game with Miller as the Big play, Varga as the power back, and RT to keep defenses honest

Back
Top Bottom