2015 RBs in the draft: DEBATE | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 RBs in the draft: DEBATE

first of all I would rather have an ILB, or top CB as a top pick... not WR.

second of all I mentioned that he wasnt shown much in the passing game, I didnt say he wasnt going to be good... it was just on observation from his Wisconsin offense that I coldnt really comment on.

Yes, he doesnt have the quickest feet in the game... Yes he doesnt fight through arm tackles well and tends to go down easy (which I believe doesnt help with his size, and frame), needs to work on strength.

Is he a top talent, Yes, thats why I seperated him and Gurley from the others... Do I think we shold draft him #14, no. But I am not downgrading him, just speaking my opinion after watching his films.

1. If your saying to me Mckinney or Trae Waynes will have a bigger impact than Gordon I would disagree.

2. Your suggesting he wouldnt be good in the passing game by saying he wasnt used much in it.

3. What is having the quickest feet about exactly? All I know is he hits the hole or the outside with authority.

4. Everyone works on strength when they get to the pros. Some need to lose weight. some need to get their minds right. some need something to improve on. But this guy clearly stands tall above the frey. His stats prove it. Hey look everybody! Wisconsin is going to run the ball! And there he goes!

5. If you think we shouldnt draft him at 14, then I just want you to explain to me why he wouldnt be worth it vs. others mentioned above? The idea behind your first round pick is to have instant impact. So a CB is going to come right in here and just take over? Does anyone remember Surtain and Madison? They didnt do that. It took a year to second year to actually start with any kind of impact.

Gordon is my favorite RB in this draft, I think he's better than Gurley, and I'd draft him 14.

But Abdullah is more shifty and more polished all around than Gordon IMO. There both incredobly dynamic though, so its a close call there. His small hands is really his only knock. But it is a big one.

I still put him right up there with the best though, to me he's easily the 3rd best RB in this draft, in the right system he's going to put up Big #s.

IMO Abdullah is clearly the most dynamic RB since Jahvid Best. Not saying he's the best, but juding purely who the most dynamic Rbs are, it's definitely Abdullah. It doesn't take much to get him from one side of the field to the other, and there's a Lot more ways to get him the ball than the other guys in this draft, he's done it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQC2EW5gLkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are alot of good RB's in this draft IMO and there is certainly an argument that can be made to draft one later, but In my mind, I see instant pro bowler in Gordon and not just from his abilities, but the intangibles like being a great team leader and teamate and character. I just truly think he stands above the others in the total package and it shows in his highlights. And I like Duke, Abdullah, and many others in this draft. Alot of guys I never heard of will make some statement on some team I am sure of it.

I certainly think having Gordon would force Lazor to run the ball more than he does or has and presents a bigger impact right away.

But...I dont think Hickey is thinking this way at all.

1. If your saying to me Mckinney or Trae Waynes will have a bigger impact than Gordon I would disagree.

2. Your suggesting he wouldnt be good in the passing game by saying he wasnt used much in it.

3. What is having the quickest feet about exactly? All I know is he hits the hole or the outside with authority.

4. Everyone works on strength when they get to the pros. Some need to lose weight. some need to get their minds right. some need something to improve on. But this guy clearly stands tall above the frey. His stats prove it. Hey look everybody! Wisconsin is going to run the ball! And there he goes!

5. If you think we shouldnt draft him at 14, then I just want you to explain to me why he wouldnt be worth it vs. others mentioned above? The idea behind your first round pick is to have instant impact. So a CB is going to come right in here and just take over? Does anyone remember Surtain and Madison? They didnt do that. It took a year to second year to actually start with any kind of impact.

i never said Waynes or McKinney will have bigger impacts... I actually like Eric Kendricks best at ILB. and PJ Wiliams at CB... but if you have read within my threads and comments you would see I am about trading down a bit most likely due to all the talent that is available in the lower first round and second round.

But please stop suggesting that I dont think Gordon is a top back... once gain I said I wasnt sure how well he is in the passing game due to not seeing him used much in there, so yes thats a question mark there. Second of all... he doesnt have the quickest feet out of the RBs I have watched, but he is an elite talent who explodes and does have good feet. Quickest feet is moving in and out of cuts and breaks, laterally, side stepping, and one and going.... examples to add. He does a great job with his footwork, but there are a few with better feet. Doesn't mean he isnt the #1 or #2 RB off the board (I actually stated that him and Gurley are the top 2 RBs). You gotta settle down... I am just giving my opinions on what I seen on the films... I am not downgrading him in anyway.

I respect your opinion as the top RB off the board, and that you would like him as a Dolphin at #14... I just disagree with it seeing that we need more strength in other areas as well as I would like to trade down if possible. Especially with RB talent we can get in later rounds.

Mel Gordon not the quickest feet? I think this is purely a non-issue.

How bout his lateral movement into open field while accelerating? There is no RB in this draft that can do what he can with such precision. And his breakaway speed is quite obvious. No mention of that.

His body size? Who the frick cares when he hits the hole with such vision and also is patient with his blocks while quickly picking the hole to punch through to second level.

I am sorry, this guy would make this team very relevant in Bill Belechicks mind. Now, not only does he need to worry about Miller hitting the outside, but also would have to focus on a run game that would put alot of their energy into that while leaving the passing game more wide open.

To suggest he is no good in the passing game is just insane. There is no way to predict how someone will transition from a Wisconsin based run game that is always that way to an NFL environment where passing game is constantly evolving. At the very least, he opens up the passing game because of his threat. And he or Miller could be split out to provide questions to the opposing DC.

What I see here is people downgrading him so they can get what they really want, a big WR. That to me is easy to see because it is the constant around here every year.

Will I be dissapointed if we get one of the four big WR's (I include Strong here), no, but dont feed me crap for your agenda please. Its obvious. And I include all who propose he is not a first rounder.

If Gordon goes to SD, Baltimore, Indy, ect ect. its all over, we wont be beating those teams.

Ya you're right, there's only one right evaluation on the guy and you know it. Give it a rest.

Gordon's ability at the second level is what makes him special and worth our 1st. His combination of balance, acceleration, wiggle, and vision make him absolutely deadly as he comes through the hole. He sets up moves and angles that turn 5 or 10 yard runs into 20 or 40 yarders. Not sure I've seen an RB who's better in this dept of the game. The way he moves and cuts through the second level is uncanny, it's like he's seeing the whole field on a video game screen. This is an RB who can get you yards in chunks and is always a threat for a huge play.

reposting this, to talk about other RBs too

SOME OTHER GUYS TO LOOK AT:

Popular Demand brings you:

Ameer Abdullah- Nebraska: Runs with great ballance and very shifty, he makes quick lateral movements without losing speed. His feet are always moving as he hits holes and makes people miss. He has good vision and instincts, and good patience behind his blockers. He lacks power though he is a hard runner that moves forward, he definitely isnt moving people. He has a small thin frame and size isnt a positive with him. Plus he has big fumbling issues (seems like mis-communication with the QB out of read options often too). Said to be high character and hard worker. Every Down back?

He is up there in the grouping of Gurley, Gordon and Coleman in my mind

OTHER GUYS:

Malcolm Brown- Texas: Is all downhill runner with great power, runs well behind his pads and is always moving forward. He has solid vision, runs hard and runs through arm tackles. Though not quick, his quickness seems effective, but he doesnt make people miss, not elusive. He plays fast. In the passing game I am not sure, doesnt seem to be used much there. Said to have a lot of hype coming in, but never played up to the hype or potential in Texas.

Jeremy Langford- Michigan St: He runs low, keeping pads at a good level, though has questionable power. He always has his legs driving, and his footwork is very interesting (not saying bad). He is patient for blocks to form, but doesnt have great vision. Laterally he slows down and needs to accelerate again after moves. I think I may of found the top pass blocker in the whole group of RBs, in where basically almost everyone else is poor.

John Crockett- No. Dakota St.: When gaping holes exist he explodes through with great speed, when holes are tighter he is slow into the holes with questionable vision. He doesnt move laterally well and isnt an elite athlete. He isnt a power guy either, not always moving forward. He is solid in the passing game out of the backfield.

Matt Jones- Florida: at 6'2'' 226 he shockingly doesnt have great power in his running. He doesnt fight through arm tackles, as well as doesnt move well laterally, doesnt make people miss. He does always keep his feet moving though. If holes are tight or doesnt exist he tends to stop.

Karlos Williams- Florida State: He is an upright runner with great feet and explodes, but needs work on his balance and running through tackles. He is very nice laterally and has power behind him. He doesnt hit holes hard, and his vision is quite poor. He doesnt have great experience as a RB,since he is a converted Safety, and with his lack of knowledge, vision and instincts in this he seems to be a big work in progress. Also had some sort of possible character issues as well.

Out of these guys Jeremy Langford is interesting, cause he always got the job done it seems... reliable guy most likely... Malcolm Brown may be the better overall RB than Langford, but Brown doesnt seem to have the reliability as much. Karlos Williams I most likely am putting on my NO draft list in time, and I am not a big fan of Crockett.

I dont think any of these guys take over the list of Coleman, Ajayi, Cobb, Robinson RBs that I have stated earlier

Gordon is my favorite RB in this draft, I think he's better than Gurley, and I'd draft him 14.

But Abdullah is more shifty and more polished all around than Gordon IMO. There both incredobly dynamic though, so its a close call there. His small hands is really his only knock. But it is a big one.

I still put him right up there with the best though, to me he's easily the 3rd best RB in this draft, in the right system he's going to put up Big #s.

IMO Abdullah is clearly the most dynamic RB since Jahvid Best. Not saying he's the best, but juding purely who the most dynamic Rbs are, it's definitely Abdullah. It doesn't take much to get him from one side of the field to the other, and there's a Lot more ways to get him the ball than the other guys in this draft, he's done it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQC2EW5gLkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Didn't you really like Sankey last year? Think you're making the same mistake. Abdullah doesn't consistently run through arm tackles, and that's a must for a great RB in the NFL. You don't have to be the most powerful, but that's the cut off. He can still be good, but he's not an ideal feature back.

Didn't you really like Sankey last year? Think you're making the same mistake. Abdullah doesn't consistently run through arm tackles, and that's a must for a great RB in the NFL. You don't have to be the most powerful, but that's the cut off. He can still be good, but he's not an ideal feature back.

I still like Sankey as the best all around back in last years class, not his fault he's stuck on a team with no direction, probably why Lake Dawson was let go recently.

And you don't draft Abdullah to slam into a pile constantly, just like you wouldn't draft Jeremy Hill to try to cut it outside all the time.

David Cobb is a guy that could be what everybody thought Gilleslee could be but a little better IMO. Just a little bowling ball.

IMO if you want to look at a compliment for Miller you either need to focus on power guys, or guys that can be assets in the receiving game. As improved as Miller was this year, he is useless as a receiver.

David Cobb is a guy that could be what everybody thought Gilleslee could be but a little better IMO. Just a little bowling ball.

IMO if you want to look at a compliment for Miller you either need to focus on power guys, or guys that can be assets in the receiving game. As improved as Miller was this year, he is useless as a receiver.

theres some good options of more hard downhill runners, with some strength and power in the draft.

I'd say the best fits for that, and I agree entirely that those are the type of guys we have to target, are Mike Davis, Josh Robinson, David Cobb and David Johnson. All of them would make plenty of sense in the middle rounds.

I'd say the best fits for that, and I agree entirely that those are the type of guys we have to target, are Mike Davis, Josh Robinson, David Cobb and David Johnson. All of them would make plenty of sense in the middle rounds.

Mike Davis.... what are your thoughts on him... basically I have nothing on him right now.

Langford out of Michigan St should be on this list, too. A very balanced back who does everything well and gets better as the game goes on. If we don't address RB early I could see us nabbing him in round 4-5. If we look before then I'd love to see us get a Gordon/Ajayi/Cobb.

Langford out of Michigan St should be on this list, too. A very balanced back who does everything well and gets better as the game goes on. If we don't address RB early I could see us nabbing him in round 4-5. If we look before then I'd love to see us get a Gordon/Ajayi/Cobb.

he is on the list... pg. 4 theres a post with more RBs

and i agree... he gets the job done, seems reliable... i got my thoughts there on that post pg. 4

Back
Top Bottom