2015 WRs in the draft: DEBATE!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 WRs in the draft: DEBATE!!!

I am Bane

BAKLAVA
Reaction score
Kevin White- West Virginia: Amazing hands, fires off the line great, uses his hands very well in routes to cause separation, as well as runs a great assortment of routes, has great size and strength which he uses well and good speed, and seems to be a hard worker.

Amari Cooper- Alabama: Acceleration is amazing and is a big play maker, great quickness laterally, fires off the line great, runs good routes and a variety of, causes great separation consistently, gets to the high point to catch the ball with great awareness of whats around him, athlete with good speed, has nice hands but for some reason drops a pass here and there.

Devante Parker- Louisville: Great footwork, great hands, great athlete with great speed, can break away, route running needs work, even with his big frame he doesnt run aggressive routes or use it overly well, he tends to round his routes and doesnt cause deep separation consistently.

Sammie Coates- Auburn: Big man, big athlete, great frame, very nice release off the line but footwork and route running needs work as well as causing separation, his hands are not so good... very questionable hands. he seems like he could be a big play maker in the NFL, but more of a hit or miss type of guy. (Martavius Bryant?)

Justin Hardy- ECU: Very nice footwork and routes, seems to have nice speed and gets out of his breaks very well, good hands, and great ability in running after the catch, YAC guy. His focus may be an issue, I have a questionmark on that. seems to have good upside

Devin Smith- Ohio State: Awesome speed, not an overly strong guy, may struggle big against press coverage, even runs his routes with much finesse, but he does run very nice routes with good footwork in and out of breaks, very nice hands too.

Dezmin Lewis- Central Ark.: tall guy with good frame but needs to use it better, changes speed well off the line and is a smooth runner, but runs raw routes that mostly are quick hits and drags, can he stretch the field is a question mark for me, he has nice soft hands and seems to have a great work ethic and attitude to be easy coachable.

Phillip Dorsett- Miami: SPEED!!! SPEED!!! SPEED!!! and he can accelerate and burst, very solid footwork as well, he gets off the line well, runs the deep routes well, has nice hands, work on that footwork more and what a slot WR he can become. Obviously his size would be a question mark for NFL scouts, and can he be consistent with his hands... seems to be a worker and great teammate.

Jamison Crowder- Duke: Great footwork in and out of breaks, very nice soft hands, has great speed and acceleration and great quickness laterally, size and his overall strength is a big question, he doesnt use his hands or body well physically in routes, can he cause consistent separation?

Tyler Lockett- Kansas State: Great footwork in his routes, in and out of breaks, runs lots of vertical routes too, and has great ability after the catch especially i nspace making people miss, great quickness laterally, smaller target obviously and his catching radius is slim, but his hands arent the greatest as he seems to fight the ball often when catching.

Jaelen Strong- Arizona State: great height and body with great leaping ability, Jaelen is strong, he has good hands, his route running from the line and in and out of breaks need a lot of work, his footwork isnt great, he has great athletic ability and talent but needs a lot of work and development as an NFL WR, seems raw talent

Breshad Perriman- UCF: he has a very thick body, his hands are decent i believe more to him not having great focus on the catch, he isnt overly explosive especially off the line, acceleration seems to lack, and his route running is quite rounded out, he seems to be an average WR prospect

Austin Hill- Arizona: Has very nice hands and focus on the catch, he seems to be a workhorse with a big frame, that frame though he needs to work on getting stronger and using more in his route running, and coud improve on route running as well, not sure how explosive he can be, but definitely a solid possession guy with ability, came off a bad ACL injury 2013 but came back solid in 2015 and has a good ceiling to improve on with that.

Tre McBride- William and Mary: Great footwork, very soft feet in his breaks, runs great out patterns, has good speed, not sure if he is overly explosive and seems to fight the ball at times when catching. I think this kid has great upside and could be a great later round pick.

Titus Davis- Central Michigan: Has very nice feet and breaks down very well off the line and in his routes, his speed seems great but i need to see him using it breaking away more, his hands are questionable.

WR- Kenny Bell- Nebraska: plays aggressive and will go get the ball, doesnt have quick hands though and fights the ball, lets it get into body at times, he has nice quick and light feet with solid route running and off the line, needs to work getting in and out of his breaks a bit though, his acceleration seems very nice with very nice speed taboot, he is a blocker and will block through the end of the whistle (he just has his hands on the outside too much and will get holding calls often if he doesnt fix that). he seems like a competitor and has the Bestest hair out of the WRs in the draft!!!

Chris Harper- California: at 5'11''he is small and wiry, no power, but he has great speed and burst, he is awesome laterally with great quickness, he runs efficient routes with very light feet. I read he was compared to Desean Jackson style WR.

Quinshad Davis- UNC: Big tall guy but is slow off the line, lacks power in his routes and his running, acceleration is poor, a stiff player though he has adequate feet.

Dorial Green-Beckham: we all know whom he is, his freak athletic ability, his solid hands, his amazing ability of leaping to catch the ball at highest points, his big body, and what he offers... we also know his suspensions, off the field issues, attitude from his past... the now on all that who knows yet... red flags, but talent!!!

all these above are thoughts on guys in the draft from films i have been watching... Kevin White is the guy I have liked most... slot guys I liked is Dorsett, Lockett and Crowder... Players with a lot of upside it seems are Dorsett, Hardy, Hill, McBride, and I like Kevin White a lot still... much talent and depth at this position..... debate your thoughts.

these guys below I have as NO to draft.....

Devin Funchess- Michigan: His size and frame is awesome, his routes are poor, he doesnt even use that frame well in routes, his hands are awful, not sure how explosive he is though he is athletic.

Ty Montgomery- Stanford: Once again a very nice frame but he has awful route running, his hands arent good as he fights to catch the ball consistently, he doesnt create consistent separation either... he is a return man though.

Nelson Agholor- USC: he has great speed and is a runner when in open field and able to run straight, he lacks lateral quickness and acceleration is decent , he has poor footwork as well but does run a variety of routes, has nice hands and adjusts well to the ball.

Vince Mayle- Washington State: very nice speed but rounds his routes with poor footwork, though has good quickness, his hands are not great and has poor focus (most likely contributing to many of his drops), he basically runs digs slants and crosses, can he stretch the field? he brings great size, does he use his athletic ability well?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say DGB and Devin Smith fall in to the huge upside picks as well

Watched a lot of Pac 12 here in LA and saw both Nelson and Jaelen (sp) play quite bit I don't love either one for the Phins

I would say DGB and Devin Smith fall in to the huge upside picks as well

Watched a lot of Pac 12 here in LA and saw both Nelson and Jaelen (sp) play quite bit I don't love either one for the Phins

DGB I have in my thoughts constantly going back and forth on wanting to draft him or not... great upside there I agree with you... Beard has me debating him with my own self.

Devin Smith I also agree with lots of upside... i'm just still curious on him strength wise and his ability getting off the line well with his strength, but he seems to run great routes in and out of his breaks, i kinda need to see more though.

also thank you for the input on Agholor and Strong... I am agreeing with you there

I'm pretty high on Q. Davis, but he's returning to UNC.

Given the good work that Mayle does on special teams, and the upside he shows, I see good value in the 4th or later (decent value in the 3rd). Doesn't always play to his speed, but when he does, he's explosive. Fluid, good after catch. Has some power as a runner. Looks like a guy who could run in the 4.4's. Like his basketball background.

B. Perriman is also a high upside pick. Like his speed, strength, and body control. 20+ YPC.

D. Smelter, though, reminds me a lot of D. Thomas. He uses his body well, natural athlete, very strong, very competitive, nasty as a blocker, and he awesome after the catch. He's exactly the type of WR this offense should covet. Sucks about the ACL, but if you can get this guy in the 5th, that's stealing.

T. McBride is a nice athlete. Plays strong and fluid. Saw some bad drops, but he shows good hands overall.

I have D. Lewis as having some tools to work with, but the upside seems very limited. Just a guy.

I disagree with your take on Agholor. His catch to run is up there with the best in this class, plays bigger than he is, snatches the ball out of the air. Are you really saying that you would not spend a draft pick on him?

Goodley is a guy, imo, that deserves more love. Unorthodox WR, but he's very powerful and explosive. I liked him last year too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im cautiously optimistic after hearing about Hickey and Wallace meeting that he stays. Keeping Wallace gives us a LOT more flexibility. I think we will be looking at WRs in the 2nd round personally (assuming Wallace stays of course). I think by the time its all said and done Cooper, White, and Parker are gone by 14.

Guys who may/may not be there in the 2nd round would include: Coates, Smith, DGB, Agholor, and Strong. Some might sneak into round 1, and you might have to move up in Rd 2 for others but those are plausible targets I think.

In my dream scenario you walk away with Gurley and one of the 5 guys Ive listed above in the 1st two rounds. You can probably trade down and still get Gurley but you can't predict trades and I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Landry was getting more targets than wallace by the end of the Season. Wallace was already being fazed out, that's why I think the real reason is for him acting out.

2 players I think we will be taking a long look at in the 3rd rnd are Hardy and Harper. Hardy is probably closer to a late 2rd rnd pick though IMO. I'm REALLY high on Hardy. That guy completely NFL ready, will score a lot of TDs and get a lot of first downs for a lot of hears IMO.

I have not watched enough of Harper yet, but what I've seen from so far I like a lot, and think he fits that philbin style of WR.

Unless Jaelen or Dorsett are there in the 2nd rnd or we do some type of trading I don't think well draft a WR there. I think well do something similar to what we did last year, trading back and grabbing a WR a bit later.

I think your way off on Strong. for what it matters.

Roster Moves
1. I think Wallace ends up staying because the money is good and Hickey can't erase 10 TDs from the roster.
2. I think Gibson and Hartline are let go.
3. I think the draft strategy is contingent on whether the coaches believe Landry can play outside or is he strictly a slot receiver.

Draft Strategy
1. I think we need 2 receivers in this draft. First, we need a big target. Someone who doesn't necessarily separate with speed, but is a master of contested catches. A guy that can high point a ball and make a play...Bizarro Wallace.
2. Second, we need a smurf to run quick hitters. An Edelman, Cobb, or Harvin. Someone to catch a 4 yard drag and take it 11 or 12 yards. Someone who can operate out of the backfield as well as the slot.

I love White, Cooper, and Parker in that order. However, I don't expect any of those three to be available at 14. I don't trade up because we're more than 1 player away. I trade down. I trade into the bottom of round 1 or the top of round 2 and I grab McKinney or Perryman because the need at ILB is great and those are the 2 best by a longshot. Then I hope Jaelen Strong drops, but if I want to be sure, I trade back up to get him. Finally, I instruct my scouts to find me a smurf in the late rounds.

Im cautiously optimistic after hearing about Hickey and Wallace meeting that he stays. Keeping Wallace gives us a LOT more flexibility. I think we will be looking at WRs in the 2nd round personally (assuming Wallace stays of course). I think by the time its all said and done Cooper, White, and Parker are gone by 14.

Guys who may/may not be there in the 2nd round would include: Coates, Smith, DGB, Agholor, and Strong. Some might sneak into round 1, and you might have to move up in Rd 2 for others but those are plausible targets I think.

In my dream scenario you walk away with Gurley and one of the 5 guys Ive listed above in the 1st two rounds. You can probably trade down and still get Gurley but you can't predict trades and I wouldn't risk it anyway.
Wouldn't that be something if Miami got Gurley R1 and DGB in R2. While I wouldn't draft DGB in the 1st, he becomes an absolute bargain in the 2nd. I know there is risk with both of those guys. Maybe DGB grows up and nobody thinks about his past five years from now. Maybe Gurley stays healthy and becomes an elite back in the NFL. The Dolphins definitely need elite talent and those two have it.

Nice write-ups. Interested in opinions on Lippett? He's another big guy, I think 6-3 who seems like a nice fit for Miami. If the team can keep Wallace, then I think the focus will be on finding that big, physical receiver. I wouldn't rule out that the Dolphins would like to add someone like Dorsett if Wallace doesn't work out next season. He becomes an instant draft target IMO if Wallace is cut. I am a little concerned about Dorsett's hands.

As an offensive weapon/WR for this offense, I'd love to add Antwan Goodley. He doesn't have Harvin's wiggle, but he's more powerful, and you can use him in a lot of the same ways. He's more developed as a receiver than Harvin was. I think he's being underrated. Not for everyone, but he'd be a great fit in Lazor's system. He and Smelter are my two favorite guys relative to where I'm seeing them projected. If I could add Smelter in the 3rd and Goodley in the 4th, I'd be thrilled. That leaves the first two rounds to address defense, O-line, and/or RB. It'll depend on how the team deals with FA, but I can see McKinney or La'el Collins in the 1st, with either a Jay Ajayi or Xavier Cooper in the 2nd, Smelter and Goodley in the 3rd and 4th. Based on the projections I'm seeing, that's the way I'd look to go if I'm Hickey. You're adding bulk and high-end tools to the middle of your D or the middle of your O in the first two rounds (MLB, OG, RB, DT), and you're adding great RAC WR's with unique tools to a passing game that sorely needs those traits. You're also adding physical WR's and capable blockers (Smelter is an outstanding blocker). Tannehill would also succeed on deeper routes with Smelter, because he's great at using his size and speed to create separation down the field, and he's a huge target. Overall, you're adding athleticism and physicality to both units.

When I see some of the blocking assignments that Smelter executes, I have no doubt that he has the intellect to handle to route tree, and he has the quickness to get in and out of his breaks. 1st RD talent, 1st RD competitor, and he's not that raw. He and Goodley are two of the very best RAC WR's in the draft.

I'm pretty high on Q. Davis, but he's returning to UNC.

Given the good work that Mayle does on special teams, and the upside he shows, I see good value in the 4th or later (decent value in the 3rd). Doesn't always play to his speed, but when he does, he's explosive. Fluid, good after catch. Has some power as a runner. Looks like a guy who could run in the 4.4's. Like his basketball background.

B. Perriman is also a high upside pick. Like his speed, strength, and body control. 20+ YPC.

D. Smelter, though, reminds me a lot of D. Thomas. He uses his body well, natural athlete, very strong, very competitive, nasty as a blocker, and he awesome after the catch. He's exactly the type of WR this offense should covet. Sucks about the ACL, but if you can get this guy in the 5th, that's stealing.

T. McBride is a nice athlete. Plays strong and fluid. Saw some bad drops, but he shows good hands overall.

I have D. Lewis as having some tools to work with, but the upside seems very limited. Just a guy.

I disagree with your take on Agholor. His catch to run is up there with the best in this class, plays bigger than he is, snatches the ball out of the air. Are you really saying that you would not spend a draft pick on him?

Goodley is a guy, imo, that deserves more love. Unorthodox WR, but he's very powerful and explosive. I liked him last year too.

Agree with a lot of this. I'm a Smelter fan but wouldn't spend a pick on him now. He'll be a UDFA, IMO. I think Goodley is very underrated. If we didn't have Landry I'd be pushing harder for him, but we need a boundary guy with a big catch radius and that's not Goodley. Whoever takes him will be glad they did, IMO.

Edit: I see Smelter is invited to the Combine. Presume the ACL isn't as bad as I thought? Maybe he will get drafted after all.

Leonte Caroo of Rutgers is a guy I really wanted for us this year, but he stayed in school for his Senior year. watch out for him next year though. That kid is good.

DGB I have in my thoughts constantly going back and forth on wanting to draft him or not... great upside there I agree with you... Beard has me debating him with my own self.

Devin Smith I also agree with lots of upside... i'm just still curious on him strength wise and his ability getting off the line well with his strength, but he seems to run great routes in and out of his breaks, i kinda need to see more though.

also thank you for the input on Agholor and Strong... I am agreeing with you there

DGB will be the one you look back on and wish you'd have drafted him.

I think Cooper, White & Parker will be gone removing WR from consideration at pick 14.

I see us getting one later.

Devin Smith, Dorsett or Locket.

Back
Top Bottom