2015 WRs in the draft: DEBATE!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 WRs in the draft: DEBATE!!!

Landry was getting more targets than wallace by the end of the Season. Wallace was already being fazed out, that's why I think the real reason is for him acting out.

2 players I think we will be taking a long look at in the 3rd rnd are Hardy and Harper. Hardy is probably closer to a late 2rd rnd pick though IMO. I'm REALLY high on Hardy. That guy completely NFL ready, will score a lot of TDs and get a lot of first downs for a lot of hears IMO.

I have not watched enough of Harper yet, but what I've seen from so far I like a lot, and think he fits that philbin style of WR.

Unless Jaelen or Dorsett are there in the 2nd rnd or we do some type of trading I don't think well draft a WR there. I think well do something similar to what we did last year, trading back and grabbing a WR a bit later.

you think Hardy is round 2? cause I agreee I like him a lot and he has great upside.... I am really praying we can snag Dorsett in the 3rd... but once again, not sure if he will fall that far.

i think we may be aiming at WR more 3-4 rounds though... but thats just my prediction. (especially if White isnt there at 14)

As an offensive weapon/WR for this offense, I'd love to add Antwan Goodley. He doesn't have Harvin's wiggle, but he's more powerful, and you can use him in a lot of the same ways. He's more developed as a receiver than Harvin was. I think he's being underrated. Not for everyone, but he'd be a great fit in Lazor's system. He and Smelter are my two favorite guys relative to where I'm seeing them projected. If I could add Smelter in the 3rd and Goodley in the 4th, I'd be thrilled. That leaves the first two rounds to address defense, O-line, and/or RB. It'll depend on how the team deals with FA, but I can see McKinney or La'el Collins in the 1st, with either a Jay Ajayi or Xavier Cooper in the 2nd, Smelter and Goodley in the 3rd and 4th. Based on the projections I'm seeing, that's the way I'd look to go if I'm Hickey. You're adding bulk and high-end tools to the middle of your D or the middle of your O in the first two rounds (MLB, OG, RB, DT), and you're adding great RAC WR's with unique tools to a passing game that sorely needs those traits. You're also adding physical WR's and capable blockers (Smelter is an outstanding blocker). Tannehill would also succeed on deeper routes with Smelter, because he's great at using his size and speed to create separation down the field, and he's a huge target. Overall, you're adding athleticism and physicality to both units.

When I see some of the blocking assignments that Smelter executes, I have no doubt that he has the intellect to handle to route tree, and he has the quickness to get in and out of his breaks. 1st RD talent, 1st RD competitor, and he's not that raw. He and Goodley are two of the very best RAC WR's in the draft.

i like... but i do have to look at Smelter and Goodley more still though. Goodley I am worried on though in his offensive system he is coming from though, and how well he will translate into the NFL route running and systems. Are these guys rated round 3-4 though??

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

I think your way off on Strong. for what it matters.

I'm not saying I dislike Strong or not to draft him... i just am stating what i see of areas he needs to work on or where I dont think he excells. he is a big target and an athlete... but more raw than others in the draft.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

FROM SF DOLPHIN FAN:
Nice write-ups. Interested in opinions on Lippett? He's another big guy, I think 6-3 who seems like a nice fit for Miami. If the team can keep Wallace, then I think the focus will be on finding that big, physical receiver. I wouldn't rule out that the Dolphins would like to add someone like Dorsett if Wallace doesn't work out next season. He becomes an instant draft target IMO if Wallace is cut. I am a little concerned about Dorsett's hands.

Tony Lippett of Michigan State I really didnt look into more yet... I am just confused is he going WR or DB??? talent ability, but that stuff tends to scare me in these type of more profile positions, how well these types of guys will thrive consistently.

you think Hardy is round 2? cause I agreee I like him a lot and he has great upside.... I am really praying we can snag Dorsett in the 3rd... but once again, not sure if he will fall that far.

i think we may be aiming at WR more 3-4 rounds though... but thats just my prediction. (especially if White isnt there at 14)

2 is probably high now that I think About it, especially where we draft.

But like I said I could see us doing what we did last year and Trade back and grab a WR with our 3rd pick, Jarvis was probably more of a 3rd rnd projection than a 2nd but they took the guy they wanted late 2nd to make sure they got the guy they wanted.

Talent at any 1 position may seem deep, until you eliminate scheme needs, than your list becomes a lot shorter depending on wants/needs, forcing you to take guys higher than projected. I def think hardy could fall in that category.

It's doubtful well be drafting any players that resemble a project player, our entire coaching and Front office staff have there jibs on the line, as much as people want to ignore that, you can't.

2 is probably high now that I think About it, especially where we draft.

But like I said I could see us doing what we did last year and Trade back and grab a WR with our 3rd pick, Jarvis was probably more of a 3rd rnd projection than a 2nd but they took the guy they wanted late 2nd to make sure they got the guy they wanted.

Talent at any 1 position may seem deep, until you eliminate scheme needs, than your list becomes a lot shorter depending on wants/needs, forcing you to take guys higher than projected. I def think hardy could fall in that category.

It's doubtful well be drafting any players that resemble a project player, our entire coaching and Front office staff have there jibs on the line, as much as people want to ignore that, you can't.

agreed on not drafting project guys... i hope we dont get any of those, and i wrote a few down on the NO to draft thread too.

I hope round 2 is high for Hardy and/or Dorsett so we can one of them in the 3rd or something. and yup on the schemes too.

where are you thinking on trading back, or hoping on??? I am still quite big on trading bak from our 14 spot... gives us more options in many positions to draft round 2/3/4, where there should be nice talent in positions of need

[/COLOR]

I'm not saying I dislike Strong or not to draft him... i just am stating what i see of areas he needs to work on or where I dont think he excells. he is a big target and an athlete... but more raw than others in the draft.

I knew you would defend yourself on this matter but I am not sure a guy who produced this over two years should be considered "raw".

26 games, 157 receptions, 2,287 yards, YPC 14.6, and 17 TD's.

The knock on him is speed. If he were to run a 4. 49 at combine, his stock will rise out of top second round for sure. He may already be there for a team like Baltimore who is looking for someone like him.
I see him as a fit in this offense as an outside possesion type who can run the basic routes that move the chains and a red zone target for Ryan. I dont see him as a bust like the Hill kid for the Jets but I dont see him as having a breakout first year either. He would not be counted on early on but comes along as season progresses. Like most any other receiver aside from draft status.

I would have no problem taking Strong at 48 but think he will be gone. There are more polished receivers in this draft to make a diff from get go IMO, guys like Alghalor (sp?) and Lockett.

agreed on not drafting project guys... i hope we dont get any of those, and i wrote a few down on the NO to draft thread too.

I hope round 2 is high for Hardy and/or Dorsett so we can one of them in the 3rd or something. and yup on the schemes too.

where are you thinking on trading back, or hoping on??? I am still quite big on trading bak from our 14 spot... gives us more options in many positions to draft round 2/3/4, where there should be nice talent in positions of need

I personally would not trade back, I think this draft is talent deficient and I'd be more likely to stay put or even trade up. But I don't think our FO will see it that way, but who knows.

We have needs for sure, but I don't think we have the pressing needs like we did at Right tackle last year, IMO we should fill our basic needs in free agency and try to ensure we can go bpa in rnd 1 and 2.

Our division is going to be really tough this season, we have the SB champs and the jets and Buff are going to go all out to win now. We probably have 3 top 10 defenses in our division, which is why I think we should go Bpa on offense. Were gonna need more talent on offense to beat these guys.

Landry was getting more targets than wallace by the end of the Season. Wallace was already being fazed out, that's why I think the real reason is for him acting out.

2 players I think we will be taking a long look at in the 3rd rnd are Hardy and Harper. Hardy is probably closer to a late 2rd rnd pick though IMO. I'm REALLY high on Hardy. That guy completely NFL ready, will score a lot of TDs and get a lot of first downs for a lot of hears IMO.

I have not watched enough of Harper yet, but what I've seen from so far I like a lot, and think he fits that philbin style of WR.

Unless Jaelen or Dorsett are there in the 2nd rnd or we do some type of trading I don't think well draft a WR there. I think well do something similar to what we did last year, trading back and grabbing a WR a bit later.

Love Hardy. I've got a high 2 grade on him, it'd be like adding another Landry with more speed. A guy who's just super QB friendly and knows how to get open. Can't see him having anything short of a solid career. Doesn't add the size, but he's so talented. If he's there in round 3 I'd run it up, round 2 he's on my list.

Dorsett would be a very solid second round pick as well.

Love Hardy. I've got a high 2 grade on him, it'd be like adding another Landry with more speed. A guy who's just super QB friendly and knows how to get open. Can't see him having anything short of a solid career. Doesn't add the size, but he's so talented. If he's there in round 3 I'd run it up, round 2 he's on my list.

Yeah he's very Jarvis landry Brandon Gibson like, he may not burn you for the big ones, but he will consistently catch the ball for a 8-12 yard catch and get an extra 3-5 yards after. Much better hands than Gibson though.

I like Dorsett a lot too, but that depends on the Wallace situation. And quite frankly, tannehill isn't great at throwing the deep ball, so is there even a point on drafting WRs high that specialize in that?

Brady is not a great deep ball throwing and I just watched him pick Seattle apart throwing 4-5 yard passes to Vereen and Edelman. So when people tell me we need these super fast players. Or super big, or super athletic, I just don't buy it.

I personally would not trade back, I think this draft is talent deficient and I'd be more likely to stay put or even trade up. But I don't think our FO will see it that way, but who knows.

We have needs for sure, but I don't think we have the pressing needs like we did at Right tackle last year, IMO we should fill our basic needs in free agency and try to ensure we can go bpa in rnd 1 and 2.

Our division is going to be really tough this season, we have the SB champs and the jets and Buff are going to go all out to win now. We probably have 3 top 10 defenses in our division, which is why I think we should go Bpa on offense. Were gonna need more talent on offense to beat these guys.

the reasoning behind my trade back is we can obtain extra 2/3 pick as well.... now i am saying this thinking top WRs for #14 are gone... ILBs are not there (would Kendricks be a #14 worthy for you or can we get him a bit down?)... CB i bet we can find lower as well as RB (cause Gordon and maybe Gurley, injury issue, could be gone)... would you want DT (Shelton) at #14 or can we snag lower.... i'm just thinking as of now will our #14 be worthy of that spot, or can we get that player a bit lower if we traded down.

now i am also thinking on all this in February... draft is far away and much changes within the days.

i'm also big on Hardy, I agree, and you saw how he knows how to run his routes too it seems... stinks you see him as a high 2 grade though... makes it tougher on us. same with Dorsett... would love to have him but that second round tag on him UGH.

xXWarXx... check out some clips on Chris Harper from Cal... he is small and wiry, but his quickness and laterall ability is nuts, its fun and interesting to watch... Sproles like I am saying now, late night, without fully thinking.

the reasoning behind my trade back is we can obtain extra 2/3 pick as well.... now i am saying this thinking top WRs for #14 are gone... ILBs are not there (would Kendricks be a #14 worthy for you or can we get him a bit down?)... CB i bet we can find lower as well as RB (cause Gordon and maybe Gurley, injury issue, could be gone)... would you want DT (Shelton) at #14 or can we snag lower.... i'm just thinking as of now will our #14 be worthy of that spot, or can we get that player a bit lower if we traded down.

now i am also thinking on all this in February... draft is far away and much changes within the days.
The Dolphins might end up being in a perfect position to gamble. The question is will they do it? If the top four receivers are off the board (likely it seems), the team could trade down and get someone like Gurley or DGB in R1. In the process Miami could also get another high draft pick. A trade down could also work for Kendricks, who has to be a target for this team.

I knew you would defend yourself on this matter but I am not sure a guy who produced this over two years should be considered "raw".

26 games, 157 receptions, 2,287 yards, YPC 14.6, and 17 TD's.

The knock on him is speed. If he were to run a 4. 49 at combine, his stock will rise out of top second round for sure. He may already be there for a team like Baltimore who is looking for someone like him.
I see him as a fit in this offense as an outside possesion type who can run the basic routes that move the chains and a red zone target for Ryan. I dont see him as a bust like the Hill kid for the Jets but I dont see him as having a breakout first year either. He would not be counted on early on but comes along as season progresses. Like most any other receiver aside from draft status.

I would have no problem taking Strong at 48 but think he will be gone. There are more polished receivers in this draft to make a diff from get go IMO, guys like Alghalor (sp?) and Lockett.

I think you know me better than my girlfriend... and Strong also destroyed in JUCO before he came to Arizona State. Just so you know I like Strong a lot and think he is one of the better WRs once again. The reason I didnt speak much of him is because I dont think he will be there for us drafting wise, like you said. Now also I do find his footwork and route running in need of a lot of work and development, but once again he is an amazing athlete, and has great potential and ability that is going to take time to develop in the NFL. Like you said too, itll take time (at least not the first year).

Also as Miami I would rather draft a more polished WR for this year, and possibly even a lower round guy more 3rd... but if talent is there at 14 (Kevin White) or someone for our 2nd pick (not Funchess I'm sick of hearing his name... or Agholor)... then I wouldnt complain. But once again Strong is one of the top talents with athletic ability in this draft no doubt. also... just my opinion

And oh my... please dont compare him to Hill of the Jets... BLEH!!! :tongue:

lets talk a bit on Lockett too.... what you think of him? If all there and able to draft... Lockett, Dorsett, or Crowder?

The Dolphins might end up being in a perfect position to gamble. The question is will they do it? If the top four receivers are off the board (likely it seems), the team could trade down and get someone like Gurley or DGB in R1. In the process Miami could also get another high draft pick. A trade down could also work for Kendricks, who has to be a target for this team.

one main target I am thinking on the trade down is Kendricks actually. then you can get a pick in the 2nd/3rd or whatever to add more talent to your needs as well (if trade down worked out). Its just thoughts as of now in February though

Wouldn't that be something if Miami got Gurley R1 and DGB in R2. While I wouldn't draft DGB in the 1st, he becomes an absolute bargain in the 2nd. I know there is risk with both of those guys. Maybe DGB grows up and nobody thinks about his past five years from now. Maybe Gurley stays healthy and becomes an elite back in the NFL. The Dolphins definitely need elite talent and those two have it.

I would be ecstatic if we were able to do that. 2 blue chip talent offensive players, both with concerns but both extraordinarily talented. If we did that and they both maxed themselves out with us, it will be reminiscent of the 90's Dallas draft which netted them some nice hardware

Back
Top Bottom