2016 NFL Draft: Miami Dolphins on the clock at No. 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2016 NFL Draft: Miami Dolphins on the clock at No. 13

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...fl-draft-miami-dolphins-on-the-clock-at-no-13

FACTS AND STATS
First pick in 2016 draft: No. 13 overall.
2015 finish: Third, AFC East
Record: 6-10
TOTAL OFFENSE: 372.3 (8th)
RUSHING: 100.6 (19th)
PASSING: 271.7 (7th)
TOTAL DEFENSE: 420.3 (32nd)
RUSHING: 121.4: (24th)
PASSING: 298.9 (32nd)
TEAM NEEDS
Cornerback: This is the No. 1 need on the team because replacing a playmaker such as Pro-Bowl cornerback Brent Grimes, who has excellent cover skills, is a tough task. Miami acquired Byron Maxwell in a trade with Philadelphia, but he's no Grimes.
Running back: The loss of Lamar Miller is huge. And there's no one to replace him. Jay Ajayi was OK last season but he's unproven. A good acquisition here could greatly help quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the offensive line. Right now Miami has a few bodies but no proven NFL players.
Nickel cornerback: Losing Brice McCain hurts, and just as in many other situations there's no quality backup. Returnees Jamar Taylor and Bobby McCain might be able to fill this role but both struggled last season. Most likely Miami needs to get a veteran.
Linebacker: The Dolphins acquired Kiko Alonso in a trade with Philadelphia, but his knee injuries remain a concern. Between returnees Koa Misi and Jelani Jenkins the Dolphins could use an upgrade. This is more likely to be handled in the draft. But an upgrade in the middle or on the outside is badly needed.

TIME TO PICK A PLAYER
BEST FIT: CB Eli Apple, Ohio State.
If Vernon Hargreaves (Florida) is gone, this is the pick at No. 13. If Hargreaves isn't there, Apple is the pick. Miami needs help at cornerback, but by swapping first-round picks with Philadelphia in the trade to acquire linebacker Kiko Alonso and cornerback Byron Maxwell the Dolphins might have done themselves a disservice. Regardless, Apple has the size and physical, aggressive nature the Dolphins would like to employ and pair with Maxwell.
Apple640.jpg
Eli Apple would make a nice corner pairing with Byron Maxwell. (USATSI) *NFLDraftScout.com analysts suggest (No. 13 overall).
Rob Rang: Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State. The Dolphins are looking to add speed on defense, especially at the linebacker level. Lee certainly offers range, and is an ascending player with high upside.
Dane Brugler: Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State. Even with defensive linemen Ndamukong Suh and Olivier Vernon often drawing multiple blockers, Miami's linebackers struggled to make big plays a year ago. Lee remains a bit raw after leaving Ohio State as just a redshirt sophomore, but his talent is obvious. A former quarterback and safety, Lee combines a unique perspective on coverage with outstanding athleticism, including closing speed and explosiveness as a hitter.

I am actually more on the Jackson train right now...I just see a better coverage corner there.

Hargreaves will be long gone and really is not in the conservation in my opinion.

i Completely agree with ya Bluefin. Jackson has all the measurables, physical, press CB. And 1 ****y SOB, which is just what a corner needs. Who cares if he's projected later in the first, if he's your guy take him in the first with pick 13.

I am not convinced Hargreaves fits this defense.

I am actually more on the Jackson train right now...I just see a better coverage corner there.

Hargreaves will be long gone and really is not in the conservation in my opinion.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/29/nfl-draft-big-board-prospects-william-jackson-sua-cravens

Bio: Jackson has become one of the most heralded pass defenders in this draft class, but he certainly didn’t start out that way. After transferring from Trinity Valley Community College, he became a fixture in Houston’s defense in 2014 and was named a second-team American Athletic Conference pick with 22 solo tackles, two interceptions and 10 pass deflections. But it was last season’s numbers that really put him on the national stage: 34 solo tackles, five interceptions (two returned for touchdowns), and 23 pass deflections to lead the nation in that category. Then, he blew up the scouting combine with a 4.32 40-yard dash, a 1.52 10-yard split, and a 9' 8" broad jump, ranking near the top among cornerbacks in all three drills. His combination of athletic ability and promising tape means that Jackson could easily find himself as a first-round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/william-jackson iii?id=2555179

6'0"
Height
31 3/4"
Arm Length
189LBS.
Weight
9 1/4"
Hands

Overview

Jackson started his career at Trinity Valley Junior College, and found himself a regular starter by the end of his first year with the Cougars in 2013. He stepped up his game as a junior to become a second-team American Athletic Conference pick (two interceptions, 10 pass breakups), ranking among the national leaders in pass breakups before suffering a sprained MCL late in the year. Jackson tweaked a knee during 2015, but started 12 of 13 games, again was named second-team all-conference and finished with five interceptions and 23 pass breakups, leading the nation in passes defended.

Pro Day Results
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds
3-cone: 6.86 seconds
Analysis
Strengths Good height and length. Stays low from a smooth backpedal. Plays with capable makeup speed when receivers get separation. Can click and close on throws in front of him with acceleration and has makeup speed deep. Possesses ball skills that defensive back coaches covet. Gets his head around to find ball on downfield throws and has excellent disruptive timing when attacking the throw. Instinctive and quick to diagnose and react to his keys. Allowed just 40 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed over last two years. Has feel for routes and will adjust coverage accordingly. Had three interceptions and scored two defensive touchdowns this season.
Weaknesses Average play strength and isn't as physical from press coverage as he could be. Might be knocked around by big NFL receivers if he's asked to press. Will get upright when transitioning from backpedal. Shows momentary delay when opening to run which can put him behind in footrace with speedy receivers. Tape shows instance of him getting knocked off balance at the top of the route. Will get hung up on perimeter blocks and isn't aggressive in run support. Too willing to run around block in support against screens. Was flagged seven times for 73 yards.
NFL Comparison Phillip Gaines
Bottom Line Tall cornerbacks with length who can run and play the football are usually in high demand and that could be the case for Jackson as well. While he has the traits for the position, the league is turning into small and fast or big and strong at the receiver spot and handling those two elements could take a year or two for him to improve in before he becomes a full-­time starter.

NFL
2016 NFL draft big board: Ranking top 100 prospects, sleepers
Video
NFL draft Big Board: 2016’s top 100 prospects
by Chris Burke
​Strengths: Has allowed 40% of his passes thrown to him to be completed over the last two seasons. Good-sized cornerback who plays bigger—Jackson brings an aggressive mentality to press coverage. Has the agility to turn the corner, pinning outside receivers to the boundary with inside position. Has the coverage chops to seamlessly send his aligning receiver into zone coverage while tightly covering his assigned receiver. Closes quickly with excellent recovery speed on targets running routes with quick back-end angles like curls and comebacks. Has an even stride to the seam on deeper routes. Mirrors to the corners of routes very well; has the consistent ability to track receivers at all levels. Shows a consistent ability to play bail and off coverage, closing in zone spaces. Attacks the ball with good timing and aggression—a primary reason for his high interception and deflection totals. Keeps his eye in the air on deep timing passes and has the mentality that the ball belongs to him. Good vertical and long arms give him an impressive catch radius. Good wrap tackler when he isn’t going for the kill shot. Showed good improvement in footwork and spatial awareness from year to year.

Weaknesses: Back-end speed is questionable, as he’s not a center fielder and can be outrun deep. Jackson could stand to be more efficient with his feet and overall positioning, and he can get turned around by quicker slot receivers and put out of place in open spaces. Needs to be less high in his stance at times to avoid losing ground against faster receivers running more complex route concepts. Less flexible in his hips than is expected from a top-level cornerback, he tends to flip to cover with athleticism instead. Could find himself out-muscled by bigger receivers when pressing at the NFL level. Not a blitzer or a run support asset at a high enough level. Needs to be more aware of screens and short passes. Can get too handsy at times, leading to penalties. Needs to be an outside corner at this point, since he isn’t tight enough in the slot to break into the lineup that way.

Best fit indeed...i hope we are smart enough to see it...

Take eli apple...

Best fit indeed...i hope we are smart enough to see it...

I watched some "tape" of Apple and nothing really screams good CB to me. He didn't jump off the screen like an elite college player should.

VH did, Alexander did, Jackson did. Apple was kinda just there.

Rang and Brugler know what's up. D. Lee is the goods.

Your usually pretty good at convincing me with prospects you like.

I'm not even close to coming around on Lee though. I just don't see him ever being a physical player. His tape reminds me of Shaq Thompsons too, who I also didn't like.

Your usually pretty good at convincing me with prospects you like.

I'm not even close to coming around on Lee though. I just don't see him ever being a physical player. His tape reminds me of Shaq Thompsons too, who I also didn't like.

He's better than Shaq IMO. He played against better comp and is more athletic (I think not fact backed)

This class isnt good enough to pass on legit upside talents

Its just not

If this class is known for putting out alphas i will be shocked

Vernon hargreaves tape is good enough where an off man team like tampa considering the brent grimes signing would shock the hell out of me if they passed him up

Unless they got another boundary corner scheme fit im not aware of...if you are off man and you pass that up the only way you do so is if you view the player as unable to play the boundary...and i really doubt that will be the consensus for an off man team...i think they will envision more than the slot and draft it as a 2016 #2 with confidence

Id do so also

This class isnt good enough to pass on legit upside talents

Its just not

If this class is known for putting out alphas i will be shocked

I as well. Only see maybe 3 "alphas": Tunsil, Buckner, Ramsey, and maybe Jack/Goff. Its going to take everyone else 2-5 years to become "alphas".

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/eli-apple?id=2555277

6'1"
Height
31 3/8"
Arm Length
199LBS.
Weight
9 3/8"
Hands

Overview

Though Apple was highly-recruited out of high school, Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer wasn't sure of what he had during the New Jersey native's first year on campus. But Apple was diagnosed with an iron deficiency that prevented him from giving full effort on the field, in the weight room, and in the classroom. Once that was under control, Meyer and the rest of the coaches saw Apple begin to fulfill his potential. Apple (whose given surname was Woodard, but changed it to honor his stepfather) started 14 of 15 games as a redshirt freshman during Ohio State's run to a national title. In fact, he sealed the Buckeyes' win over Oregon in the championship game, intercepting Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota's final collegiate pass. For the season, he totaled 53 tackles, 5.5 for loss, three interceptions and 10 pass breakups. Although Apple's statistical production decreased in 2015 (33 tackles, two for loss, one interception, eight pass breakups), Big Ten coaches recognized his ability to shut down opposing receivers by voting him second-team all-conference.
Analysis
Strengths Good height, weight and arm length combination. Clean footwork in transition with natural ability to mirror and match from press coverage. Won't open hips early and rarely turned around off line of scrimmage. Has foot quickness in short spaces to maintain feel for his man. Extremely competitive when ball is in the air. Has play strength to redirect receivers from their routes. Aggressive hands in coverage and fights hard to disrupt the catch by any means necessary. Finished with 22 passes defensed over last two years. Scouts praise him for work ethic and technical improvement over last two years. Will come downhill against run and is diligent with contain responsibilities. Has optimal size/speed numbers for an early round cornerback.
Weaknesses Can be slow to diagnose and anticipate quarterback's plans. Average reactive athleticism. Doesn't feature the balance or twitch to rocket forward and challenge throws if he's not shadowing his man. Won't always play to his size as a tackler. Dragged 18 yards after a catch against Penn State. Shows some stiffness as an open field tackler and allowed four broken tackles this season. Slow to turn head and find ball on deep throws. Becomes Mr. Grabs if he senses receiver is getting over the top of him or when he's trying to crowd the top of routes. Had four holding and seven pass interference penalties from 2014­-2015.
NFL Comparison Trumaine Johnson
Bottom Line Highly recruited two­-year starter who is entering the draft as a draft eligible redshirt sophomore. Apple's size and strength allows him to compete against physical receivers, but he also has the talent to mirror and match as a man defender. Covering for longer could be challenging early on after playing with talented defensive fronts who ravaged quarterbacks. Apple will have to learn to trust his feet rather than grabbing so often or he'll find that quarterbacks and refs will find him often.
Related Links

Back
Top Bottom