2016 NFL Draft: Miami Dolphins on the clock at No. 13 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2016 NFL Draft: Miami Dolphins on the clock at No. 13

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/darron-lee?id=2555322

6'1"
Height
33 1/4"
Arm Length
232LBS.
Weight
9 3/4"
Hands

Overview

Lee's never been short on confidence, proclaiming to teammates that he was the one to take over for 2014 first-round pick Ryan Shazier in the Buckeyes' defense -- even though he was only a year removed from starring as a quarterback and cornerback in high school. He wound up starting all 15 games in that redshirt freshman year for the national champion Buckeyes, earning multiple Freshman All-American accolades with 81 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Lee truly hit the national stage by terrorizing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, receiving Defensive MVP honors with seven tackles, three for loss, and two sacks. His play as a sophomore was just as good, tracking down ball carriers 66 times, 11 for a loss and 4.5 sacks on his way to second-team All-Big Ten accolades from league coaches (third team media).
Analysis
Strengths Quick to diagnose and flow to the ball. Has unusual ability to find the most efficient routes to the ball. Has athleticism and flexibility to contort his body and succeed through difficult tackle angles. Plays with loose hips, quick feet and desired agility of an NFL weak-side linebacker. Former high school quarterback with the change of direction and speed to be a rangy playmaker. Comfortable in space and excels there. Has plus man cover talent. Willing to stand in and take on blockers with a leveraged strike if his gap is being threatened. Capable gap blitzer with ability to get skinny through the holes.
Weaknesses Smallish linebacker. Play strength doesn't come close to matching puffed up listed weight. Balance issues at point of attack could plague him over his NFL career. Has the body type of a big safety. Tape shows few authoritative tackles. Involved in too many arm and shoestring tackles. Comes flying in and fails to come to balance at times. Charged with 21 missed and five broken tackles over the last two seasons. Always at size disadvantage and will have to learn to slip more blocks. Can get better at finding targets in zone coverage.
NFL Comparison Zach Brown
Bottom Line Lee's level of NFL success might very well be tied to scheme fit and his ability to add more muscle to his frame. His athletic traits and ability to make plays should make him a starter, but he won't unlock his full potential unless he gets strong enough to handle the rigors of an NFL linebacker.

That scouting report for darren lee makes a ton of sense for me...he needs to bring nfl physicality at lb...period...you are gonna have to line up inside the formation as a pro lb and he right now on tape brings strong safety physicality at lb...i cant have my lb getting washed out any time hes reached...id be more willing to green flag that if said lb was pre snap...darren lee right now is not

Theres a big difference between upside and projection...i think a lot of times people get them confused...as far as being lined up inside the formation as a lb darren lee right now is projection...although i will say when ohio state played a more traditional alignment downhill type team like a michigan state for instance lee made plays...but you have to understand whats driving that...is it actual true lb play or is it im the alpha athlete here? Id say by and large on his tape right now its the latter

Also when you invest a top 10 or top 15 pick in a player you want to avoid projection as much as possible and you want to draft for ideal fit that gave you that grade in the first place...for instance vernon hargreaves ideal fit as boundary corner is off man...sure he shows he can play press but that click and close and awareness which are his best traits by far is best show cased in off man schematic...

Eli apple contrastly skillset is best suited for press man...its not a projection that he will have nfl physicality or upside in that scheme...nor is the athlete a projection...everything you need to see from an athleticism aspect is there on that kids tape...the upside again not projection but upside lies in the situational and route awareness...which is highly coaching a player up ie vance joseph and game reps in a 2 year collegiate starter..length check athleticism check upside check ideal scheme fit check

And this is exactly how i would sell eli apple as the correct fit pick to the front office

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be really shock if we draft Lee. I watched game tape and I do not see first rounder.

He's better than Shaq IMO. He played against better comp and is more athletic (I think not fact backed)

Probably, I dunno that Shaq Would of been any worse at doing Lee's job at Ohio State though. Lee obviously has an athleticism advantage. Shaq is a bit more physical though. IMO both of there tape showed players who seemed far too happy to let everyone else on the defense do the dirty work.

My prediction with lee is he will have a very hard time finding playtime his rookie year. Because if you see him on the field consistently, your going to run it at him over and over. He's going to need to be protected.

I've yet to see a non physical player become physical at the NFL level. And teams have been trying it for years.

i Completely agree with ya Bluefin. Jackson has all the measurables, physical, press CB. And 1 ****y SOB, which is just what a corner needs. Who cares if he's projected later in the first, if he's your guy take him in the first with pick 13.

That scouting report for darren lee makes a ton of sense for me...he needs to bring nfl physicality at lb...period...you are gonna have to line up inside the formation as a pro lb and he right now on tape brings strong safety physicality at lb...i cant have my lb getting washed out any time hes reached...id be more willing to green flag that if said lb was pre snap...darren lee right now is not

Theres a big difference between upside and projection...i think a lot of times people get them confused...as far as being lined up inside the formation as a lb darren lee right now is projection...although i will say when ohio state played a more traditional alignment downhill type team like a michigan state for instance lee made plays...but you have to understand whats driving that...is it actual true lb play or is it im the alpha athlete here? Id say by and large on his tape right now its the latter

Also when you invest a top 10 or top 15 pick in a player you want to avoid projection as much as possible and you want to draft for ideal fit that gave you that grade in the first place...for instance vernon hargreaves ideal fit as boundary corner is off man...sure he shows he can play press but that click and close and awareness which are his best traits by far is best show cased in off man schematic...

Eli apple contrastly skillset is best suited for press man...its not a projection that he will have nfl physicality or upside in that scheme...nor is the athlete a projection...everything you need to see from an athleticism aspect is there on that kids tape...the upside again not projection but upside lies in the situational and route awareness...which is highly coaching a player up ie vance joseph and game reps in a 2 year collegiate starter..length check athleticism check upside check ideal scheme fit check

And this is exactly how i would sell eli apple as the correct fit pick to the front office

Why do you feel that apple has more upside than Jackson? I get that apple has played more press coverage but Jackson looks like the better athlete and better CB overall.

Jackson's ball skills are better than Apple's.

I like Apple. I just think Jackson is better.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Do not sleep on taking a front seven player in RD1 and taking Howard or Burns in RD2.

The more I think about it the more I feel that because there will be quality DB's to pick in the second that we go a different direction with the 1st rd.

Leonard Floyd

Height: 6-6. Weight: 244.
40 Time: 4.60.

Not many mention this guy but the more I see film on him the more I like. He's solid tackler and what I liked most was his instincts for the ball carrier and his skill at taking on blockers. He's excellent as a pass rusher and very fast off the edge too. Ideally would love to trade back a few spots and grab him....Jack will be gone and Floyds IMO is next inline....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...fl-draft-miami-dolphins-on-the-clock-at-no-13

FACTS AND STATS
First pick in 2016 draft: No. 13 overall.
2015 finish: Third, AFC East
Record: 6-10
TOTAL OFFENSE: 372.3 (8th)
RUSHING: 100.6 (19th)
PASSING: 271.7 (7th)
TOTAL DEFENSE: 420.3 (32nd)
RUSHING: 121.4: (24th)
PASSING: 298.9 (32nd)
TEAM NEEDS
Cornerback: This is the No. 1 need on the team because replacing a playmaker such as Pro-Bowl cornerback Brent Grimes, who has excellent cover skills, is a tough task. Miami acquired Byron Maxwell in a trade with Philadelphia, but he's no Grimes.
Running back: The loss of Lamar Miller is huge. And there's no one to replace him. Jay Ajayi was OK last season but he's unproven. A good acquisition here could greatly help quarterback Ryan Tannehill and the offensive line. Right now Miami has a few bodies but no proven NFL players.
Nickel cornerback: Losing Brice McCain hurts, and just as in many other situations there's no quality backup. Returnees Jamar Taylor and Bobby McCain might be able to fill this role but both struggled last season. Most likely Miami needs to get a veteran.
Linebacker: The Dolphins acquired Kiko Alonso in a trade with Philadelphia, but his knee injuries remain a concern. Between returnees Koa Misi and Jelani Jenkins the Dolphins could use an upgrade. This is more likely to be handled in the draft. But an upgrade in the middle or on the outside is badly needed.

TIME TO PICK A PLAYER
BEST FIT: CB Eli Apple, Ohio State.
If Vernon Hargreaves (Florida) is gone, this is the pick at No. 13. If Hargreaves isn't there, Apple is the pick. Miami needs help at cornerback, but by swapping first-round picks with Philadelphia in the trade to acquire linebacker Kiko Alonso and cornerback Byron Maxwell the Dolphins might have done themselves a disservice. Regardless, Apple has the size and physical, aggressive nature the Dolphins would like to employ and pair with Maxwell.
Apple640.jpg
Eli Apple would make a nice corner pairing with Byron Maxwell. (USATSI) *NFLDraftScout.com analysts suggest (No. 13 overall).
Rob Rang: Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State. The Dolphins are looking to add speed on defense, especially at the linebacker level. Lee certainly offers range, and is an ascending player with high upside.
Dane Brugler: Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State. Even with defensive linemen Ndamukong Suh and Olivier Vernon often drawing multiple blockers, Miami's linebackers struggled to make big plays a year ago. Lee remains a bit raw after leaving Ohio State as just a redshirt sophomore, but his talent is obvious. A former quarterback and safety, Lee combines a unique perspective on coverage with outstanding athleticism, including closing speed and explosiveness as a hitter.

Eli Apple is afraid to tackle. I don't care what Coach it is, you can't coach away wussy. So, I have no doubt that we will draft him. lol

Apple was diagnosed with an iron deficiency that prevented him from giving full effort on the field.

So he's anemic? Why 18-22 kids didn't become a anemic without some sort of underlying medical reason. Granted I'm a substance abuse nurse and not a MD. I would more H&P, and lab results to cross off this flag.

More and more I read alot of opinions that agree this is not a great draft class and that players will be overdrafted where they should be because of it.

Im still on corner round one and again maybe round three, unless Stanley falls or some one else unexpected like Jack but doubt it.

I agree with Hayden thogh that Mike may go a Lawson or Lee in round one though.

I watched some "tape" of Apple and nothing really screams good CB to me. He didn't jump off the screen like an elite college player should.

VH did, Alexander did, Jackson did. Apple was kinda just there.

I'm with you based on coverage skills. I'd rank them Hargreaves, Alexander with Jackson and Apple pretty close.

One thing you don't often see on tape is how well the player presses and that's where Apple fits. That's pretty huge if a player can knock a receiver off his pattern, especially with teams like NE that utilize that precision game. I can see the fit and the upside, but I'm not convinced he's the BPA at #13.

That said if Vance Joseph likes him best of the corners available, I'd feel pretty comfortable. I think Miami needs to get that position nailed down in the 1st round.

The more I think about it the more I feel that because there will be quality DB's to pick in the second that we go a different direction with the 1st rd.

Leonard Floyd

Not many mention this guy but the more I see film on him the more I like. He's solid tackler and what I liked most was his instincts for the ball carrier and his skill at taking on blockers. He's excellent as a pass rusher and very fast off the edge too. Ideally would love to trade back a few spots and grab him....Jack will be gone and Floyds IMO is next inline....

That is interesting. I thought about Floyd a little lately, but just not sure about the fit. He seems more 3-4 in his game, but love the talent.

Leonard Floyd

I've been watching Leonard Floyd as well. I think he has more upside then a few of the OLB's/DE's in this draft not to mention great quickness. I'd have no issue with them selecting him somewhere in the 1st (hopefully they trade down to do it).

I want a CB in the 1st round because of the "need" factor, but my brain says you have to take the BPA here. Unless a top player falls to us at #13 such as Hargreaves , or Zeke Elliott my goal would be to trade down and pick up either Robert Nkemdiche, Leonard Floyd, one William Jackson III. We have too many needs to pigeon hole positions of need above best player available.

One things for sure is regardless of who we pick we will NOT shore up every need we have with quality so why do we always act like one draft will fix all of our problems then get mad at the GM because there are still holes in the team. I'm not saying our GM's (plural) have not made a mess of things, they most certainly have, but fixing "our talent problems" requires us to draft talent and not always just needs. We need to develop talent once we draft it, and we've been pretty dismal at that too. I've got hope in Gase though that the staff he has put together will be finally able to get that done properly. Well there's my two cents...lol.

Interesting draft. Feel there's a large list of very talented players, but a small handful of elite. The elite should be well gone in the first ten picks.This gives us a group of several potentially great players to choose from at 13.

DB's will be there and into the second, there should be a quality DE, LB, OL, also there for the picking....

Thats what makes this draft a little different and should guarantee us a solid choice in the first round and truthfully there are many directions for us to go....BPA will be there in pretty much the positions we need so its a win win ....Also in a good position to trade back and get a significant player. Be interesting to see the direction the organization moves in believing IMO that Gase's fingerprints will be on the pick also.

Back
Top Bottom