2017/2018 CFB Playoff Rankings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017/2018 CFB Playoff Rankings

Clemson? That will change soon and what is with the love affair for Notre Dame?

As a 100% completely unbiased, non-homer ND fan, I think these rankings are both fair and reasonable.

Clemson? That will change soon and what is with the love affair for Notre Dame?

I'd probably have Ohio St. at #3, but I'd have Notre Dame #4. This is a better Notre Dame team than the one that went undefeated and got crushed by Bama in the national championship game a few years ago.

What teams do you think deserve to be #3&4 besides ND and Clemson?

Seems reasonable. I imagine Georgia and Alabama will flip if they both win out. The final spot will always cause controversy, no matter how many teams they allow in the playoffs. Case could be made for a few other teams, but I don't see how Clemson isn't one of them.

I know we've a long shot but undefeated Miami starts at #10. Beat VT and ND the next two weeks and we've at least top 6. Beat Clemson in the ACC championship and I think they'll be in the top 4.
Like I said it's a long shot. I feel pretty good about beating VT at the Rock sat night but ND and Clemson will be a tough hill to climb.
Still nice to finally be in the running ... at least for now :)

Seems reasonable. I imagine Georgia and Alabama will flip if they both win out. The final spot will always cause controversy, no matter how many teams they allow in the playoffs. Case could be made for a few other teams, but I don't see how Clemson isn't one of them.

Yep, I don't really have any issue with the 4 teams. Mine might be a little different, but this is fine for now.

Clemson just has the worst loss of the 1 loss teams legitimately competing for a playoff spot, and I put more weight on bad losses. I don't miss many college football games no matter who's playing, and Syracuse had their way with Clemson. It looked way too easy. It was an even worse loss if you actually watched the game than it even appears on paper.

Furthermore, I feel like they should've lost to Auburn. If they played today I think they would. Auburn's offense was a disaster at the beginning of the season while they were breaking in Stidham and still almost won the game.

I think at this point the committee likes to play it safe and go with resumes over what their eyes see. Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St., and Notre Dame are the 4 teams playing the best football to me if you watch them closely week in and week out.

I'd probably have Ohio St. at #3, but I'd have Notre Dame #4. This is a better Notre Dame team than the one that went undefeated and got crushed by Bama in the national championship game a few years ago.

Ohio state for sure. Wisconsin is undefeated. I rather they reward the undefeateds.

Clemson? They lost to a 4-4 Syracuse team. Until they beat NC State and go to the ACC Championship they shouldn't even be near the top 4.
And ND? Really? Their toughest opponents are two 2-loss teams (NC State and Michigan State). ND should have to work twice as hard to crack the top 4 by simply not having a Championship game to go through. Unless there are no unbeatens and just a handfull of 1-loss teams ND should not even sniff the playoffs with one loss.

Clemson? They lost to a 4-4 Syracuse team. Until they beat NC State and go to the ACC Championship they shouldn't even be near the top 4.
And ND? Really? Their toughest opponents are two 2-loss teams (NC State and Michigan State). ND should have to work twice as hard to crack the top 4 by simply not having a Championship game to go through. Unless there are no unbeatens and just a handfull of 1-loss teams ND should not even sniff the playoffs with one loss.

How do you feel about Georgia being ranked #1 by the committee, do you think they're the best team in the country right now?

How do you feel about Georgia being ranked #1 by the committee, do you think they're the best team in the country right now?
My opinion is:
a) there should not be a playoff ranking yet. Wait until all the conference championships are over.
b) it is crap anyways. Let's see - we have one group of people do a ranking (AP), another group of people do a ranking (coaches) and because it is so much fun and everybody wants a say we have yet another group of people do a ranking (playoff).

In a time when colleges rake in millions of dollars and TV contracts for billions of dollars are being negotiated we still determine the National Champion based on a bunch of guys who have neither watched all the games nor have they made a decision based on all data available (and you cannot take the human error like emotions and/or preference out).

A team like ND is only put up into the top 4 so NBC is not losing its college football crown. And I don't care if Georgia is #1 or not. Between Alabama and Georgia the SEC Championship will decide who is the better of the two.

Last edited:
My opinion is:
a) there should not be a playoff ranking yet. Wait until all the conference championships are over.
b) it is crap anyways. Let's see - we have one group of people do a ranking (AP), another group of people do a ranking (coaches) and because it is so much fun and everybody wants a say we have yet another group of people do a ranking (playoff).

In a time when colleges rake in millions of dollars and TV contracts for billions of dollars are being negotiated we still determine the National Champion based on a bunch of guys who have neither watched all the games nor have they made a decision based on all data available (and you cannot take the human error like emotions and/or preference out).

A team like ND is only put up into the top 4 so NBC is not losing its college football crown. And I don't care if Georgia is #1 or not. Between Alabama and Georgia the SEC Championship will decide who is the better of the two.

The AP Poll nor the Coaches Poll matter. Neither have any significance in terms of who plays for the championship. The only rankings that matter is the one put out by the CFB playoff committee. Don't worry about any of the others.

With that clear, let's just focus on the first CFB playoff rankings that the committee just laid out there. Now, in order to get to the bottom line here of what you said previously, I need you to answer the question....How do you feel about Georgia being ranked #1 by the committee, and do you think they're the best team in the country?

Hell let's make it real easy, do you think Georgia is one of the two best teams in the country?

Because here's the deal...half of those conference championship games you're talking about waiting for don't matter anyway in terms of the playoff, and the Big-12 doesn't even have one.

It doesn't matter what two teams play in the PAC-12 championship game or who wins it. The PAC-12 is out of the playoff. Period.

The BIG-12 doesn't even have a conference championship game, and the committee along with the rest of the college football world, sits here and watches the best team in that conference (Oklahoma) struggle with the fodder in that conference every week and fail to put them away.

You see, the committee has watched all these games, and so have I. Have you?

They have made a decision based on all the evidence available, and there's more evidence coming. The CFB playoff rankings each week will reflect the new evidence.

That's why they have undefeated Wisconsin and undefeated Miami ranked where they do. They already know neither is a playoff team. Everybody else in the college football world knows it too outside of Camp Randall and whatever that stadium is in south Florida.

Ohio St. is going to beat Wisconsin to a pulp in the BIG-10 title game if they meet....and Clemson, Virginia Tech or Notre Dame (or all three) are going to beat Miami.

For anybody to sit there and say that a 1 loss Notre Dame team doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a playoff when their only loss would be a 1 point loss to the #1 team in the CFB playoff rankings doesn't even make sense. Especially when they've already beaten USC, Mich. St., and N.C. State. Not just beat em....annihilated all of em. They'd obviously also have wins over Miami and Stanford if they ended up with only 1 loss.

The only issue for the committee regarding a 1 loss Notre Dame team is whether or not to put them in over a 1 loss Alabama or Georgia if they both meet undefeated in the SEC Championship. Keeping in mind Georgia already has the head-the-head win over the Irish in their back pocket.

I probably won't address your comments about Clemson because you actually agreed with me. Clemson wouldn't be in my top 4. The loss to Syracuse was too bad of a loss in my opinion, and I'd put a 1 loss Notre Dame in over them no matter what Clemson does from here out. They'd have a worse loss despite having the 13th data point.

I'll tell you where else we agree...

Polls.
Are.
Meaningless.

I already have a pretty good idea who the 4 best teams in the country are. So does the committee. They know it's going to take care of itself as the rest of these games play out.

If your gripe simply boils down to how college football decides it's champion no matter who the top 4 teams are, I probably wouldn't even waste my time talking about it if I were you.

Ohio state for sure. Wisconsin is undefeated. I rather they reward the undefeateds.

That just rewards teams who have cakewalk schedules...like Wisconsin (which is about to change).

I think the top two are accurate, right now. I would bet on it flip-flopping over the next couple weeks.

The AP Poll nor the Coaches Poll matter. Neither have any significance in terms of who plays for the championship. The only rankings that matter is the one put out by the CFB playoff committee. Don't worry about any of the others.

With that clear, let's just focus on the first CFB playoff rankings that the committee just laid out there. Now, in order to get to the bottom line here of what you said previously, I need you to answer the question....How do you feel about Georgia being ranked #1 by the committee, and do you think they're the best team in the country?

Hell let's make it real easy, do you think Georgia is one of the two best teams in the country?

First question: no
Second question: yes
But that is based on my limited experience in watching a small amount of college games. And like I told you before who gives a crap at this point.
Who is the better of the two will be decided in that "meaningless" SEC championship game. The question then will be: what to do with the loser? Drop them out of the top 4? Why?

If the AP and Coaches poll mean nothing why have them?

Back
Top Bottom