2017 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft Prospects

Mixon presents a tough call. If I had the opportunity to talk with him about his growth since the incident, and he was able to break down his progression as a person, I'd keep him in the top-3 Rounds. If not, he's off the board.

Cook, at this point, is completely off my board (despite his undeniable talent). I'm concerned that he's a psychopath. But, I could be off base. Haven't yet looked into all the details of his incidents.

People out there talking about Devonte Fields and then taking the holier than thou stance on Joe Mixon. It baffles me. It's nonsensical.

People out there talking about Devonte Fields and then taking the holier than thou stance on Joe Mixon. It baffles me. It's nonsensical.

I had forgotten about Fields' BS until I ran across a mention of it in his report. Coupled with his laziness, I understand why he's viewed as a 5th or later.

She shoved him, and then punched him, and he punched back. It was a reaction during a physical confrontation from a boy with an undeveloped brain who had just turned 18 years old. And we're not even discussing it if she wasn't white. Any more than we discuss why Pacman Jones should not have been allowed to collect NFL paychecks going back to like 2013 or whatever year it was he was also found on tape decking a female outside of a club with far less provocation.

What Mixon did was wrong. What Pacman did was wrong. They both deserve punishment. I'm not sure Pacman ever got any and I kind of have to wonder why about that. I would seriously consider, if I were representing the female that Mixon punched, seeking civil restitution based on Mixon's NFL earnings.

The criminal justice system had no shortage of evidence against Mixon though. They had a video showing the entire incident, in detail. He did not escape justice because of a he-said/she-said situation, or because of a lack of evidence. And no, the Oklahoma Sooners do not control courts or judges, so lets put the tinfoil hats down. This isn't a situation where the courts had to let a guy get away with it because the evidence couldn't meet the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard.

Did the school punish him? Yes. He missed a year of football. He's lucky that alone did not sabotage his potential NFL career. As things stand he does not seem likely to go in the 1st round, even though he got 1st round grades from evaluators when he submitted his tape, so he will have lost millions due to this incident. Millions.

Did I just break up with my gf or something? No. I consider myself a feminist. And I've spoken with other feminists about this.

I remain concerned about the parking lot incident. That was news to me.

But at some point we have to make the decision that we don't have to supplement the criminal justice system by making anyone who's ever done anything wrong a total pariah for the rest of their lives, unable to get jobs, etc. It's one thing if the criminal justice system was handcuffed in some way to where justice was not allowed to be served, but that was not the case here.

We're surprisingly almost on the same page. I have no problems with people turning their lives around and getting another shot. My problem is these guys escaping punishment (sorry, gotta do better than sitting out a year) and then living their life like nothing happened. Guys like Pacman and Chris Henry are nightmares that shouldn't be allowed to collect millions. Seeing kids at stadiums wearing their jerseys ... that's my problem.

I see the NFL as a reward. Millions of dollars for playing a sport. People destroy their bodies for the opportunity. Kids look up to them. If you're over 18 and break a girl's face, I'm going to lean towards not rewarding said people with millions of dollars unless I'm damn sure it's not gonna happen again. Not making them pariahs unable to get jobs, just not looked up to worldwide with millions in the bank.

And let's face it, these guys typically don't turn it around. There's no incentive to. They can still get away with being sociopaths and collect the big bucks. Although social media and cameras everywhere has changed that a bit. For the better.

The criminal justice system is a joke that is bought and sold so I feel extremely comfortable 'supplementing' with my opinions. Just sayin.

OT Taylor Moton Western Michigan 6-5 319

[video=youtube;D9KMn9I8lzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9KMn9I8lzQ[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'5"
Weight:319
Arm:34 1/8
Hand:10 5/8
40 Yard Official:5.18
Bench:23
Vertical:30.5
Broad:109
3-Cone:7.73
S. Shuttle:4.58
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Big off the bus. Massive frame with good arm thickness and proportional build in his legs. Plus arm length with big hands. Starting experience at right guard and tackle. Comes off the ball with pad level. Makes concerted effort to drop hips and roll under his target at contact. Has dominant drive-blocking potential. His down blocks turn into steam-rollings. Coordinates hips and hands for maximum pop through point of contact as run blocker. Held his own against Ohio State in 2015 and smothered Illinois DE Dawuane Smoot this season. A bear with strong paws. Plays tend to end for defender once he latches on. Functional climbing to second-level target. Bull rushers won’t bully him very often.
Weaknesses Will need to play with quicker hands into punch as guard. Looping, wide approach with hands toward target could open his chest to defenders. Footwork needs plenty of work. Needs choppier feet. Waist bending in run game needs correction. Content to make blocks at angles that need to be squared up. Lateral and move blocks feature inconsistent base width. Issues coming to balance before contact if block isn't right in front of him. Average body control and athleticism. Will be limited to primarily power-based schemes. Has issues with oversetting in pass pro. Can be fooled by twists.
Sources Tell Us "I had to go back and watch his 2015 tape when he played guard. He was a little rough at tackle this year but that isn't his spot. Big and strong as a guard. He was moving guys from Ohio State around like it was nothing." -- Area scout for NFC team
NFL Comparison Zach Fulton
Bottom Line Four-year starter for ascending Western Michigan program. Size and potential to dominate at the point of attack with pure power should make him a coveted right guard prospect. He can be a little stiff in his movements and his footwork needs plenty of work, but he's functional in both areas. Might need additional work before he is ready to take on the wily, athletic defensive tackles in the NFL, but his physical traits and power give him a chance to become a reliable NFL starter.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/taylor-moton?id=2557871

Last edited by a moderator:
DT Larry Ogunjobi Charlotte 6-2 305

[video=youtube;P_K4SztjEeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_K4SztjEeE[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'3"
Weight:305
Arm:32 5/8
Hand:10
40 Yard Official:4.97
Bench:23
Vertical:32
Broad:116
3-Cone:7.55
S. Shuttle:4.75
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Low center of gravity with impressive power coursing through his hips. Wins race against blockers for first hands on opponent. Fires out of his stance and into blockers with coiled hips and a wallop in his punch. Strikes with leverage. Able to dislodge blockers with anchor issues. Plus athletic ability to mirror ball carrier once he locks in on target. Has speed to chase runners in space. Can set a strong edge or penetrate upfield. Makes impact tackles on the other side of the line. Hands are fast and powerful. Has strength and balance to fight through redirect blocks and maintain his journey to the quarterback. Uses powerful right-hand club to bat away blocker's punch and slide over the top and into the backfield. Constantly improving position as a pass rusher and can be a handful for a less-skilled pass protector. Pushes the pocket with his bull rush. Spends very little time on the ground. Intelligent; four straight years on Athletic Director's Honor Roll.
Weaknesses Very average build for an interior player. Has continued to add weight while at Charlotte but likely needs a few more pounds. Below-average arm length makes it essential for him to get into blocker first. Will get big-boyed occasionally. Big guards with length able to disrupt his rhythm and alter his plans. Gets in a hurry when he smells a sack and will overrun target at times. Would benefit with more disciplined pursuit angles in space.
Sources Tell Us "I went just to see what he looked like on the hoof and I wasn't all that impressed. He's a solid player but I just don't know if he's got the size to be really good. I didn't like his Louisville tape." -- NFC director of scouting
NFL Comparison Sheldon Rankins
Bottom Line Watching Ogunjobi play is like watching a more raw version of Sheldon Rankins and with a little less efficiency of movement. Like Rankins, Ogunjabi uses leverage, quickness, and strong hands to counter his average size. Size and below-average length will work against him for some teams, but others who covet disruptive defensive tackles who can play in the backfield and generate some pressure will be studying him closely. Has starting NFL potential.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/larry-ogunjobi?id=2557836

DE Charles Harris Missouri 6-3 253

[video=youtube;tKohV_rl-Ak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKohV_rl-Ak[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'3"
Weight:253
Arm:32 3/8
Hand:9 5/8
40 Yard Official:4.82
Bench:21
Vertical:32
Broad:109
3-Cone:7.47
S. Shuttle:4.42
60 Yard Shuttle:12.48

STRENGTHS: Whether out of the two or three point stance, Harris fires off the ball, giving would-be blockers a legitimate speed threat to worry about. His burst forces tackles wide and Harris complements his speed with an effective spin counter back inside, showing lateral agility and balance. He locates the ball quickly and pursues the ball with passion, including far downfield. Harris looks comfortable rushing the passer out of the two point stance and can flip his hips and change directions quickly, demonstrating the kind of athleticism to potentially handle some linebacker duties, as well. Harris wins with his explosive burst and agility to elude pass blockers but he's also surprisingly strong, keeping his butt low and his limbs locked out to anchor in the running game. He latches onto ball-carriers attempting to run past him, showing the strength to pull them down while fending off blockers. Harris has gained approximately 25 pounds of muscle since signing with Missouri as a highly regarded two-sport (basketball and football) athlete.
WEAKNESSES: Harris lacks the ideal length and twitchy change of direction that gives top NFL offensive tackles problems. He played heavier in 2016 and lost some of the quickness which made him so productive. Lacks the bulk to play regularly inside at the NFL level. While athletic, Harris struggled with cut-blocks, failing to recognize them quickly enough and too often getting knocked to the turf. Further, Harris' pad level is a bit inconsistent and when he loses the leverage battle he can get knocked off the ball.
IN OUR VIEW: A lack of production early in the 2016 season left Harris being unfairly criticized by some but his talent did not just simply disappear. While perhaps lacking elite length and fluidity, Harris is a proven pass rusher with the initial quickness and complementary moves to extend Missouri's impressive NFL pipeline, projecting as an immediate impact threat off the edge.
COMPARES TO: Cliff Avril, Seattle Seahawks: A decade before Mizzou took over as an underrated producer of NFL defensive linemen, it was Purdue sending the likes of Akin Ayodele, Shaun Phillips, Ray Edwards, Rob Ninkovich, Avril and Ryan Kerrigan, among others. The 6-3, 260 pound Avril posted impressive statistics throughout his career at Purdue but slipped to the third round of the 2008 draft in part because of his lack of ideal size and questions about his fit in the NFL. Since, his initial quickness and array of pass rush moves have translated into 73 career sacks and 29 forced fumbles over an nine-year career for the Detroit Lions and Seahawks.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082540/charles-harris

OT Taylor Moton Western Michigan 6-5 330

[video=youtube;D9KMn9I8lzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9KMn9I8lzQ[/video]

Combine Results:
Coming

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/taylor-moton?id=2557871

Interesting, because I like Moton less after watching that. I liked what I saw before better, more of a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane feel here. Questionable footwork and balance here, so-so functional strength. He's going down my list, thx for posting. I'm still thinking Jarrad Davis or Forrest Lamp at #22.

Interesting, because I like Moton less after watching that. I liked what I saw before better, more of a looks like Tarzan plays like Jane feel here. Questionable footwork and balance here, so-so functional strength. He's going down my list, thx for posting. I'm still thinking Jarrad Davis or Forrest Lamp at #22.
I think Davis in the 1st and because I do not think that Lamp will be there in the 2nd, we can pivot to Feeney.

I think Davis in the 1st and because I do not think that Lamp will be there in the 2nd, we can pivot to Feeney.

I don't think that Feeney will be there for us in rd 2, Pat Elfein more likely and a good G/C fit.

ILB Connor Harris Lindenwood 5-11 242

[video=youtube;Phovf9JanEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phovf9JanEE[/video]

[video=youtube;8NnaCcWh_Y0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnaCcWh_Y0[/video]

[video=youtube;YR2WWd7p3fk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2WWd7p3fk[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'11"
Weight:242
Arm:30 1/8
Hand:9 3/8
40 Yard Official:4.73
Bench:18
Vertical:33
Broad:114
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:
Strengths Voracious appetite for tape. Elite tackle production. Tremendous leadership traits. Instinctive with immediate response to keys. Can race ahead of linemen. Has instant stop/start quickness and change of direction ability. Always attacking downhill. Looks to attack blockers early to disrupt the timing of the run play. Played quarterback and safety in high school and has the quickness in space to cover running backs out of backfield. Gym rat with good power throughout his tightly muscled frame. Burst to the ball puts him in position to make plays. Body-up tackler who finishes what he starts. Can play all three downs.
Weaknesses Somewhat stubby frame with a lack of length. Unable to keep linemen off of him with punch and shed. Will get engulfed if he sits and waits. Straight-line attacker missing some fluidity of motion to consistently match the flow of a play. Square shouldered and unable to work body around blocks and through some crevices. Scouts question whether his production can hold up against elevated level of competition. Quicker than fast.
Sources Tell Us "He's a good player. He's a Division I player who happens to play Division II. I don't think he ever gets tired because he is always in on plays or right there next to them." -- NFC college scouting director
NFL Comparison Chris Borland
Bottom Line Rock 'em, sock 'em linebacker with an inextinguishable motor and the instant quickness and burst to thrust himself into tackle after tackle. Harris is a willing chance-taker who fires downhill and into creases looking to make the impact play, but his lack of length and straight-line style of play could limit his effectiveness on the next level. With his instincts, quickness and nose for the ball as a tackler, Harris should find a spot on the linebacker depth chart and has a chance to be a kick-coverage winner.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/connor-harris?id=2557852

OLB Ryan Anderson Alabama 6-2 253

[video=youtube;pvyj-T2PUyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvyj-T2PUyA[/video]

Pro-Day Results:
Height:6'2"
Weight:253
Arm:31 1/2
Hand:9 3/8
40 Yard Official:4.85
Bench:
Vertical:28.5
Broad:
3-Cone:7.73
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Thick through shoulders and chest with good upper-body power. Exhibits professional approach on the field. Disciplined and married to his assignments. Stays clean. Comes into the league with NFL-caliber hand work. Ready hands at point of attack with a willingness to stick and move to avoid being swallowed by size. Sets a sturdy edge and makes a point to physically challenge tight ends early in the game. Will "dead arm" inside shoulder to alter blocker's balance and sneak around the outside hand. Relentless charge as a pass rusher and gets home thanks to his effort. Leverages runners to the sideline and rarely gives up a cut-back lane. Tackle finisher who is always hustling. Plays teammate ball over hero ball. Has experience at outside linebacker in both 3-4 and 4-3. Forced five fumbles over last two seasons.
Weaknesses Relatively average athlete for the position. Lacks desired pursuit speed and closing burst as a 4-3 linebacker. Hips are a little stiff and he lacks plus range of motion. Could struggle with cover skills in space. Short arms could become an issue if asked to stack the edge against NFL tackles. Effort rusher missing desired traits found in consistent NFL pass rushers. His edge rush is more elongated and gradual than tight and sharp. Gets punched by tackles while shoulders are still square, causing him to flatten out as a rusher.
Sources Tell Us "Size is more suited for 4-3 SAM but he could play some rush outside backer in a 3-4. He would fit Baltimore and Pittsburgh as a 3-4 SAM, too." -- NFC area scout
NFL Comparison Ahmad Brooks
Bottom Line Well-schooled with a high football IQ and a history as a winner. His disciplined, assignment-based approach to the game should resonate with defensive coordinators. Lack of length and average athletic traits could put a cap on his draft stock, but he should be a safe pick and a long-time starter as an outside linebacker.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ryan-anderson?id=2557853

SS Justin Evans Texas A&M 6-0 195

[video=youtube;06ZEXgZGaW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ZEXgZGaW4[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'0"
Weight:195
Arm:32
Hand:9 3/4
40 Yard Official:
Bench:14
Vertical:
Broad:
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Tremendous athlete who was heralded as a baseball pitcher, and receiver and defensive back in football coming out of high school. Has feet and hips for easy toggle between backpedal and angled shuffle as high safety. Ball skills of a slot receiver. Plays with excellent passion for the game. Can snare at the highest point thanks to well-timed leaps, great arm extension and supple hands. Big accelerator to close out crossing routes and disrupt the passing lane. Very good plant-and-go twitch. Looks to make plays taking aggressive routes to the ball. Logged four interceptions and seven pass breakups as a senior. Fast with ability to range over the top from high safety. Seeks out collisions and doesn't shrink from contact. Completely laid-out Alabama's Derrick Henry during hit in 2015 game. Wrap-up tackler who explodes into target and runs his feet through the finish.
Weaknesses Needs improved eye-balance. Has issues splitting focus between ball and man. From second level, hyper-focuses on receiver keys and is late finding running back headed his way. Aggressive nature could make him a play-action target on pro level. Instincts dwindle the further away from line of scrimmage he goes. Inconsistent seeing and breaking on throws from high safety. Needs to come to balance in tackle-ready position more quickly on third-level stops. His heart is bigger than his body. Needs more bulk to withstand fallout from his physical play. Gets stuck to blocking tight ends from slot and struggles to unglue.
Sources Tell Us "His interception against UCLA at the beginning of the year was one of those plays that not many safeties can make. But I'm worried about his missed tackles. Hard hits are great for Sportscenter or YouTube but getting guys to the ground is top priority." -- Front-office executive for AFC team
NFL Comparison Karl Joseph
Bottom Line Soft-spoken but carries a walloping stick. Plays the game with an elevated sense of urgency and excitement. He is a little undersized, but has plus speed, is an extremely physical hitter and can play deep or near the line of scrimmage. Athleticism and ball skills might lead a team to test him out as a slot corner. Regardless of where he plays, he has the talent to become a plus NFL starter and a potential Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) draft selection.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/justin-evans?id=2557945

FS Jordan Sterns Oklahoma State 5-11 196

:bobdole:[video=youtube;WJFBHuEw4Lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJFBHuEw4Lw[/video]

Pro-Day Results:
Height:5'11"
Weight:198
Arm:
Hand:
40 Yard Official:4.67
Bench:15
Vertical:36
Broad:121
3-Cone:7.12
S. Shuttle:4.32
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Has adequate NFL size, but should be able to add more bulk if needed. Triggers fast against the run and had rare tackle production over a three-year run. Has ability to play robber spot and above average instincts give him a head start to challenge throws. Reads plant foot of quarterback on three-step drops and will jump slants. Tough and smart. A favorite of the coaching staff. Will go and get tackles on kick coverage unit.
Weaknesses Average athlete who is a little stiff in his hips. Transitions are bulky. Slow in his pedal and not a natural pattern-matcher in man coverage. Thirsty in coverage and bites too readily on play-action and "sluggo" routes. Lacks long speed to recover when beaten. Lacks the range and athleticism to play centerfield. Box safety type, but isn't a commanding, physical presence.
Sources Tell Us "He's the type of player you want in your locker room. He has to prove he's the type of player you want on your sideline. Has to play up near the line. His instincts are nice, but you can't have him in space for very long." -- Regional scout for NFC East team
Bottom Line Probably won't be a very strong tester from an athletic standpoint, but it will be hard to ignore his production and leadership. Strong pre-draft workouts could help his cause, but his initial opportunity to make a roster will probably come via special teams. Backup potential as a ceiling.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jordan-sterns?id=2557947

CB Marshon Lattimore Ohio State 6-0 193

[video=youtube;gtDT6fEJXnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDT6fEJXnE[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'0"
Weight:193
Arm:31 1/4
Hand:8 7/8
40 Yard Official:4.36
Bench:
Vertical:38.5
Broad:132
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: Twitchy athlete with the lower body explosiveness to spring in any direction. Attaches himself hip-to-hip in coverage and runs better routes than the receiver. Above average top-end speed. Secondary burst to close cushions or recover after a false step. Sinks in his stance and stays on the balls of his feet to remain under control and in phase. Workable body type with adequate height to match up with receivers. Competes at the catch point to take away passing windows. Reliable hands to finish interceptions. Averaged 15.3 yards per interception return in 2016, including a 40-yard touchdown. Stings in run support and reacts without much hesitation. Mentally alert and plays with a self-assured confidence.
WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal bulk and length on his frame. Plays near the line of scrimmage, but rarely jams, allowing receivers to make first contact and knock him off the route. Needs to better play the ball with his back turned to the play. Bad habit of grabbing when panicked. Can be fooled by body/head fakes and needs to better anticipate routes and concepts. Occasionally plays small as a run defender and needs to clean up his finishing technique as a tackler. History of chronic hamstring issues that date back to high school and long-term durability is a question mark -- required surgery on his left hamstring (Aug. 2014), forcing him to redshirt, and missed time the following season due to a right hamstring (Oct. 2015) issue.
NFL COMPARISON: Janoris Jenkins, New York Giants -- With their fluid athleticism and cover skills, Lattimore has similar ability and upside as Jenkins, who is currently a top-10 cornerback in the NFL.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2139278/marshon-lattimore

Back
Top Bottom