2017 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft Prospects

I mentioned more than once that I would look to the Pac 12 for value prospects, particularly defensively. That conference is flooded with talent. One of the great litmus tests in sports is to ask a college football fan what he thinks of the Pac 12. It's hilarious how many bar stool types will immediately condemn the league and call it soft, etc.

I had a nice bet on Washington as a small home chalk over Stanford this season. I didn't realize quite how good Washington was, but I knew Stanford was vulnerable given the garbage quarterbacking and bunched injuries at key positions.

That wager was secured at halftime. It was a Friday night isolated game. Joe Mathis was a big part of the physical onslaught. Stanford was so hopeless to block Mathis they kept changing blocking schemes and play calling to avoid him. Mathis is basically what Dion Jordan was supposed to be, but Dion Jordan never threatened to be. Quick savagery off the line and actual explosive athletic ability, not lanky make-believe blase. Mathis ruins more plays than the stats line ever gives him credit for. That's not always an admirable trait. Sometimes I thought he was more of a warrior or wrestler than football player, overly concerned with thrashing the man across from him instead of finding and stopping the ball carrier. Mathis by many accounts is a jerk off the field, although supposedly now turning his life around. That confrontational jerk attitude sometimes lends itself to that man-on-man attitude and not the Patriots style of simply doing your job.

Mathis is kind of like the Missouri kid but more physical and ruthless but not as polished as a finisher. Any team that somehow got both of those guys would be fun to watch in obvious passing downs.

Mathis is a savage player that can be, at times, borderline unblockable when he rushes from a wide, up position as a stand-up rusher. However he becomes a lot more touch-and-go if he's being asked to put his hand down on the ground and rush the passer that way.

There was one such instance where he LOOKED good by converting speed to power and exploding into Casey Tucker's chest, knocking Tucker onto his butt. That looked sexy, except in order to achieve that explosiveness Mathis needs to get off balance and over extended, and he tumbled to the ground right with Tucker, essentially taking himself out of the play. When you see OLs get knocked on their butt, the detail-oriented folk will usually notice there was another linemen's foot tripping them probably 95% of the time. In this case there wasn't, so it was unique. But when you look at it all the way around, it was still a "win" for Tucker, because he took Mathis onto the ground and out of the play.

And I bring that up because it was the only "good" play that I've seen Mathis have as a down rusher in the four games I've sampled. The other plays where he puts his hand on the ground, it's him that is getting pancaked. He rarely puts his hand on the ground so we're talking perhaps 9 or 10 plays in total, but I've seen him put on the ground on at least 4 or 5 of those plays.

It should also go without saying that he's not a guy that is out there doing anything of value in a zone coverage, and his run-and-chase is pretty pedestrian. I've seen Vita Vea literally outrun him on a straightaway. Vea is a freak, I'll grant that. But he's 330+ lbs. He shouldn't be beating your 3-4 OLB in straight ahead races. And this is one reason why, even before his injuries, Mathis was kind of a part time player and it seemed like Psalm Wooching was the favorite.

Joe Mathis is a conundrum in the same way that Ejuan Price is a conundrum. There's clear value there. You don't have to look very far into the tape to see it. But when you start trying to build the case for the guy on a snap-by-snap basis, when you start reconciling his skill set with the prerequisites involved in certain roles in the NFL on real NFL defense...you get stuck. If Ejuan Price is just an obvious passing down pass rusher, he can't end up with very many snaps, and he can't ultimately be that valuable even if he's really effective. If Joe Mathis is a strict forward 3-4 OLB without a lot of versatility in coverage, he can play in that role in the NFL. But he will have a lot of competition, too. It's a role that a lot of players can play pretty well because it carries inherent advantages and doesn't tend to expose common weaknesses. In order to be truly valuable in that role he's going to have to achieve incredible pass rush efficiency. Which he can possibly do, as I said he looks unblockable as a standup rusher sometimes.

Between the lack of versatility, the off field questions about his general demeanor, and the significant injury history...I'm not expecting him to go as high as others are. If I were Miami, I would think about giving him a shot on Day 3, if he got there, because Miami's Wide-9 RDE position functions a little bit like a stand-up 3-4 OLB position, and in fact if Mathis is more comfortable rushing from the standing position and there's a clear case on film where he's more effective that way, he could actually do that in this defense and it wouldn't change much.

FS Josh Jones NC State 6-1 220

[video=youtube;K2a_cPHVf0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2a_cPHVf0Q[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'1"
Weight:220
Arm:32
Hand:9 3/8
40 Yard Official:4.41
Bench:20
Vertical:37.5
Broad:132
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Quick Quote:
“At 6-2 and 210 pounds, he has the size and speed to play in the NFL. His athletic ability will only help his draft stock at the NFL combine.” –The News&Observer
Scouting Report:
A tackling machine, Jones has played strong safety at NC State, and is an intriguing prospect that might be able to be positioned at different places in the secondary and near the line of scrimmage.
http://draftblaster.com/2017-NFL-Draft/schools/north-carolina-state/josh-jones-fs/

Jones was not a household name outside of the Research Triangle during his time at North Carolina State, and was snubbed for all-conference honors by ACC coaches. League media recognized that he was an impact defender for the Wolfpack, however, giving him honorable mention notice in 2016 after he led the team with 109 tackles (four for loss) and three interceptions, also breaking up eight passes. Jones had started eight games as a true freshman, finishing second in the ACC with four interceptions (he also had seven pass break-ups for the year). In 2015, he was a solid starter but lacked many big plays (63 tackles, 2.5 for loss, one INT, two PBU).
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-jones?id=2558119

Last edited by a moderator:
CB TreDavious White LSU 5-11 192

[video=youtube;Y9-Ka2tXX0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-Ka2tXX0I[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'11"
Weight:192
Arm:32 1/8
Hand:9 1/8
40 Yard Official:4.47
Bench:16
Vertical:32
Broad:119
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

He isn't quite as big as Jalen Collins and isn't the fastest player on the LSU roster, but he has the foot quickness and fluid athleticism to blanket receivers on the outside, using his instincts and ballskills to disrupt the catch point. White will take some unnecessary chances and fall victim to coverage lapses, but his football future is bright.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061255/tre#146;davious-white

Strengths Experienced island corner with slot reps over last two seasons. Quick twitch with exceptional footwork. Uses controlled hop-steps from press for extended face-up against receivers. Patient in press and rarely commits prematurely. Uses reactive quickness for quick recovery when beaten from slot. Pattern reader will jump path of route and attack throw. Plus click-and-close burst to ball. Impressive 15 passes defensed on 42 targets in 2016. Stop-start change of direction allows him to shadow in tight quarters. Sticky coverage on crossers and intermediate routes. Rose to challenge in coverage of Amari Cooper in 2014 and Calvin Ridley in 2016. Improved willingness to attack line of scrimmage and do his part against the run. Awarded coveted No. 18 jersey at LSU, symbolizing success and selfless attitude on and off the field. Three-year punt returner with a return touchdown in each season. Was also used as a gunner.
Weaknesses Finesse cornerback with relatively slender frame. Physicality and play strength a concern from slot. Big-bodied slot targets will post him up in space and drive him off the line in run game. Tackles when necessary, but doesn't seek out contact. Less technique-oriented and more grabby from slot. Finished career with just six interceptions despite extensive playing time. Early anchor from off coverage caused struggles opening hips when receivers would stem and go. Recovery-quick but not recovery-fast. Texas Tech speedster Jakeem Grant gave him all kinds of vertical work in 2015 Texas Bowl.
Sources Tell Us "He's kind of soft, but he can cover. He's not really what our team looks for because we play so much sub packages and he would have to be a better tackler to be on the field that much. He's a fit for what some teams do though. Like I said, he can cover." -- Regional scout with NFC team
NFL Comparison Tracy Porter
Bottom Line Full-time starter for better part of four years and one of the premier mirror-and-match cornerbacks in the game. Has the feet, athleticism and instincts for prolonged coverage responsibilities and his twitch will always have him near the throw. Best suited for all forms of man coverage. Should compete as special teams performer. Lacks run-support physicality to be an every-down corner, but he's talented enough to challenge for slot duties right away.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tre'davious-white?id=2557867

QB DeShone Kizer Notre Dame 6-4 230

[video=youtube;5GpDbvLQYJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GpDbvLQYJQ[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'4"
Weight:233
Arm:33 1/8
Hand:9 7/8
40 Yard Official:4.83
Bench:
Vertical:30.5
Broad:107
3-Cone:7.40
S. Shuttle:4.53
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with the desired height and developed build. Above average arm strength with easy velocity to make every NFL throw. Comfortable downfield passer, delivering with proper touch and trajectory. Efficient set-up with an elevated, natural release. Loose athlete with functional movements within the pocket to shuffle, slide and easily shift his weight. Veteran pocket movements and poise, keeping his vision downfield. Not a twitchy mover, but nimble for his size with the mobility to beat defenders with his open-field quickness. Understands ball placement and not intimidated by tight windows, throwing passes through the keyhole. Highly intelligent both on and off the field with the horizontal and vertical vision to make whole field reads. Asked to digest a complex playbook at Notre Dame, including pre-snap checks, protections and reads. Feels the blitz well and often has an escape plan, whether running or throwing it away. Stands tall in the pocket with the durability to take punishment, whether in the pocket or when scrambling. Wired right for the NFL with the mature work habits and unselfish attitude that NFL coaches are seeking.
WEAKNESSES: Internal clock lacks sophistication, holding the ball too long and appearing gun shy at times from the pocket. Too many late throws on his resume tape and would greatly benefit from speeding up his process a half second. Wide throwing base, stemming from his background as a baseball pitcher throwing off the mound. Bad habit of relying on pre-snap reads and staring down intended target, leading to poor decisions. Ball placement tends to waver, especially on the move when unable to rely on set-up mechanics. Consistency declined throughout the 2016 season and received questionable support from the head coach, causing his confidence to waver. Durable body type, but willingness to finish runs through contact leads to potential injuries. Ball security needs addressed with 13 career fumbles.
COMPARES TO: Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals: Though he has a long way to go to justify the comparison to a former No. 1 overall pick and three-time Pro Bowler, Kizer possesses the physical attributes and mental toughness scouts look for in a franchise quarterback, reminding of a young Palmer. Some forget that prior to a breakout Heisman-winning redshirt senior season in 2002, Palmer struggled with consistency, himself, tossing an identical 39 touchdowns and 39 interceptions before the light came on.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2142291/deshone-kizer

CB Jalen "Teez" Tabor Florida 6-0 201

[video=youtube;HkvcHbwdCRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkvcHbwdCRI[/video]

Combine Results:
Coming

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2131575/teez-tabor

My comp for Tabor is the lovechild of Asante Samuel and Joe Haden. He has more press ability than Samuel, and his size and speed remind me more of Haden, but his ability to break on the ball in off coverage is his best trait (similar to Samuel).

My comp for Tabor is the lovechild of Asante Samuel and Joe Haden. He has more press ability than Samuel, and his size and speed remind me more of Haden, but his ability to break on the ball in off coverage is his best trait (similar to Samuel).
I think he played with Haden his freshman year. IMO, he was just as good as Joe. His instincts are elite. I think he is going to do very well in the Pros. My only concern now with any corner is the difference in size between CB and WR. it seems as though the WRs are getting taller and taller. The corners have to stay around 6'0"because of hip flexibility.

I think he played with Haden his freshman year. IMO, he was just as good as Joe. His instincts are elite. I think he is going to do very well in the Pros. My only concern now with any corner is the difference in size between CB and WR. it seems as though the WRs are getting taller and taller. The corners have to stay around 6'0"because of hip flexibility.

Haden was on the team during the last year of that mini dynasty. If Meyer would've sacked up and changed his offense to fit Brantley's style who knows how long that could've lasted. Addazio shares blame too.

There was like 4 years between Haden and teez. Haden I thought comped better for Hargreaves - similar size, build, and skill set. Nearly identical draft slots too at 7 & 8. Neither draft was as loaded so it's not a knock on tabor that he prob won't go top 10, but he still might if he blows up the combine. I like rashean Mathis as a comp for teez. Very similar players that exude confidence and force turnovers. Would love for him to have a similar career as well.

Your right it was Hargraves he played with. After watching UF football for 42yrs., the players and years they played start to run together. My two favorite players at UF were Wilbur Marshall and Alonzo Johnson. It was sad to see how Wilbur's body fal apart after his playing days. Man, he was a man among boys in that USC game. He was the doctor of destruction on the field that day. When Marshall went to the Pros I thlought Alonzo would follow in his footsteps. But years later talking to a good friend of Alonzo's, he said that after his dad died, Alonzo kind of fell apart mentally. But I digress. Excuse my trip down memory lane.

Your right it was Hargraves he played with. After watching UF football for 42yrs., the players and years they played start to run together. My two favorite players at UF were Wilbur Marshall and Alonzo Johnson. It was sad to see how Wilbur's body fell apart after his playing days. Man, he was a man among boys in that USC game. He was the doctor of destruction on the field that day. When Marshall went to the Pros I thought Alonzo would follow in his footsteps. But years later talking to a good friend of Alonzo's, he said that after his dad died, Alonzo kind of fell apart mentally. But I digress. Excuse my trip down memory lane.

They were just a tad before my time. Mad I missed seeing Marshall and Youngblood wreck **** in college. Trace Armstrong is the one who comes to mind when I was younger ... but I was raised a ND fan so guys like the rocket and the bus are who stick out.

Kearse was probably the most dominant of them all though. Minus tebow, of course. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy in the pros.

RB Alvin Kamara Tennessee 5-10 214

[video=youtube;PlMwjzRJt2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMwjzRJt2k[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:5'10"
Weight:214
Arm:32 3/4
Hand:9 1/4
40 Yard Official:4.56
Bench:15
Vertical:39.5
Broad:131
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Spirited runner with NFL size and speed. Will open creases by varying pace of his runs. Burst to top speed is available at flip of a switch. Creates yardage with speed, wiggle and power. Twitchy and decisive. Strong lower body provides superior balance. Flexible and agile with ability to twist, spin and ricochet off of bodies and continue to gain yards after contact. Very productive; 23 touchdowns in just 284 touches at Tennessee. Well-liked inside program and a team leader. Can play on all three downs. Improved in pass protection and squares up blitzers. Has lined up at slot receiver at times. Sure-handed pass catcher with excellent burst out of breaks to consistently uncover. Has talent as punt returner.
Weaknesses Vision can be hit or miss. Not an instinctive runner. Needs to see running lane develop and is missing a feel for reading progressions of his blocks. Makes inconsistent decisions on stretch plays. Can be his own worst enemy on third level. Will run himself into a tackler rather than setting him up for a downfield blocker. Consistently cuts left when given an open-field choice against tackler. With knee injuries in his background, combine medicals could come into play. Needs to tuck ball high and tight to prevent fumbles.
NFL Comparison Thomas Jones
Bottom Line Ascending, competitive runner who has flashed explosive NFL talent at various times over the last two seasons. A committed runner with excellent balance who finds yardage that isn't blocked for him. While he has never logged 20 carries in a single game, he has the talent to play on all three downs if he can prove his durability.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/alvin-kamara?id=2558019Just sitting around listenoing to music

The projections of Kamara into the first round surprise me as much as anything in this year's draft. I've never bothered to analyze him one way or another. Normally a first round back jumps off the screen. Repeatedly. This guy is just there. Yeah, nice player.

These days it takes so much for a back to be whispered into the first round, let alone actually be picked there. I would have gone broke if someone had ventured that Kamara would be on that first round whisper list. Best of luck to any team that prefers him over Christian McCaffrey. I don't like their chances over a sample of 100 decisions of any type.

WR Malachi Dupre LSU 6-2 196

[video=youtube;6gTAKlbKsf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gTAKlbKsf0[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'2"
Weight:196
Arm:31 1/2
Hand:9
40 Yard Official:4.52
Bench:11
Vertical:39.5
Broad:135
3-Cone:7.19
S. Shuttle:4.26
60 Yard Shuttle:11.88

Malachi Dupre is a size receiver who’s listed at 6’3” and plays to that height. He has strong hands and long arms which help him attack the ball at its highest point. Dupre has proven to be a big-play threat and someone who can make plays down the field.
He’s most effective running a 9-route where he’s able to use his long strides to outpace the defender. His ability to track the ball and focus allows him to run under the pass and make an over the shoulder catch.
Dupre is able to out-leap most defenders and attack the ball at its highest point. However, he needs to work on his timing as there are too many situations where he cuts his route short and leaves his feet too early.
His strong hands also pop when he’s working the underneath routes. Dupre is able to adjust his body and pluck the ball away from his frame. This allows him to make those tough catches in traffic.
Route running is a concern for Dupre as he tends to slow down before making a cut. His size hurts his overall fluidity and ability to seamlessly get in and out of his breaks. This will limit where he lines up on the field and the type of route tree he’s asked to run.
Look for Dupre to run a lot of routes that let him use his size to his advantage or routes with easy cuts. There are plenty of receivers in the NFL that have a similar problem with most of them finding success because of their size.
Dupre brings some added value in the running game where he’s an aggressive and effective blocker. LSU’s offense is very run heavy which has helped him become a better blocker, but has also limited his opportunities to make catches.
Current Draft Position: Late 2nd Round
http://withthefirstpick.com/2016/08/05/2017-nfl-draft-lsu-malachi-dupre-scouting-report/

Strengths Has desired size and athletic ability. Experienced at multiple receiver spots. More talented than production would dictate. Tracks the deep throws like an outfielder and can adjust catch positioning without taking his eye off the ball. Consistently solid catch rate throughout his career. Adjusts to low throws and balls behind him to make the catch. Looks to turn it up the field quickly after the catch. Dips low and drives through cornerbacks while stretching for additional yardage. Small sample size during freshman season gave hints of his downfield potential.
Weaknesses Lacks upfield juice into his routes. Vertical push doesn't appear to threaten cornerbacks. Needs to play faster off the snap. Slow to sink and open on curls. Needs a greater commitment to nuances of route-running in order to improve his separation. Tends to tip his hand early allowing cornerbacks to match his patterns. Stalk-blocker with marginal aggression and sustain after initial contact.
Sources Tell Us "I was asked by someone at the school about where he would be drafted if he came out and I told them on the third day. I recommended he go back to school. His size is interesting but I don't see a fast player." - NFC Personnel Director
Bottom Line Big target who has suffered from arrested development due, in part, to quarterback inconsistencies at LSU. Dupre is a developmental receiver with some upside but it could take some time before he's ready to contribute. Could be a potential third or fourth wide receiver with time and coaching.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malachi-dupre?id=2558095

The projections of Kamara into the first round surprise me as much as anything in this year's draft. I've never bothered to analyze him one way or another. Normally a first round back jumps off the screen. Repeatedly. This guy is just there. Yeah, nice player.

These days it takes so much for a back to be whispered into the first round, let alone actually be picked there. I would have gone broke if someone had ventured that Kamara would be on that first round whisper list. Best of luck to any team that prefers him over Christian McCaffrey. I don't like their chances over a sample of 100 decisions of any type.
At the first of the year he was playing second fiddle to Jalen Hurd, but the more you watched the Vols play(at least in my opinion) you could see that Kamara was the better of the two. Hurd is good, but he runs too upright for my liking. I also find it surprising that he jumped into the 1st rd. He looked good when I watched him, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as McCaffrey(versatility) and Fournette(violent running style).

Right now with all the talk of Joe Mixon not being drafted at all, he represents an opportunity that I would almost be giddy to take advantage of, even if it's terrible from a political correctness standpoint to admit that.

The kid had just turned 18 years old a few months prior to the incident. He didn't rape anyone. It was 3am when drunk people come out to play. The girl in question motioned for him to come to the table so that they could argue. His body language was not aggressive. Then she got up and shoved him. He very nearly retaliated after the shove but stayed his hand and thought better of it. Then she punched him in the face. And then he made the mistake of his life, he decked her. Can't help but think if that were not a white girl we're not even having this conversation.

There's video of Pacman Jones decking a girl in the rope line outside of a club right in the face like that, with FAR less provocation. Far less. Not even close. And Devonte Fields is in the NFL Combine after having punched his girlfriend, held a GUN to her head, getting kicked out of TCU and generally being such a lazy jerk at the JUCO level that it's shocking Louisville even picked him up. Greg Hardy got chance after chance. Josh Brown got chance after chance.

If I'm any NFL team, I'm looking deep into Joe Mixon's history to see if that incident as an 18 year old was corroborated with any other behavior. If not, I'm not hesitating on draft day.

Back
Top Bottom