2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2019 Qb Upgrade Ideas

Csonked Out

Club Member
Reaction score
So i've seen a lot of talk on here about how we need to move on from Tannehill after the season but there haven't been a lot of ideas as to who would actually be available that would be an upgrade.

UFA's
Tyrod Taylor
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Robert Griffin III
Colin Kaepernick

Possible Free agents if released
Joe Flacco
Eli Manning

Potential Trade Options
Derek Carr
Jacoby Brissett
Russell Wilson- this one isn't very likely. There were rumors floating around in Sept but they seem to have died down

NFL Draft Options
Drew Lock- Missouri- will probably be the first qb off the board with Herbert going back to school but has accuracy issues, which are a huge red flag
Ryan Finley- NC State- consistency is still an issue for him also has pocket awareness issues and not the strongest arm
Justin Herbert- Oregon- would be the 1st overall pick but probably not coming out
Daniel Jones- Duke- My favorite QB in the draft but not a lot of experience and rumor has it he isn't coming out either
Will Grier- West Virginia- accuracy issues and consistency issues. Can't be counted upon as a starter in 2019 IMHO

I don't see an available upgrade at this point in time. 2019 is a terrible time to be replacing a QB. I would much rather spend some money on a quality backup like Ryan Fitzpatrick so there isn't such a drop off when Tannehill gets hurt again. Look for an upgrade in 2020 when the cap hit isn't so bad to release him and the QB draft will be much stronger.

Yup, I kinda said the same thing in other threads , with not as many of examples and as in detail as you did. Well done.

“Just pick anyone” though...... flip a coin.

I mean, we can all agree that if Fitzpatrick were signed for next year he should start over Tannehill, right? He's getting old, but on a 1 year-deal he would be a good gap QB until the 2020 draft.

I mean, we can all agree that if Fitzpatrick were signed for next year he should start over Tannehill, right? He's getting old, but on a 1 year-deal he would be a good gap QB until the 2020 draft.

Well he has played for what, every other AFC East team just about so...

I'd absolutely roll with Teddy Bridgewater

Ian Book to the draft list too. If he could be a mid round pick that would be very solid
I dont get this idea, what has he done at all lately to invest multiple years in. The dude went through a disgusting leg injury and now we want to invest big money in him.

That's to much a risk for me.

How would that be an upgrade to Tannehill if Tannehill is healthy?

I'd go with drafting a QB....we need to stop waiting for that perfect moment/QB that might never come.........we need to draft a QB that might not be amazing but he might be better than what we have now. Counting on Tannehill to come back from yet another injury while getting older makes no sense at all. At this pace we'll never draft one.
All this talk about the great QB's coming out in 2020, we have no guarantee that we'd get one and drafting a QB in 2019 does not prevent us from drafting one in 2020. This must be the only team in the NFL that thinks you can only draft one QB every 15 years or so.

he wouldn't be. He will be an upgrade over Osweiler when Tanny inevitably gets hurt again.

I dunno.

A torn ACL because Calais Campbell crashes into your knee, and a sore shoulder because some Bengal fell on it or twisted it back as the only two significant injuries in a 7 year career doesn't exactly scream "injury risk" to me.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here at hot take central.

If the shoulder turns out to be chronic or more serious we aren't having this discussion, because we'd be looking for a new starter.

I'd go with drafting a QB....we need to stop waiting for that perfect moment/QB that might never come.........we need to draft a QB that might not be amazing but he might be better than what we have now. Counting on Tannehill to come back from yet another injury while getting older makes no sense at all. At this pace we'll never draft one.
All this talk about the great QB's coming out in 2020, we have no guarantee that we'd get one and drafting a QB in 2019 does not prevent us from drafting one in 2020. This must be the only team in the NFL that thinks you can only draft one QB every 15 years or so.

I'm all for drafting a QB, but if he "might not be amazing" he better be a third rounder or later. No to putting lots of resources into "not amazing."

Daniel Jones is going to make a great NFL QB for some lucky team. He is very mobile and has surprising speed & a good arm but his greatest asset? Well, He plays for Duke so nuff said. I doubt he comes out early but he should be on Miamis radar as the future at the position.

Back
Top Bottom