2020 Prospects | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 Prospects

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I realize that soon enough, ridiculously soon to be honest, TedSlimmJr will throw up his 2020 prospect threads.

Until then, I think we should have a thread where we can talk about prospects that are not available in 2019 but could be or will be in 2020.

If you want to pine after quarterbacks like Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, Tua Tagovailoa, or Jordan Love, this is a good place to do that.

Even though he still won't even be eligible in 2020, I think Trevor Lawrence talk could go in here as well.

One of the reasons I decided to do this thread is because I was taking a look at Seth Doege's kid brother Jarret Doege at Bowling Green, and I'm actually pretty surprised how much there is to like.

Came on strong as a true freshman the last month of the 2017 season. He played all of 2018 as the starter and had a 27/12 touchdown to interception ratio, completing 62% of their passes.

I watched his first half against Oregon and I'm really impressed with some of the nuances in his game. He went out and took a 10-0 lead on the Ducks in their own stadium in the first game of the year, until a combination of Oregon's overwhelming talent and BGSU's comedy of errors on defense, special teams, and blocking, really reversed the flow of the game hard until Oregon got out to a 37-10 lead near the end of the half.

But then I was impressed that Doege was able to battle back and lead a scoring drive just before the half to get to 37-17. The game ended with Oregon laying 58 points on BGSU...but Doege was impressive against Jim Leavitt's defense. At least, in that first half.

The velocity isn't where I'd hope although it reminds me of Jimmy Garoppolo's in that he can really drive it with more pace when he's rolling to his right at a dead run.

Not exactly a world-beating prospect but definitely one that I think is going to have his name talked about a bit more in the coming years.

If he just all the sudden started throwing 85 foot throws that get there in 1.1 seconds instead of 1.2 seconds, I know that sounds trivial but it's sort of the reality of arm talent requirements in the NFL, but if he started doing that more consistently, I'd feel a lot better about him because of the sense I get of the total completeness of his skill set and offensive management.

As it is, fast forward two year and he's Brett Rypien. But, as he's already that as a true sophomore, don't be surprised if he grows from here.

One of the reasons I decided to do this thread is because I was taking a look at Seth Doege's kid brother Jarret Doege at Bowling Green, and I'm actually pretty surprised how much there is to like.

Came on strong as a true freshman the last month of the 2017 season. He played all of 2018 as the starter and had a 27/12 touchdown to interception ratio, completing 62% of their passes.

I watched his first half against Oregon and I'm really impressed with some of the nuances in his game. He went out and took a 10-0 lead on the Ducks in their own stadium in the first game of the year, until a combination of Oregon's overwhelming talent and BGSU's comedy of errors on defense, special teams, and blocking, really reversed the flow of the game hard until Oregon got out to a 37-10 lead near the end of the half.

But then I was impressed that Doege was able to battle back and lead a scoring drive just before the half to get to 37-17. The game ended with Oregon laying 58 points on BGSU...but Doege was impressive against Jim Leavitt's defense. At least, in that first half.

The velocity isn't where I'd hope although it reminds me of Jimmy Garoppolo's in that he can really drive it with more pace when he's rolling to his right at a dead run.

Not exactly a world-beating prospect but definitely one that I think is going to have his name talked about a bit more in the coming years.

If he just all the sudden started throwing 85 foot throws that get there in 1.1 seconds instead of 1.2 seconds, I know that sounds trivial but it's sort of the reality of arm talent requirements in the NFL, but if he started doing that more consistently, I'd feel a lot better about him because of the sense I get of the total completeness of his skill set and offensive management.

As it is, fast forward two year and he's Brett Rypien. But, as he's already that as a true sophomore, don't be surprised if he grows from here.

Yes. He's in my top 10 (#8) underclassman QB rankings for 2020. A list that has 12 more below him that includes some better known names. Good early call here on Doege.

I know Dylan McCaffrey is only going to be a sophomore but what do you think of him as a prospect? He’ll prob be coming out when Lawrence comes out. I also like Jacob Eason kids got a cannon for an arm.

But I’m still on that Tua train, I don’t think that’ll ever get derailed, unless he completely falls off next year.

Shea Patterson after having a full year in Harbaugh’s system could also boost his stock this upcoming season. He kind of reminds me of Mayfield.

I don't see Patterson amounting to much. Zero pocket presence. Too skiddish and routinely bails the pocket against a 3 man rush. I don't see him becoming much more than a late round flier.

He's one of the more well known names I just talked about being ranked below Doege in my early UC quarterback rankings. I think he's pretty terrible - which is why a true freshman Fromm shipped him out of town.

Yeah I watched his freshman stuff and while I understand he was ONLY a freshman and I want to allow room for growth, I still felt like I was watching Brock Osweiler circa 2011. I don't get the attraction some folks have to him.

I will tell you a QB that could come out of nowhere. It's someone as a fan of the Gators has infuriated me more than any other, that's Feleipe Franks. Right now he's nowhere but towards the back end of the season, started to really come on under Mullen's tutelage. Another full year under him and you could see that promise finally begin to bear fruit. The guy is a physical specimen, has a cannon arm, Mullen had coached an element of dual threat to him. He still can't be fully trusted to find open guys or see the play he needs to make, but there was significant signs of development towards the end of the season and Mullen's influence is huge, I have a lot of faith in him getting the best out of any QB.

I'm looking forward to seeing his development, assuming he holds off Emory Jones for the starting job next year.

Awesome content in Slimm's position prospect ranking threads.

Could be cool to combine Juniors with Seniors in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom