2022 Cap Space | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Cap Space

Gesicki, Baker, and Fuller are three projected starters this coming season who will all be free agents in 2022 if the Dolphin don’t resign them before the end of the season. If they choose to not resign these players, they will have to either sign free agents next year to replace them or hope they can replace them with players on the roster now or future draft picks in the 2022 draft.

I think Gesicki and Baker could be in-season resignings if they perform to expectations. I think Baker has struggled at times to be a complete LB. wish he was better vs the run. But I think he plays his role well as a blitz and cover guy. I wonder what he expect for a contract

Gesicki, Baker, and Fuller are three projected starters this coming season who will all be free agents in 2022 if the Dolphin don’t resign them before the end of the season. If they choose to not resign these players, they will have to either sign free agents next year to replace them or hope they can replace them with players on the roster now or future draft picks in the 2022 draft.
I think Hunter Long is the MG insurance policy

Actually right now over the cap have us with just over 70mill of cap space but we don't really know what the actual cap will be yet.

Cap space should skyrocket next year with 17 games and the new NFL TV contract.
That may not be the case. If teams are allowed to have full capacity during games then we shouldn't see any impact to cap for 2022 but if teams can't have stadiums at full capacity it will have a negative impact which means less cap space in 2022.

Here is a nice article about our 2022 Cap.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article250918094.html#:~:text=The Dolphins, once they sign,cap is $195 million cap.

Here’s how much cap flexibility and draft assets the Miami Dolphins have created for 2022​

As the Miami Dolphins continue down this course that places a premium on future draft picks and flexibility, here’s the good news:

Because of the way contracts are structured, and because of their restraint in 2021 free agency, they should have at least $40 million in cap space next spring and could carve out more than $70 million in cap space if they choose.

The question is whether they will trust themselves enough to use it on pricey free agents.

Alot of space, does that mean alot of free agents?

That may not be the case. If teams are allowed to have full capacity during games then we shouldn't see any impact to cap for 2022 but if teams can't have stadiums at full capacity it will have a negative impact which means less cap space in 2022.
I'm just going off ESPN and NFL news sources. Apparently the new TV contract is a massive increase in money. And reports are it will translate into a large increase in salary cap.
Besides, we should see full stadium seating in 2022.

I think Hunter Long is the MG insurance policy
I agree but Smythe is also a free agent and it would be a big hit to the TE unit if they lose both Gesicki and Smythe in free agency. Until Long comes in and proves he can play in the NFL, it would be major issue if they lose both of them in free agency.

I think Long was drafted to be the long term starter at the TE position but it would be great if he and Gesicki could be the two top TE’s over the next 3-4 years.

I'm just going off ESPN and NFL news sources. Apparently the new TV contract is a massive increase in money. And reports are it will translate into a large increase in salary cap.
Besides, we should see full stadium seating in 2022.
The last time the Dolphins actually had a full stadium was more than a decade ago. I had season tickets from 1973 through the 2018 season and for the last 10 years I was a season ticket holder, I saw less and less fans actually attending games and many of the fans attending the games were rooting for the opposing team.

While age and arthritis now prevents me from attending games, I do hope that with a young and exciting team, more Dolphin fans will start attending home games.

Alot of space, does that mean alot of free agents?
I think if the Dolphins win 10 or more games this year they can put together an SB contender with the right off season next year. This is all great news. They manage the team well, but guess what? It will still depend on Tua. No pressure young man.

Ogbah, Gesicki and Baker, could get extensions, but it remains to be seen whether they actually do. With Tua still on his rookie deal, it might be easier for Miami to have the money needed to resign all of them. Baker imo showed his worth as a blitzer last season. I think with Mckinney in Miami, you could see more of Baker as a designated pass rusher. If he proves out, Miami just might tag him? Ogbah, might be the hardest of the Three to get a relatively long term deal, done with. If not, I think Miami lets him walk and takes the comp pick in return.

Gesicki and Smythe are pretty much out the door. I'm not sure Miami Values them? But stranger things have happened. I know there are teams, who'll value Gesicki for what he is.

Back
Top Bottom