2024 Mock Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2024 Mock Draft

By all measures we are going to play a 3-4. Murphy along with nearly all the top DT’s are 4-3 DT’s and way too small to play in a 3-4. Just look at the body types we have signed along the DL. There appears to be no spot along the line for 6ft sub 300 pound player.

Graham Barton is the pick that makes the most sense due to his position versatility.

With that said I am shocked how thin we are at Safety. We only have two with both theoretically on 1 year deals. I can see DeJean being the pick at 21 as a hybrid DB.

I’m going with Barton over DeJean simply because I think we could get a similar hybrid DB at 55 but I don’t think we can get a player with Barton’s versatility there.
I think Murphy is big enough to play DE in a 3-4 scheme. He measured 6'1 297 at the combine. Wilkins weighs 310 and Sieler weighs 300 and they played 3-4 DE's in our scheme. Davis was the NT. I am not sure who will be playing that position in the future. Maybe we could get Sweat if we acquire a 4th since he is likely to slip in the draft or maybe Boyd in the 5th or 6th round.

I think this might be my favorite mock yet.

Verse is an elite edge defender and we don't know when Phillips and Chubb will return and how effective they will be.

Fiske could be a poor man's Byron Murphy and in fact he tested even better than Murphy at the combine.

We address the OL with Kiran and Zak.

Taylor gives us much needed safety depth. He won the Jim Thorpe award.

Smith could be vaulable with the new KO return rules. He was first team SEC special teams returner in 2023. He could also compete for WR3 hopefully with OBJ if we sign him.

Crum gives us even more OL depth. PFN_Draft_result_1713921705846.png

If we can't trade down then this is a draft I would like.

Murphy replaces Wilkins.

Beebe replaces Hunt.

Johsnon gives us some pass rush which we will need until Phillips and Chubb return.

Jacobs is not an immediate need but thought he was too good to pass up.

Taylor and Sheppard add secondary depth.

Then sign OBJ or DJ Chark to be our WR3.

View attachment 169350
Title...the replacement draft. But that would work for me.

I'm not sure if Grier views the DT as fixed for now, but generating inside pressure is important.

I'm a fan of Beebe's physical game. Like Frazier too.

Verse is an elite edge defender and we don't know when Phillips and Chubb will return and how effective they will be.

Fiske could be a poor man's Byron Murphy and in fact he tested even better than Murphy at the combine.

Smith could be vaulable with the new KO return rules. He was first team SEC special teams returner in 2023. He could also compete for WR3 hopefully with OBJ if we sign him.

Crum gives us even more OL depth. View attachment 169396
Love it!

Barton worries me too much, especially for a guy projected to be drafted in the first round. He’s injury prone. Speaking of measurables, For a 6’5” tall man Barton is tiny! If you think Murphy is too small you need to keep in mind that his arms are almost the exact same size as Barton’s, who is almost 5 inches taller then him and Murphy’s hands are an inch bigger. The term Jack of All Trades, Master Of None” comes to mind and that concerns me about Barton. If I’m using a 1st round pick on a player I want to know exactly where he’s going to play. Also, back the the injuries, one of the other important things about a 1st round pick is availability. The Dolphins don’t need yet another player on the IR list, especially a player they used a 1st round pick on.

He is far from injury prone.

“He started in 34 straight games to begin his career. His streak ended this past season when he missed three games with an injury. However, Barton racked up 39 career starts, with 34 coming at left tackle and five at center.”

He worked out and excelled at the combine so the injury late last year shouldn’t be a concern.

He isn’t perfect by any means but it his versatility that stands out. We could start him at guard day one who eventually takes over at center and he could pull spot duty when Armstead goes down.

I’m just leaning Barton because the athletic profile fits our offense and unless one of the top tackles slip, he will be one of the last top linemen available at 21.

Back to Murphy; great player just in no way suited for the type of defense that is coming to Miami. 3-4 linemen are gap fillers, regularly taking on double teams and holding their ground. Murphy, Newton, Jenkins are quick gap shooters in the Aaron Donald mode. All of them struggle to hold up in the run game particularly against double teams because they lack the overall mass (height, weight, strength) to do so. Asking them to operate as gap fillers would be a waste of their immense talent and that project would ultimately fail.

In my opinion the type of linemen we have signed clearly indicate we are going with traditional tall, big-bodied players.

In this years draft, if we go in that direction, it is more likely we will look at players like Robinson, Smith, Orhorhoro or even Sweat.

I think Murphy is big enough to play DE in a 3-4 scheme. He measured 6'1 297 at the combine. Wilkins weighs 310 and Sieler weighs 300 and they played 3-4 DE's in our scheme. Davis was the NT. I am not sure who will be playing that position in the future. Maybe we could get Sweat if we acquire a 4th since he is likely to slip in the draft or maybe Boyd in the 5th or 6th round.

Wilkins is 6’4”, Seiler 6’6”, both much bigger men. Even with that being said the 2024 defense is not going to be the 2023 defense.

Take a look at the defensive linemen on the Ravens roster;

Then compare to ours, many of who we just signed;

You may see a trend with the type of linemen they are looking for.

The other thing you may notice about the Ravens linemen, you and most people have never even heard of any of them. This tells me they do not care for big names, just lots of big bodies to rotate in.

I did avoid the news but the “why of this” was common knowledge during the season. Grier put the Dolphins in cap hell, had TWENTY SIX players enter into Free Agency in the same offseason, and obviously had a terrible game plan heading into the 2024 season. GRIER is the WHY the Dolphins had no money to retain Wilkins and/or Hunt. The Dolphins have always been notorious for allowing for their homegrown talent to leave and win for other teams while over paying for other teams garbage. This goes back to the early 2000’s. Grier is a terrible GM and the odds of him actually drafting a player in the 1st round are pretty slim because his ridiculous draft strategy is quantity over quality. That’s how he is dealing with the Wilkins situation. He’s signed about 12 DT’s to TRY and take the place of Wilkins. These guys would all have to be on the field at the same time to get his production.
Welp, seems like you've hit every nail on the head.

Great Mock, Shawn!

I’ve been doing a lot more reading leading up to tomorrow’s draft and there are certain players that are climbing up draft boards. Zak Zinter happens to be one of them. From everything I’ve read I’d be shocked if he made it past the 3rd round. “IF” the Dolphins traded back and gained an extra 2nd round pick or a 3rd round pick I would love it if they drafted Zinter there. Another player the Dolphins might want to consider is a 4 year starter at Right Guard, Christian Haynes. He might be a nice replacement for Hunt considering he has so much experience playing that one position that the Dolphins need.

I would love that draft.

Great Mock, Shawn!

I’ve been doing a lot more reading leading up to tomorrow’s draft and there are certain players that are climbing up draft boards. Zak Zinter happens to be one of them. From everything I’ve read I’d be shocked if he made it past the 3rd round. “IF” the Dolphins traded back and gained an extra 2nd round pick or a 3rd round pick I would love it if they drafted Zinter there. Another player the Dolphins might want to consider is a 4 year starter at Right Guard, Christian Haynes. He might be a nice replacement for Hunt considering he has so much experience playing that one position that the Dolphins need.
Thanks I think I have narrowed down my first round preferences to Jared Verse and Byron Murphy in that order. If one of them are available there then I would take them. If not then I would trad down. I am not as high on Newton. i read that he has some physical limitattions and is not very good against the run.

I agree about Haynes if he is there at 55 then we should take him. He would be a nice replacement for Hunt. If not then we could look to trade down. I really want to acquire a 3rd and 4th but not at the expense on missing out on some players who could really help us.

Thanks I think I have narrowed down my first round preferences to Jared Verse and Byron Murphy in that order. If one of them are available there then I would take them. If not then I would trad down. I am not as high on Newton. i read that he has some physical limitattions and is not very good against the run.

I agree about Haynes if he is there at 55 then we should take him. He would be a nice replacement for Hunt. If not then we could look to trade down. I really want to acquire a 3rd and 4th but not at the expense on missing out on some players who could really help us.
I agree with you on Haynes.

Our opinions on the 1st round are almost identical. If you read my original post again you will see that I want the Dolphins to do the exact same thing you do. I want them to draft Murphy or Verse and if neither player is there I would prefer that they trade back and pick up additional draft picks, preferably with a team moving back into the 1st round so the Dolphins could get an earlier pick in the rounds they are trading to get. The only difference in our opinions is that you like Verse better then Murphy and I have them reversed. Murphy #1A and Verse 1B.

Back
Top Bottom