MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
ESPNews. Buster Onley reporting.

TB--Gets a whole bunch of prospects from Boston and NY Mets

Mets--Get Manny from Boston and Danny Baez from TB

Boston --Gets Mike Cameron and Aubry Huff

Very good chance this happens this weekend according to Buster.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
If this goes down the Red Sox are stupider then I thought!

Exactly what I am thinking. I also think the Mets will become serious players in the NL this year as well and make a late run to get in the playoffs. And in that crappy division that shouldn't be hard.

Manny and prospects for Huff and Cameron makes me want to puke. Say it ain't so Theo.

I hope this is true for 2 reasons.

1. because it weakens Boston's lineup. Huff and Cameron are not Manny and we all know how much Boston relies on their lineup in games. Huff and Cameron combined won't make up for Manny IMO!

2. Because you know the Yankees are going to make a big move now that the Mets have. Even though I don't think the Yankees need to go out and get Griffey type player, we all know how much George hates getting beat to the back page. Something will brew with the Yankees if this goes down and I would expect a big pitcher or player on the Yankees before Sunday's deadline if this goes down!

I don't think it will either. I think this is pure speculation. When trades like this go down, they usually just go down. Whenever there's a big media spectacle over it, it's usually just smoke!

Cameron and Huff are in NO way even close to equal value. If it goes down, then someone is going to be eating ALL of Manny's contract.

The Red Sox aren't gonna be stuck with much less talent AND be paying the bill.

Stupid deal for everyone, I think. Boston, don't need to explain it. Tampa Bay, because Boston's and New York's best prospects aren't that great, unless they get Hanley, Sanchez, Paplebon, and maybe even Delcarmen as well as Duncan.

Why is it stupid for the Mets? Well, it's another huge contract, and you know they're paying it...don't even say that Tampa or Boston would pay for it. I know this is New York, but look how much money they will have invested for Pedro, Beltran, Manny, Floyd, Benson, Piazza (his contract expires after this season, though, I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong, because it strengthens my point :D ), and Matsui. I'm not going to add up all the numbers because I don't care about the Mets that much, but that's gotta be close to $100 million annually for 7 players.

If it works for them, great, and it sucks for me as a Marlins fan. But if it doesn't work and they still miss the playoffs, well, they're totally hamstrung with the team they have. As far as I'm concerned, the Mets don't need more offense. Beltran, Floyd, and Cameron is an above-average outfield, Wright and Reyes (when healthy) are studs, and Piazza can still hold his own as a hitter. But I still see a rotation with only one dominant arm, one good one (Heilman), and three mediocre-at-best ones (Benson, Zambrano, and Ishii never scare me as an opposing hitter). Even more, they need Baez more than Boston does. Looper is not dependable, and Roberto Hernandez is 95 years old. The rest of the pen is crap, no offense to Mets fans.

Adding a Manny Ramirez can not hurt the Mets, but the question is whether it will help enough. They're not going to win the division; Atlanta has shown that they are good and consistent enough to do that. They're going to have to contend with some very tough Houston, Florida, Philadelphia, and Chicago teams (Washington is cooked) to win the Wild Card. I still don't think that trade will happen either way, but there's a whole lot of risk involved with this one for all 3 teams.

ESPN said:
A source said the Red Sox felt they could not go ahead with trading Ramirez and two prime prospects -- reportedly catcher Kelly Shoppach and right-hander Anibal Sanchez -- if all they were receiving was New York's Cameron and Tampa Bay's Huff. So they went back to the Mets "for more pieces," the source reported. At that point, the Mets "squashed the whole thing" and talks broke off.

Why am I not surprised?

The stupid media continues to blow stuff out of proportion. There is absolutely no way Manny, Sanchez and Shoppach go for Cameron and Huff. It doesn't make any sense if you are the Red Sox, letting way too much talent leave your organization for an overrated player in general (Cameron) and a decent player who's having a down year (Huff).

Theo would be crucified if he made this deal, mind as well throw in Lester and Paplebon while your at it, Theo.

Anyway, here's the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2119978

RWhitney014 said:
Stupid deal for everyone, I think. Boston, don't need to explain it. Tampa Bay, because Boston's and New York's best prospects aren't that great, unless they get Hanley, Sanchez, Paplebon, and maybe even Delcarmen as well as Duncan.

Why is it stupid for the Mets? Well, it's another huge contract, and you know they're paying it...don't even say that Tampa or Boston would pay for it. I know this is New York, but look how much money they will have invested for Pedro, Beltran, Manny, Floyd, Benson, Piazza (his contract expires after this season, though, I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong, because it strengthens my point :D ), and Matsui. I'm not going to add up all the numbers because I don't care about the Mets that much, but that's gotta be close to $100 million annually for 7 players.

If it works for them, great, and it sucks for me as a Marlins fan. But if it doesn't work and they still miss the playoffs, well, they're totally hamstrung with the team they have. As far as I'm concerned, the Mets don't need more offense. Beltran, Floyd, and Cameron is an above-average outfield, Wright and Reyes (when healthy) are studs, and Piazza can still hold his own as a hitter. But I still see a rotation with only one dominant arm, one good one (Heilman), and three mediocre-at-best ones (Benson, Zambrano, and Ishii never scare me as an opposing hitter). Even more, they need Baez more than Boston does. Looper is not dependable, and Roberto Hernandez is 95 years old. The rest of the pen is crap, no offense to Mets fans.

Adding a Manny Ramirez can not hurt the Mets, but the question is whether it will help enough. They're not going to win the division; Atlanta has shown that they are good and consistent enough to do that. They're going to have to contend with some very tough Houston, Florida, Philadelphia, and Chicago teams (Washington is cooked) to win the Wild Card. I still don't think that trade will happen either way, but there's a whole lot of risk involved with this one for all 3 teams.

Stupid for everyone? NOT the METS!!! Piazza is gone after this year they need another bat. Baez is the bullpen help they are longing for. An outfield of Floyd, Beltran, Manny is maybe the best in baseball.

Maybe they won't make the playoffs this year, but they will make a late run and will be the odds on favorites going into NEXT year in the National league.

Come on Boston.. you know you wanna do it (Yankees fan), or maybe they should trade manny to yanks for Tony Womack and Bernie Williams... sounds good to me

Back
Top Bottom