3 Yards Per Carry - Draft Recap | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 Yards Per Carry - Draft Recap

Best thing about the off-season moves is that it helps not only Tannehill but any QB we put behind centre. Nothing makes a QB look good like actually having a solid team around him. If we get the run game going expect Tannehill to feast of play action especially if Gesicki, Parker and Stills play to potential.

Perhaps this is mostly anecdotal but I always perceived Jarvis Landry as a guy that was part of the late start/fast finish phenomenon.

We talked about it on I believe Episode 1.1. Here's Jarvis Landry's career split into 1st half/2nd half:

1ST HALVES
: 40 of 52 for 343 yards, 0 TD
2015: 49 of 73 for 478 yards, 2 TD
2016: 37 of 52 for 351 yards, 1 TD
2017: 55 of 74 for 401 yards, 3 TD
Total: 181 of 251 for 1,573 yards, 6 TDs...8.7 yards per catch, 6.3 yards per target, 2.39% TD rate

2ND HALVES
: 44 of 60 for 415 yards, 5 TD
2015: 62 of 93 for 681 yards, 2 TD
2016: 56 of 77 for 753 yards, 3 TD
2017: 58 of 88 for 586 yards, 6 TD
Total: 220 of 318 for 2,435 yards, 16 TDs...11.1 yards per catch, 7.7 yards per target, 5.03% TD rate

It's absolutely ridiculous.

The guy took over games in the second halves, but was really a BAD wide receiver in the first half of games.

I don't know what else you'd call a receiver who over two full seasons worth of games averages 90 catches for 787 yards and 3 TDs on 126 targets. That's not a good wide receiver. That is absolutely a reason you get off to slow starts as an offense.

But in the second half, after the defense has sort of given you a clue as to what they're doing to defend you, and after the player can get his head into the game a bit more, we're talking 110 catches for 1,218 yards and 8 TDs on 159 targets. It's Jarvis Landry at his best.

I think just letting Jarvis Landry go off to a new team you're going to see an immediate change in the way Miami gets off to slow starts and then tries to play catch-up.

That's good stuff CK. Just a thought now, I'm not backing this up with analysis...

1. how much of those second half surges could be attributed to "garbage yards" in games they are getting blown out in?
2. Similar question...how much of that second half production is a bi-product of playing from way behind where you have to throw the ball a lot. Lots of catches but how many targets resulted in turnovers and falling short of the sticks? Notice, the yards and TDs go way up, but so do the targets.

I think an interesting analysis would be one that relates production to when the game is "still a contest." That could include games Miami is blowing the other team out in as well of course (rare). :) Appreciate you Chris, good stuff.

That's good stuff CK. Just a thought now, I'm not backing this up with analysis...

1. how much of those second half surges could be attributed to "garbage yards" in games they are getting blown out in?
2. Similar question...how much of that second half production is a bi-product of playing from way behind where you have to throw the ball a lot. Lots of catches but how many targets resulted in turnovers and falling short of the sticks? Notice, the yards and TDs go way up, but so do the targets.

I think an interesting analysis would be one that relates production to when the game is "still a contest." That could include games Miami is blowing the other team out in as well of course (rare). :) Appreciate you Chris, good stuff.
Also the physicality of Jarvis was running-back like...how much was due to CB getting worn down by his playing style? I could imagine his # of broken tackles going up in the 2nd half...

Because Bradford has become the modern day Steve Deberg. He is making a career of getting chased out of town by draft picks.

He was traded by the Rams who were planning on taking a QB #1 overall. Then Philly takes a QB at #2 overall. Minn grabs Cousins (little different this time), and now Arizona drafts Rosen.

Four times that Bradford is bumped by a new QB.

For you young guys, Deberg was in SF when they drafted Montana, in Denver when they drafted Elway, and in TB when they drafted Steve Young and Vinny Testaverde.
Wait TB drafted young ? Wtf happened? Ouch!

Steve Young was terrible in TB. 3-16 in two years with a passer rating of 63.

Great example of the fact that even great QBs or those with the potential to become great will often struggle and won't win a lot of games when they have a terrible team around them.

Perhaps this is mostly anecdotal but I always perceived Jarvis Landry as a guy that was part of the late start/fast finish phenomenon.

We talked about it on I believe Episode 1.1. Here's Jarvis Landry's career split into 1st half/2nd half:

1ST HALVES
: 40 of 52 for 343 yards, 0 TD
2015: 49 of 73 for 478 yards, 2 TD
2016: 37 of 52 for 351 yards, 1 TD
2017: 55 of 74 for 401 yards, 3 TD
Total: 181 of 251 for 1,573 yards, 6 TDs...8.7 yards per catch, 6.3 yards per target, 2.39% TD rate

2ND HALVES
: 44 of 60 for 415 yards, 5 TD
2015: 62 of 93 for 681 yards, 2 TD
2016: 56 of 77 for 753 yards, 3 TD
2017: 58 of 88 for 586 yards, 6 TD
Total: 220 of 318 for 2,435 yards, 16 TDs...11.1 yards per catch, 7.7 yards per target, 5.03% TD rate

It's absolutely ridiculous.

The guy took over games in the second halves, but was really a BAD wide receiver in the first half of games.

I don't know what else you'd call a receiver who over two full seasons worth of games averages 90 catches for 787 yards and 3 TDs on 126 targets. That's not a good wide receiver. That is absolutely a reason you get off to slow starts as an offense.

But in the second half, after the defense has sort of given you a clue as to what they're doing to defend you, and after the player can get his head into the game a bit more, we're talking 110 catches for 1,218 yards and 8 TDs on 159 targets. It's Jarvis Landry at his best.

I think just letting Jarvis Landry go off to a new team you're going to see an immediate change in the way Miami gets off to slow starts and then tries to play catch-up.

Always good to see when facts mirror perception...

I keep it simple. Unsure WHY we've been so pathetic out of the gate and therefore consistently playing uphill and never getting the supposed benefit of our Ds rush attack etc.

Gotta keep in mind "BALANCE" starts with the scoreboard.

Perhaps one of the "benefits" of losing Landry will be (a) more diversification and subsequent (b) spreading the risk of performance among multi players...

The big kid @TE from Penn State playing quasi slot etc. could be very cool. I sure hope he's ready for the Pros.

Big step. But I get the feelin' he may be ready for immediate IMPACT!

Wouldn't THAT be nice!!!

BNF

We are up every Thursday morning in the offseason. Our latest is up now. Get us on iTunes, Podbean, Stitcher, Youtube, etc...

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

If you guys could just add the Alf from TV into the mix...

alf.jpg

Awww sheizen! Finally, I know who the infamous Boomer is. Hey man, sorry I gave you any flak on the other site. Truly outstanding podcast! You and Carmen Cygni get lifetime passes from here on out.

All good my man.

If you guys liked it and subscribed, we'd be stoked if you could leave a review over at iTunes when you're next there.

Cheers!
Boom.

Back
Top Bottom