#5 and X Howard to Lions for #3? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#5 and X Howard to Lions for #3?

This trade suggestion was made in a thread not too long ago.
Trades like this so rarely happen, a player and your pick for a higher pick. Usually trades are picks for picks, or a single player for a pick or picks. It's not often a player is tossed in as part as a trade up.
It is just a fan's way of figuring out a way to get a higher pick for his team without giving up our first rounders.
If I'm Detroit it might make some sense, till you try to squeeze X's salary under their cap. Then they are asking for more to take that contract.
Ain't no way it's happening.

Lmao are you a Lions fan?
Nope, I just wouldnt be surprised if the Dolphins are looking at their players for trading opportunities. There's no doubt this helps the Lions, for sure. But that's why, if Tua is our guy, that we need to trade with the Lions. Because another team will hop over us. I'm a believer that Tua is a once-in-a-generation talent. All QBs get injured. He's gonna be fine. Or not. But he's worth the risk.

I couldn't imagine the next 10-20 years if we let someone trade in front of us, they nab Tua and he becomes the next Russel Wilson. Meanwhile, we settle with the next Mitch Trubisky. We can't bungle this. If Tua is our guy, we need to be the ones to get him. So it's gotta appeal to Detroit, more so than any other team. With Howard and Okudah (at 5) they could transform their secondary. I'd miss Howard, but hey, I'll gladly part with him if it means finding our next Marino.

Team has already given up best O-Lineman and Fitzpatrick that was decent and has now made a home in Pittsburgh. If Phins give up Howard it makes a big dent in the defensive backfield. As our HC is Defensive minded I will be shocked if he gives up Howard.

I’d keep Howard. He’s a good complement to Jones. Howard is a playmaker. It’s not a fluke after awhile when he keeps making plays on the ball. Jones has not been a playmaker. They should be a good combo.

I don’t know the Lions cap but if I got Howard and then either Derrick Brown or Simmons at five? Holy moly. That’s a huge infusion of big time talent.

So many people on this site are willing to give up so much to take a player who will most likely be there at #5 due to injury concerns and his longevity in the league. I am sure glad they are not running this draft!
The Dolphins have so many needs that I would actually like to see what we can get for pick 18. A receiver like Justin Jefferson will most likely be on the board and the Vikings, Eagles, and Colts are desperate for a WR!
Personally, I would like to get Indy to bite for a 2021 1st round and their 2020 2nd round #34 and their 2020 3rd round #75. Hell, I'll be a little generous and throw in our 4th round pick #141 to make it happen. lol

Don’t understand why people are so interested to take on a TON of dead cap and give up the best ball hawking corner in football for next to nothing. If we give up anything to move up two spots for Herbert or Tua I would be pissed, to give up or best player to do it is unthinkable.

So many people on this site are willing to give up so much to take a player who will most likely be there at #5 due to injury concerns and his longevity in the league. I am sure glad they are not running this draft!
The Dolphins have so many needs that I would actually like to see what we can get for pick 18. A receiver like Justin Jefferson will most likely be on the board and the Vikings, Eagles, and Colts are desperate for a WR!
Personally, I would like to get Indy to bite for a 2021 1st round and their 2020 2nd round #34 and their 2020 3rd round #75. Hell, I'll be a little generous and throw in our 4th round pick #141 to make it happen. lol
I'll trade you Pennsylvania and B&O rail roads for Park Place and that get out of jail free card.

What are we doing here? Trading random picks without any idea who is even left on the board?

Playoffs? Playoffs????? We're talking about PLAYOFFS????

Classic Jim Mora.......

Ponderous man...... Neil Neil Neil in the morning.....Neil wakes you up with a smile.....

I believe I need a drink.....

Last edited:
I'll trade you Pennsylvania and B&O rail roads for Park Place and that get out of jail free card.

What are we doing here? Trading random picks without any idea who is even left on the board?

Playoffs? Playoffs????? We're talking about PLAYOFFS????

Classic Jim Mora.......

Ponderous man...... Neil Neil Neil in the morning.....Neil wakes you up with a smile.....

I believe I need a drink.....

LOL.... I like your Monopoly quote.. But seriously, most every draft in the past has a specific talent value. History usually says that after the first 10 picks in any draft, there isn't an appreciable difference of talent from pick 11 to pick 50. If you don't have a selection in the top 10 then it usually is wise to trade back and acquire more picks between 11-50.

The more picks you have the law of probability is on your side to hit on the picks you end up selecting.

Thoughts on a potential trade:

Would the Lions take Howard, a shutdown CB (with injury issues) and the number 5 pick to let us move up to number 3? Is Howard worth the difference between the 3rd and 5th picks, or would we need to sweeten the deal?

Was Byron Jones brought in for this reason? Paying two superstar CB contracts is tough and Howard has some injury concerns. We could reload at CB in the draft with multiple picks if we wanted. Rookie contracts are nice and cheap these days.

Is this a better trade than giving up draft picks? You can never have enough Corners and I absolutely love the idea of Jones and Howard locking down our secondary. But for the QB of the future, would you accept this trade?

* He's injured.
* Can't pass a physical.
* Tremendous cap hit if traded this year.
* Unresolved domestic violence accusation.

Howard and those 3 5th round picks for a 2020 1st and 2021 2nd and you gotta deal.

Back
Top Bottom