5 most overhyped teams according to The Sporting News | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

5 most overhyped teams according to The Sporting News

I honestly think the Dolphins are both a prime candidate to be hyped and to be OVERhyped.

Cuz I mean honestly its too easy to do both. We're a perennial playoff team that always exits the first round. We have a good defense, and the offense always lets us down (defense too down the stretch).

But whats the thing that eludes us most in the playoff runs? Running game and consistent point scoring.

So we add Ricky Williams and Norv Turner onto the team we had last year. Seems pretty simple to say well basically we've filled our only big holes. Hence the hype.

But if NFL recent history tells us anything, its that teams that fill their most pressing needs during free agency often get their strength as a team sapped off from somewhere else that they didn't expect and they end up not being the super team they looked like on paper. So in this case the hype creates the overhype position...but only because in the NFL, what looks good usually isn't. Thats the only reason why the Phins are called overhyped, because its too easy to see why they are being hyped.

Originally posted by BMarion31
I'm sure Ricky will shake that oft-injured description very soon. Playing on turf will injure just about anybody. Being on grass for atleast 8 games a season will help that.

Hate to break it to ya, but all of Ricky's injuries happened on grass. Sprained ankle in Miami, dislocated elbow in SF, broken ankle in Carolina.

rwilliams111200-1.jpg

Originally posted by nomad

Hate to break it to ya, but all of Ricky's injuries happened on grass. Sprained ankle in Miami, dislocated elbow in SF, broken ankle in Carolina.

rwilliams111200-1.jpg

That's true. But playing on turf most of the time causes the wear and tear that will eventually result in these type of injuries too. The constant breaking down and cutting on turf puts a lot of strain on the joints and ligaments that are in both the ankles and knees. Plus falling on turf is much different than grass also. Take it from a person that played on turf quite a bit.

I second that Finatical One. I only played on turf like 4 times, and I never want to do it again. Thats stuff hurts, especially when a 300 lb guys is slamming you to it. Playing 8 games a season on turf can really wear you down. This move to grass will really help Ricky and his health.

Speaking of overhyped, check out ESPN's ananlysis of the Jills.

With Bledsoe in the fold and players such as wide receivers Eric Moulds and Peerless Price and Fletcher, the Bills are certainly a team on the rise. Going from the basement to the playoffs might be too tall an order. However, expecting eight wins is reasonable.

That pretty much says it all right there. And as far as experts go, I respect Pasquarelli's opinion since he seems to be one of the more unbiased, well informed commentators in the league.

ESPN's Bills Analysis

P.S. The analysis of the 'Fins will be coming down the chutes tomorrow so we'll see what Pasquarelli and Clayton have to say about the 'Fins. Good things I hope. :D

What's with this talk of Bowens injury history? Compared to other DT's he's been relatively well off. As for Gardener his injuries come from the fact he's too tall to play as a DT and playing low to the ground like a DT does has put too much strain on his back.

:monkey: on bad salary cap guru wanna-be's

By the way for the "overhyped" team. I hope you Bills fans are ready for Ricky and Chambers coming at you and I hope your ready for Drew to meet our possible secondary of Madison/Surtain/Fletcher/Buckley/Marion/Freeman. Drew's going to look around at each and go "oh christ I wish they traded me to the NFC".

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember these are the same writer that probably said the Rams would win the SB,the Patriots wouldnt even make the playoffs,yada yada yada..

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
That assesment doesn't sound overhyped to me expo!

That was my point exactly. All I've been reading about on other websites is how Bledsoe is going to swoop in and save the day for the Bills and all along I've been saying that the guy is getting old, his skills are diminishing, and he will not be a savior for a franchise that's desperate for a QB. My prediction is that Bledsoe gets knocked out somewhere within the first 4 games of the season and AVP has to come in once again for the remainder. It should be interesting.

i think they got the best qb that they could(who else was out there really) i think if he stays healthy he will perform and improve theyre team...but the playoffs probably wont happen...they cant stop the run:) coincidently they are probably the only defensive line im sure our offensive line can push around:)

"That was my point exactly. All I've been reading about on other websites is how Bledsoe is going to swoop in and save the day for the Bills and all along I've been saying that the guy is getting old, his skills are diminishing, and he will not be a savior for a franchise that's desperate for a QB. My prediction is that Bledsoe gets knocked out somewhere within the first 4 games of the season and AVP has to come in once again for the remainder. It should be interesting."

Now I wouldn't say I agree with that though. I will say that maybe we have gotten a little Bledsoe crazy up here but he is most definitly a huge upgrade over what we had before.

I agree, but I think you guys could've gone out and picked up Dilfer for a much more amiable price and would have probably been better off due to the fact that he's more durable. We'll see when the pads come on, and people in different colored jersies start lining up on opposite sides of the line though.

Aside from Bledsoes injury last year(which was a freak thing) He has been very durable over the years, and I feel that Bledsoe is better than Dilfer, but I wouldn't have minded picking him up either.

Back
Top Bottom