72 dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

72 dolphins

The 72 Dolphins is the greatest single season they were "Perfect" first of all and remember they still won 3 playoff games and would have shut out the redkins in the Super Bowl 17-0 but that idiot tried to throw the football the skins were completly dominated no answer, no team had any answer another thing you wanna bring up weak schedule i got a news flash for ya look up the strenght of schedule for the SB teams its always the weakest schedule not just for the Dolphins. 49ers in the NFC West for 20 years had a cake walk in that division please and it got them 4 sb you will notice that teams with the toughest schedules arent in the playoffs look it up the stats are right there.You cant compare body types from the 70's and 90's because the 90's has an advantage with supplements,steriods, and new weight lifting equipment and workouts. I'm sorry the Pats dynasty I believe is the weakest of the dynasties, and the Dolphins dynasty in the 70's would have been so much greater had that dumb football league stole a couple of our best guys yall know who they were.Plus you compare the players also compare the coaches Don Shula is the greatest coach ever along with his unblemished team of 72 and if thats not the greatest then you tell me why that 72 will only ever be under "THE MIAMI DOLPHINS"

I'll try not to be biased but I'll admit it will be hard. When I consider the argument for the fins being the best of all time it is hard to argue against it. Besides going undefeated and and having a two-year record of 32-2 in their two Super Bowl winning seasons. The 72 fins had the #1 rated offence and #1 rated defense in the NFL. None of the other teams on your list could say the same. They had a running back tandem that is without peer in the history of the league. A Hall of Fame WR, QB, C, G and mutiple other pro bowl players running a style of offence that could dominate any team it faced. Their defense had pro bowl players at every level. I do not think any other team that you mentioned could stack up favorably against them.

It isn't fair to compare teams of the 60's and 70's to teams of the 90's or 00's. Much more is known about training and nutrition.
A more fair comparison would be to compare how they dominated their contemporaries. The 72 and 73 Dolphins were physically and mentally dominant. Miami's O-line and running game completely dominated both of their SB's (as did their defense). In those 2 SB's, the no name defense gave up a total of 3 points while pitching a shutout against the Redskins (Garo's faux pas notwithstanding).
I think all the other teams mentioned with the exception of the Pats have an argument. Even though the Pats win, they have never been physically dominant. Yes, they have won 3 of the last 4 SB's, but in each case they needed a last second FG to come from behind to win. While that is certainly impressive, it is NOT the definition of dominance. I would argue that the Rams were poorly coached after Vermeil left (Martz is an awful head coach) and the Carolina Panthers were an upstart team that felt lucky just being there (they still almost pulled off an upset).
The 49'ers of the 80's were a machine. They dominated a very explosive Dolphins team QB'd by Marino in his record setting year. The 60's Packers and mid-late 70's Steelers were also impressive, but neither of them dominated their opponents like the Dolphins in the early 70's.

Kolbiss said:
I am sure you guys get this question a lot, but how do you stack the 72 team up against teams like the 70's Steelers 90's Cowboys 80's niners 60's Packers, or even the modern day Pats.......Homers need not respond! ;)

Best ever, the only defense to ever shut out the opponent in the Superbowl (The Redskins scored on an interception return for a touchdown by Garo).

In fact the two year record of 32-2 in 72'/73' was the best two year record ever, and in the second superbowl the Vikings managed only 7 points. Think about a defense only giving up 7 points in back to back Superbowl wins.

The Dolphins were number one in the league in both offense and defense.

It will always be debated but only one team was perfect.

Oh, and due to strange league rules at the time the undefeated Dolphins had to travel to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game and beat that Steelers team in their house, the same Steeler team that would take over where the Dolphins left off when they declined after the WFL stripped them of Csonka. Warfield and Kiick.....two hall of famers and a hell of a gutsy player.

Namor said:
Damn,I'm old...but I've seen some great Dolphins' games.

I may be old, but I wouldn't trade getting to watch those Dolphins teams for ten years off my age, they were truly special in every way, and I seriously doubt we will ever have a team that understood the word team better than they did.

They were so intelligent and didn't make mistakes (Garo's superbowl 7 mistake aside).

Uruguay_Dolphin said:
PERFECTION Kolbiss, JUST PERFECTION

sorry 4 u and ur bills

=)

Sorry you never got to enjoy any of it.

Better than all of them and that's not being a homer. The 1972 Dolphins were the only team ever to finish first in total offense, first in total defense, first in most points scored and first in least points allowed in the same season. That's amazing. Both Csonka and Morris averaged more than 5.0 yards a carry when everyone knew they were going to run the football. Remember, the Steelers emerged after the Dolphins lost Csonka, Kiick and Warfield to the World Football League. I really believe Miami would have won a few more super bowls with those guys. It would be like the great SF teams losing Rice, Craig and Rothman or the Steelers without Swann, Harris etc. The 1972 Dolphins were the best ever, the 1973 team went 12-2 and won another super bowl. The 1971 Miami team was 10-3-1 and lost to Dallas in the super bowl. And the 1974 Dolphins without Csonka, Kiick and Warfield played one of the best playoff games ever before falling to the Raiders in Oakland 28-26. A win there and Miami probably advances to four straight super bowls. That, simply put, is an amazing dynasty.

Kolbiss said:
I am sure you guys get this question a lot, but how do you stack the 72 team up against teams like the 70's Steelers 90's Cowboys 80's niners 60's Packers, or even the modern day Pats.......Homers need not respond! ;)

I believe one of the Steelers late 70's teams was superb and is often mentioned among teh best ever. On the other hand, a perfect season has only happened once, and despite the dominance on both sides of teh ball, the Steelers did get beaten at least once. I honestly think it is very close between those 2 teams, and I don't think anyone could really prove who had the stiffer competition, which could have affected their weekly results or win loss record. So just to prove I'm not being a "homer" (you big jerk!) I will not chose because I am obviously a Fins fan and you know who I would pick. But I'll just say those 2 teams were probably the best since the AFL and NFL merge. Again, somebody may say that there is an old dominant Cleveland team or some other team from another era making it impossible to prove. I do know that these 2 teams were probably among the best ever which cannot be said for all all franchises such as Cincinatti, Arizona, Buffalo ;) , Detroit, Washington, etc.

The Patriots are a great team and I think they have really brought back the team concept and have shown that some stability is possible in the era of free agency. They have also shown that character players are extremely important to build for a longer period of winning. But honestly, I don't see any of the three superbowl teams comparable the 78 Steelers or 72 Dolphins. I would pick some 49ers teams before them I think. However, it was less of a feat to be good over a period of time in the 80's, than nowadays, I will admit.

The year they were unbeaten they were leading the league in all categories in Defense and Offense.Also they were the least penalized team.Ohhh BTW they were also unbeaten.What more does a team have to do to be considered the best team ever.?

What's sad to think about is that the WFL destroyed our chance to make it 3 in a row. If the WFL had started just one year later we would have been the only team to bag three in a row

Kolbiss said:
Miami routinely beat Pittsburgh before they're roster fell apart due to the WFL so Miami has the edge there. The packers would be close but I don't feel GB could have stopped Csonka for 4 quarters, he would have eventually wore them down. It would be a close game but I like Miami there as well. Miami would easily beat the Pats team of today. They look like a dynasty on paper but there are no truly great teams in the NFL today with free agency and salary cap. The teams I worry about are the Niners and Cowboys. Dallas would have been tough to stop with that OLine and Frisco because of their scheme and speed and a very underated defense.

I was around back then and we lost Csonka, Kiick and Warfield to the World Football League...had there been no WFL stealing our best players, the Steelers dynasty likely never would have happened. We would have won 5-6 superbowls in the 1970's.

Back
Top Bottom