72 dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

72 dolphins

adamprez2003 said:
What's sad to think about is that the WFL destroyed our chance to make it 3 in a row. If the WFL had started just one year later we would have been the only team to bag three in a row
Not entirely true. If you'll recall, Stablers miracle pass in the end zone stopped us from going for 3 in a row. The team was than ripped apart the following offseason mostly due to the WFL. The one thing I don't feel most people give the Dolphins credit for during this era was that playoff games were not given home field advantage based on regular season records but rather on a rotating system the NFL had made up. Case in point, the year they went undeafeted they actually had to play the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh which is nuts if you think about it. Miami also had to play the Stabler miracle game in Oakland despite having a better regular season record as well.

AtlantaPhin said:
Not entirely true. If you'll recall, Stablers miracle pass in the end zone stopped us from going for 3 in a row. The team was than ripped apart the following offseason mostly due to the WFL. The one thing I don't feel most people give the Dolphins credit for during this era was that playoff games were not given home field advantage based on regular season records but rather on a rotating system the NFL had made up. Case in point, the year they went undeafeted they actually had to play the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh which is nuts if you think about it. Miami also had to play the Stabler miracle game in Oakland despite having a better regular season record as well.

Actually, since the departure of Csonka, Warfield and Kiick was already signed sealed and delivered, it disrupted the team chemistry, which is the only reason the Raiders were able to pull that upset.

But....your right about the home field screw job.

The 73' was actually better than the 72' team............my opinion. better d and more consistant o

adamprez2003 said:
What's sad to think about is that the WFL destroyed our chance to make it 3 in a row. If the WFL had started just one year later we would have been the only team to bag three in a row

Nail. Head.

- BTW , No homers on a Fins website? That's like walking into church and saying " I don't want any Christians commenting on this ". What we are all going to say " Yea , 17-0 , but it wasn't as good as it might seem".

They were that good. It wasn't a fluke year , they had 5 years between 70-74 where they were dominant. That crap about the opponents winning % ? What happens to that winning % when you wax your division opponents for 2 wins?

Guys , I was there . Check the videos . They were that good. It was a time when you didn't watch the Fins , but you watched the Fins next victory. Once they had a lead , the game was over. You knew it. Not just one season , but several. THEY DIDN'T LOSE AT HOME FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS!!!!

They were O.K.

perfection ends a lot of arguments on who was best ever. the real question is what team is the second best ever.

dodge said:
perfection ends a lot of arguments on who was best ever. the real question is what team is the second best ever.
73 Dolphins.:D

When comparing teams from different eras, I think you need to compare them to their peers. For example, in today's NFL, the '72 Dolphins would be tiny and slow. But, compared to their peers, they were incredibly dominant.

Everyone knows how good the no-name defense was. Bill Stanfill was a perennial Pro Bowler. Nick Buonicounti is a HOFer. Dick Anderson and Jake Scott were the best safety tandem in the NFL. As good as they were as individuals, the unit as a whole was even better. But, people who underestimate the '72 Phins usually do so because they think of the offense as not being explosive, but consider this:

A HOF QB
A HOF FB
A RB with one of the highest avg yards per carry in league history
Another RB with Pro Bowls on his resume
6 Pro Bowl offensive linemen
2 TEs that combined to win seven Super Bowl rings
A HOF WR who was the only receiver in league history to retire averaging 20 yards per catch, and was once 5th all time in TD catches
Another WR who held most NCAA receiving records at the time

From 1970-74 Miami was 65-14-1, anyway you look at it that isn't bad! ;)

PatsSuck456 said:
Yeah that sucks :cry:. Well its better to be young than to be old.:D
True! But if any of you guys have the NFL network, you might get to see a few games from the '72 season. I saw the Super Bowl and the game against the Cleveland Browns, what a dominant team that was. Maybe not the most fun to watch (compared to modern-day Indianapolis or Atlanta) but you just never doubted they would win. I don't think the players doubted they would win either.

Did anyone notice that on ESPN Classic's "WHO'S #1? Last night they showed 25 teams and the '72 Dolphins were NOT one of them??????

How can they not show the '72 Fins as one of the best Teams?? :fire:

They freaking went 17-0!!!!

If thats not the definition of team work then I dont know what is.

nyjunc said:
I;'m not taking anything away from that dolphin team as there is no question it is an all-time great team but of all the SB Champs they had by far the easiest schedule. The AFC East was brutal, the only team over. 500 was Miami. They only played 2 teams over .500 and it was the 8-6 Chiefs and Giants.

AGAIN, I am not taking anything away but when you say they didn't have a letdown part of the reason was the incredibly weak sched.

That year they also won in the playoffs against winning teams and they even did it on the road b/c you didn't automatically get home field advantage for the best record back then.

Further it's not just one year that Miami had the best record ever. They also have the best record over any two year span and the best record over any three year span. These guys were dominant and that weak schedule argument falls apart.

The best team is not just about who had the best physical talent, it's also about mental discipline. The 1973 team was more physicaly talented than the 1972 team, but the 1972 team is the only team to ever stay focused enough over the full schedule to win every game. That's what makes them the best. I once heard an Arnsparger quote that said that the 1972 defense only made 3 mental errors all season. That's incredible to me. Most teams have more than 3 defensive lapses in a game.

TheMageGandalf said:
Did anyone notice that on ESPN Classic's "WHO'S #1? Last night they showed 25 teams and the '72 Dolphins were NOT one of them??????

How can they not show the '72 Fins as one of the best Teams?? :fire:

They freaking went 17-0!!!!

If thats not the definition of team work then I dont know what is.

It was the best teams of the 25 years of ESPN which began in 1979 so that is why they weren't on the list.

Back
Top Bottom