'85 Dolphins dodged a bullet by not making Superbowl. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'85 Dolphins dodged a bullet by not making Superbowl.

in the early 80's ,we also lost Rusty Chambers,Larry Gordon and David Overstreet to early deaths.....before free agency...you could not make up for loses like that....add in some bad drafts...well..you know how the story went..
I would say losing Arnsbarger was the biggest loss and maybe he woulda had input in the drafts as well

That was a magical night At the OB. It was second best game I ever went to but we won it. Only to the San Diego ‘81 payoff loss was better. For all you youngsters there was nothing like the OB on a Monday Night. The place was electric a bunch of the ‘72 team was there on the sidelines.
Xt year
Our seat were on the 10yr line on the closed end. it was so loud from people stomping their feet on those metal floors. Marion was at the top of his game at the time. Marion feasted on the blitz. I loved watching line play with the scopes. Dwight Stephens got a separated shoulder early. They taped him up & he went back in. With one arm he totally dominated the 340lbs Fridge Perry. I also Remember Ditka getting in Buddy Ryan’s Grille Wilbur...Marshal on Nat Moore was not a good match up for da Bears... On that Monday Night, with that home field advantage we kick the **** out of them.

The poster brought back the memory of the Dolphin OB home field. The last game we played at the OB was in the AFC title game vs the Pat’s. we moved to JRS the next year. We haven’t won **** since we moved from the Bowl. I hope we can get something going with Flow at the JRS Rock before I die I was 11 the last time we won one.

Chambers and Gordon were terrific. Gordon was so athletic / had game changing abilities and Gordon was a thumper. We tried to replace the tandem w Jackie Shipp and Jay Brophy and we whiffed huge.
That was a few years before my time. Did they get in an accident? They played linebacker?

i always think about that 51-45 jets game. We lost hugh green and we gave up boatload to get him. That was terrible.
Then one year later we lost Dwight Stevenson against jets. Those really hurt.

That was a few years before my time. Did they get in an accident? They played linebacker?

i always think about that 51-45 jets game. We lost hugh green and we gave up boatload to get him. That was terrible.
Then one year later we lost Dwight Stevenson against jets. Those really hurt.
Gordon died of a heart attack while jogging in Arizona in the offseason. I think he had a rare heart condition that went undiagnosed. Chambers died in a motor vehicle accident, as did David Overstreet (really dynamic RB). A lot of tragedy around the team at that time.

The poster brought back the memory of the Dolphin OB home field. The last game we played at the OB was in the AFC title game vs the Pat’s. we moved to JRS the next year. We haven’t won **** since we moved from the Bowl. I hope we can get something going with Flow at the JRS Rock before I die I was 11 the last time we won one.
Not true. The Dolphins played in the OB in 1986 as well. They didn’t move to JRS until 1987.

Two words. Tom Oliviadotti. That guy was horrendous. Shula was so loyal to a fault. I would be waiting for him to fire the bum, but that day never came until Jimmy arrived.
I think that was Shula's biggest mistake. Pete Carroll had interviewed with Miami, but was turned away. That could have been the type of move that turned the Dolphins defense around.

The defense was already destroyed by the time Olivadotti was put in charge (which wasn’t until 1987, btw). Marino was at his absolute prime in 1986 and the best the team can do is go 8-8.

When Marino is throwing for 450 yards and 6 TDs and losing because your defense is giving up 480 and 4 TDs to the other (non-Marino) QB, the defense is trash and the wasting of Marino has begun in earnest. I blame the person who was in charge for all of it— Shula. And based on what I know of him, he likely blamed himself too instead of passing the buck. The last ten years of his career were not the best. Should have stuck to just coaching instead of deciding to be GM as well.

And I think this thread has decisively proven that 1987 was not an auspicious year for the Dolphins (and it only got worse in ‘88).

Yeah, way to go OP, we really dodged a bullet by getting routed by an inferior New England team at home so that wouldn't happen two weeks later.

I guess you think think we've done well to dodge about 35 more bullets since then, eh? :rolleyes: :bobdole:

Yeah, way to go OP, we really dodged a bullet by getting routed by an inferior New England team at home so that wouldn't happen two weeks later.

I guess you think think we've done well to dodge about 35 more bullets since then, eh? :rolleyes: :bobdole:
Well, a better team than us got 'posterized' in front of the world while we got to pretend we were a better team than the Bears cuz we beat them on a night where every advantage was in our favor.

The defense was already destroyed by the time Olivadotti was put in charge (which wasn’t until 1987, btw). Marino was at his absolute prime in 1986 and the best the team can do is go 8-8.

When Marino is throwing for 450 yards and 6 TDs and losing because your defense is giving up 480 and 4 TDs to the other (non-Marino) QB, the defense is trash and the wasting of Marino has begun in earnest. I blame the person who was in charge for all of it— Shula. And based on what I know of him, he likely blamed himself too instead of passing the buck. The last ten years of his career were not the best. Should have stuck to just coaching instead of deciding to be GM as well.
Chuck Studley and Tom Olividatti blended together for me as if they were the same guy

I remember thinking that Miami really did not want to win that game. The Dolphins played so bad it was as if they just wanted to see the Patriots get waxed. I didn't know as much about football then but to me it looked like they tanked. I remember being harassed by my work buddies, as the resident Dolphins fan, and being embarrassed.

Sometimes teams just don't play well, I get it now.

RW

Maybe the most ridiculous proposal of all time...we were lucky to not make the Super Bowl

Back
Top Bottom