!972 Miami Dolphins named number 1 in America's Game!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

!972 Miami Dolphins named number 1 in America's Game!!

-Undefeated (something no other team has ever done)

-Won road a playoff game

-Won the majority of their games with a back-up QB

Game, set, match......nuff said (although the 75' Steelers are probably the single greatest team ever and probably the best team, but on a list thing like this the Fins have to be voted #1 for the reasons above)

Not being smart, but how can a team that's undefeated have to play a road game in the playoffs? Did they? If so, why?

good.

you know if Garo hadn't botched that fumble, it would have been the only shutout superbowl as well. the score was misleading - the game wasn't even close.

That is correct, the fins are one stupid fumble away from being the only team to pitch a shutout, but what people fail to mention when the say that the 72 Fins didn't beat anybody that season is that in the following years superbowl they were up 24-0 before the Vikings finally scored in the 4th quarter. That is 7 quarters of shutout play by the defense.

Think about it a score of 38-0(minus one freak play). The only other score came early in the 4th quarter on a run by Tarkenton. That is pretty damn impressive IMHO.

To me you can say one year is luck or whatever else they want to call it, but 2 years cannot be overlooked.

It's nice to finally see the 72 Fins get the credit they deserved. I usually dont even hear them mentioned in the list of the greatest Super Bowl teams ever.

Look..

You can beat a 1980 Ferrari with a 2007 civic si, but a Ferrari still a Ferrari. Shure the 72 Dolphins could be beaten by any team before and after the 1972, BUT in the 1972 NOBODY did. That's all there is. The BEST EVER in that year and they have the record to prove it.GO DOLPHINS!!:mad: :dolphins:

If I'm not mistaken, The Perfect 1972 MIami Dolphins are the only team in the Super Bowl era that have lead the league in Points Scored, Points Received, and also were the number 1 Offense and number 1 Defense in the same season.

I really find odd that some so called Dolphins fans question the honor the '72 team is receiving, when maybe they don't even watched them play.

If I'm not mistaken, The Perfect 1972 MIami Dolphins are the only team in the Super Bowl era that have lead the league in Points Scored, Points Received, and also were the number 1 Offense and number 1 Defense in the same season.

I was going to point out the same thing. Those stats in themsleves were amazing. That was as complete a team as there ever was in the history of the game. We all should be extremely proud to be a fan of that kind of history. We also had only 2-3 losing seasons in 30 some odd years. No other team can boast anything even close to that type of consistency. :dolphins:

72 Dolphins

The 72 Dolphins are and will always be the best team of all time. The worst they can do is be tied as the best team of all time because no team can do better than undefeated, just tie.

I love when people make comparisons like this! :lol:

Is that supposed to mean anything?
It was a completely different time.

If you're truly going to compare the 2 teams you'd have to consider the 72 players would have been much stronger and faster than they were in 72 as athletes today benefit from better training and nutritional sciences. If you accounted for the teams having equal speed and strength training who is to say which team would have won.

Hell the 85 Bears could'nt handle the 85 Dolphins let alone the 72 ones.
Thank you!

I never understood why so many debate their greatness or being the greatest team ever. They had to win the AFC championship game on the road. And then the obvious....they went undefeated which no team has ever done.

I dont care about who they played...they beat everyone. If the argument is they played a weak schedule, how many other teams in NFL history won the Super Bowl and played a weaker schedule? Probably many, but they didn't go undefeated.

So thats where the arguement gets aggravating to me. I dont see how you can debate the greatest team of all time being an undefeated one that won it all. I think this is the correct ranking. :D

good.

you know if Garo hadn't botched that fumble, it would have been the only shutout superbowl as well. the score was misleading - the game wasn't even close.

Not only that, but had they kicked the field goal, the score would have been 17-0 just like the season record, how much more perfect could it have been?
I honestly don't know how anyone could name any other team but Miami's 72 Dolphins for this #1 spot.

I really find odd that some so called Dolphins fans question the honor the '72 team is receiving, when maybe they don't even watched them play.

Miami also had 2 1000 yard+ RB's and a 500 yard+ RB in 72 and they played their backup QB most of that season because Bob Griese broke his leg early in the season.

You can beat a 1980 Ferrari with a 2007 civic si, but a Ferrari still a Ferrari. Shure the 72 Dolphins could be beaten by any team before and after the 1972, BUT in the 1972 NOBODY did. That's all there is. The BEST EVER in that year and they have the record to prove it.GO DOLPHINS!!:mad: :dolphins:
wow...I gotta get me a civic!!:D

good.

Like Don said the score would have been 17-0 with the 17-0 season.

Not only that, but had they kicked the field goal, the score would have been 17-0 just like the season record, how much more perfect could it have been?
I honestly don't know how anyone could name any other team but Miami's 72 Dolphins for this #1 spot.

:lol: I didn't read through the thread and then said the same thing. :D

Not being smart, but how can a team that's undefeated have to play a road game in the playoffs? Did they? If so, why?

Rules were different back then. They had to play Pittsburgh on the road in the playoffs

Back
Top Bottom