!972 Miami Dolphins named number 1 in America's Game!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

!972 Miami Dolphins named number 1 in America's Game!!

For their time the Phins were the best.

But if they were to play the 85 bears...as much as you guys hate to hear this. They would have gotten smashed.

:sidelol: let's leave that to the people who saw atleast one of those teams play.

the 85 bears wouldnt have scored on the dolphins defense. the final score wouldve been 3-0

Glad to hear this, that series has been surprisingly vey good.

Undefeated says it all :D
Americas game has been a great show to watch.

Awesome!! Well-deserved!! I only wish I was around to see it.

The 1985 bears are soooooo overrated.

That team was together for 4 years and they won ONE superbowl. So they dominated ONE year.

The 2006 Colts would smash those bears. All you needed was a passing attack and that bears secondary was garbage. Go max protect and pick on those safeties.

A QB, good set of recievers and a good O-Line. Then the Bears would have had to put that putrid offense on the field. All they had was a good running game..not great. There passing game consisted of a bunch of short slants, and the occasional bomb to gault.

That offense was exactly like this years Bears offense...with less scoring punch.

1972 miami dolphins will be named #1 america's game!

tomorrow at 3pm on cbs.......:dolphins: how do you beat perfect......the other team in the running the 1985 chicago bears who will finish second and was beaten by marino's dolphins in 85 .......greatest superbowl team of all time the 72 fins i love it...and if it was'nt for the world league that took zonk etc..these fins would have won 3-4 straight superbowls.:dolphins:

Players in the 70's and even the 80's were overall smaller and lighter for the most part. That's due mostly to weight training, nutrition and everything else. Back then it just wasn't prevalent among NFL players. Several players did lift but it was nothing like the current players.

Hell, I saw a clip the other night where they were talking to GB's Max McGee in the locker room after a game and he was smoking a butt during the interview. I've heard of other players smoking on the sidelines, etc.

But I'll tell you one thing the old guys did have over the recent generation and that's toughness! The '72 Dolphins had to have been the toughest SOB's to ever suit up and play the game. There was a long newspaper article just a few years ago about those guys and the pain and injuries they suffered through but they still kept on playing. I wish I could find it online again somewhere but I haven't been able to. Dave Hyde tells a lot of their stories in his book about the '72 Dolphins and a story about Kuechenberg is in my sig.

So, those previous generations of players may have been a little smaller but their toughness, determination and downright nastiness more than compensated for a few pounds they may be lacking when compared to current players.

Hell, I'd love to see a brawl with guys like Zonk, Butkus, Kuech, Nitschke and Deacon Jones versus some of these players from today. I know what the outcome of that would be....

I have been a Dolpfan since before the 72 Fins, and althought IM excited and glad that the 72 team is chosen for this honor, I dont know if I agree with it. I would put the fins in the top 5, but maybe not #1. Those Steeler teams that won 4 SBs in 6 years, and Montana and Rice 49er in 89, hard to say 72 DOlphins were any better. WE did win 2 in a row, and went to 3 in a row with that squad, so I guess you could go either way with it.

I will never understand how the 16-0 DOlphins went into that Sb as the Underdog!

Good news though!!! Thats great!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, The Perfect 1972 MIami Dolphins are the only team in the Super Bowl era that have lead the league in Points Scored, Points Received, and also were the number 1 Offense and number 1 Defense in the same season.

I really find odd that some so called Dolphins fans question the honor the '72 team is receiving, when maybe they don't even watched them play.

I wasn't even alive when the 72 Dolphins played, and you sure as hell won't find me questioning it. The most dominant team in NFL history, period. Let people hate, doesn't make a whit of difference or diminish what they did in any way :dolphins:

I have been a Dolpfan since before the 72 Fins, and althought IM excited and glad that the 72 team is chosen for this honor, I dont know if I agree with it. I would put the fins in the top 5, but maybe not #1. Those Steeler teams that won 4 SBs in 6 years, and Montana and Rice 49er in 89, hard to say 72 DOlphins were any better. WE did win 2 in a row, and went to 3 in a row with that squad, so I guess you could go either way with it.

I will never understand how the 16-0 DOlphins went into that Sb as the Underdog!

Is that true?? How can any team go unbeaten to a final and not be the favourite (unless there was a major injury!!?)

We were considered an underdog because the team with the best record did not automatically get home field advantage....we had to win the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh,,,,that's why I say the 1972 will always be the best ever.
:dolphins:

Is that true?? How can any team go unbeaten to a final and not be the favourite (unless there was a major injury!!?)

Well I remember that time.
The Redskins that year were a very popular team, with both the public and the media. Also since the Super Bowl was played in Los Angeles, George Allen the Redskins coach was the most popular coach in Los Angeles. Allen was the Rams coach from 1966 to 1970 and was extremely popular among fans in Southern California. The Rams were an awful team from 1958 through 1965. The Rams became a very good team under Allen (7-7, 12-1-1, 10-3-1, 11-3, 10-4). Allen was unfairly fired by owner Dan Reeves, which upset most Rams fans. Ironicly Reeves died prior to the 1971 season. Also Allen brought over to the Redskins some of the Rams players, including star linebacker Jack Pardee(played like Zach Thomas, except he was a better athlete).
Also the perfect Dolphins were not shown on tv all that much in Southern California in 1972. Plus the fact that the Dolphins playoff games were close, while the Redskins beat Dallas pretty soundly. Also with the perception that the NFC was stronger than the AFC, the conference difference, the playoff showings, and Allen's popularity were why the perfect Dolphins were underdogs.
Also the Super Bowl crowd was more pro-Redskins with Allen fans, and the fact that Lakers owner Jack Kent-Cook was also the primary Redskins owner.

Thank's for this guy's - it's not the sort of thing you would be able to read about easily and would probably be forgotten over the passing of time!

Back
Top Bottom