A defensive cornerstone and the steal of the draft.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A defensive cornerstone and the steal of the draft..

jonanthans

LES f**g MILES
Reaction score
Lets assume we have the 14th pick in the draft. The top Qb is, realistically, out of our reach. Yes, there are pipe dream posts of how we can package this with that along with our entire slew of pics..Not going to happen. Andrew Luck will be the #1 pick, either by Carolina or, my personal opinion, Washington will move up to get him. Carolina wants to see what Clausen can do, and will use the extra draft picks to build the rest of the team around him. But thats another item..

Me personally, the value pick in this draft, if we move up, is Patrick Peterson. PP is the best CB to come out of the draft since Champ Bailey. Not a good corner like Revis, who still needs the safety help over the top, but the great corner, like Bailey, who can literally shut down the opposing teams #1 WR all by himself. He has the speed, the cover skills and the physical presence to be the premiere CB in this league for the next decade.

The trade partner for us to target is Detroit at the #5 spot. With Luck going #1, the next 3 spots are going to be fielding offers to move up for the remaining 2 Qb prospects that are coming off huge Bowl game wins: Ryan Mallett, who will be facing an Ohio State squad that could be missing 5 defensive starters due to recent events, and Cam Newton, who will likely pass for 200 and rush for 200 against an overmatched/undersized Oregon defensive unit. Arizona and Minnesota will likely be the two teams making the biggest push to aquire these 2 players, neither of whom I believe are going to be franchise Qbs in this league. Ryan Mallett has the arm but also has the Ryan Leaf feel to him, and Cam Newton has excelled in a one-read offensive scheme that will never work in the NFL.

just sayin...

PP will be as sought after as any of the QB's shy of the number 1 pick, if A.Luck stays in school then PP will more then likely be the 1st pick.

Detroit's big weakness on defense is CB and S, PP would make that defense solid if not better especially with Suh killing the Oline. Let's then factor in the Detroit coach is a defensive guy he would be sprinting up to hand in that card!

If Luck is Pipe Dream 1., Peterson is Pipe Dream 1a.

I love the idea of adding more dynamic talent to the D with our 1st RD pick. TSlimm mentioned J. Houston in passing a while back. He reminds me of a bigger J. Harrison. There's a strength and suddenness to his game that really grabs your attention. Most draft sites I'm seeing are just now starting to put him in or around the 1st RD, but I'd be happy adding a force like that. I'm very high on Misi, by the way. I think Misi could also play inside and might eventually be best suited for that spot, but it's just one of those things where you don't pass on D. Bryant just because you have M. Austin - not that Misi is Austin caliber.

If we go defense in the first round it better be because we traded back to down to pick up a 2nd round pick and we use our low first on Mark Herzlich. Assuming he checks out from his bout with cancer, I want that kid on our team, period.

I agree that Patrick Peterson is a pretty rare CB prospect physically and though his play at times in college hasn't lived up to its billing, he should be a fine pro, a cornerstone of a defense as you say...and perhaps a good return guy as well. At whatever spot we pick you would have to strongly consider the guy just from a pure talent standpoint.

I was never, ever one of the people to think Sean Smith could or should move to safety...but he's surprised me with his ability to move fairly seamlessly into that dime CB/S role that they have him playing. My basis for not moving him to Safety was, for one thing he's not a good enough tackler, and for another he's a young player only having played defense for something like 3 years, and at safety you need instincts in order to survive. I should never have underestimated his ability to work hard and get better at tackling, I figured he would get better at tackling but I didn't think he would make this big a turnaround in his tackling in one year, and I also should not have underestimated his brain and ability to process the field, read and react quickly with those eyes of his, and play like an instinctive player even though he's only in his 4th year playing defense.

So perhaps he might have a future at Free Safety. He's got the physical ability to play it, and his ability to play underneath and play man coverage would be invaluable, that kind of versatility. Who knows? I can't scratch the cornerback position completely off the board because he's versatile enough to get on the field anywhere. And at the same time, Vontae Davis has not taken the next step that we hoped and that he flashed at the beginning of the season. He needs to get a LOT better. He's kind of an average starting corner right now, which is admittedly a tremendous improvement from where he was a year ago.

At the end of the day I think Peterson will drop somewhat, not unlike Malcolm Jenkins did.

Prince Amukamara will test better and be seen as the better pure CB before this is all through, imo.

i think if patrick peterson was to fall it would be because i wonder about his straight line speed...i don't think 4.4 flat is in the cards...i'd still take him in a nanosecond however if i had the chance...

dallas should be all over this guy...i can see detroit also

i think if patrick peterson was to fall it would be because i wonder about his straight line speed...i don't think 4.4 flat is in the cards...i'd still take him in a nanosecond however if i had the chance...

dallas should be all over this guy...move up to secure him whatevers necessary...

Yeah, I agree. I love Peterson -- he can play for me anytime -- I've just seen this movie before.

Yeah, I agree. I love Peterson -- he can play for me anytime -- I've just seen this movie before.

what do you mean??? i've never seen size like that that can play cb with such good feet and hips and be such a forceful and sure tackler...he's vontae on steroids...but i bet he's in the 4.47 range speed wise

top 5 bpa

At the end of the day I think Peterson will drop somewhat, not unlike Malcolm Jenkins did.

Prince Amurakara will test better and be seen as the better pure CB before this is all through, imo.

Actually I could definitely see Amukamara being higher on some team's draft boards than Peterson... there's going to be some questions reguarding the stiffness in Peterson's hips...

However, I simply can't go there... After watching Amukamara get absolutely rung up by Justin Blackmon... when the ball is 50/50 in the air, I see some issues with Amukamara...

..susceptible to get caught looking in the backfield and bite on double moves...

Peterson's long speed is going to be fine...

I think both are great prospects, but I think Amukamara might be best served in a zone scheme where he can plant and jump routes, and work within 15 yards or so of the LOS to support the run..

what do you mean??? i've never seen size like that that can play cb with such good feet and hips and be such a forceful and sure tackler...he's vontae on steroids...but i bet he's in the 4.47 range speed wise

top 5 bpa

A lot will depend on how they test. Peterson's hips (and it's not like they're really stiff or anything, just somewhat stiffer than you usually see in a top CB prospect) will give people pause, because at the next level that kind of thing can and will be exposed.

But if he blows the doors off his 40 and his agility drills he'll certainly be the pick over Amukamara. At the end of the day, though, I'd expect Prince to run close to 4.4 flat or even inch into the high 4.3s and test better in everything than Peterson. And it's not like he's small and shy, either, at 6'1 and 200+ pounds.

Now don't get me wrong. I love Peterson, and I think that a lot of times when you go fishing for a guy who's slightly better physically over the guy who's a better football player you end up getting burned. Most of the time, actually. But guys like Amukamara really tend to rise through the process more than guys like Peterson. It's just the nature of the beast.

A lot will depend on how they test. Peterson's hips (and it's not like they're really stiff or anything, just somewhat stiffer than you usually see in a top CB prospect) will give people pause, because at the next level that kind of thing can and will be exposed.

But if he blows the doors off his 40 and his agility drills he'll certainly be the pick over Amukamara. At the end of the day, though, I'd expect Prince to run close to 4.4 flat or even inch into the high 4.3s and test better in everything than Peterson. And it's not like he's small and shy, either, at 6'1 and 200+ pounds.

Now don't get me wrong. I love Peterson, and I think that a lot of times when you go fishing for a guy who's slightly better physically over the guy who's a better football player you end up getting burned. Most of the time, actually. But guys like Amukamara really tend to rise through the process more than guys like Peterson. It's just the nature of the beast.

i can go along with that...i think its natural though to see a guy that size and with that physicality and say that he's gonna have stiff hips...not really sure i've seen any evidence of it though...

we'll see how smooth he is transition wise at the combine...

Back
Top Bottom