A defensive cornerstone and the steal of the draft.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A defensive cornerstone and the steal of the draft..

Just my thought, if Mallet and Locker make it to the 14-18 area, they will still be there around the 24-32 area. As the teams drafting in those spots have legit starting QB's. I'd rather move back and get that second rounder back.

If we took Locker in the 1st round, we're screwed for a long time because then we'd be tempted to actually play him.

That would be bad news. I've never seen a higher ranked QB I've been down on from the beginning more than Jake Locker. I can honestly say I've never seen it with that guy.

At the end of the day I think Peterson will drop somewhat, not unlike Malcolm Jenkins did.

Prince Amukamara will test better and be seen as the better pure CB before this is all through, imo.

Prince Amukamara is the next Charles Woodson. They're very similar.

I love Patrick Peterson, but the fact of the matter is there are at least 3 cover corners in college football who will be coming out this year that are playing better than him this season ( Prince, Harris, Jenkins).

Amukamara got hit up pretty bad by someone other than Blackmon, trying to remember who....think it might have been Kearse of Washington. Same thing, peeking into the backfield.

At the end of the day I think Peterson will drop somewhat, not unlike Malcolm Jenkins did.

Prince Amukamara will test better and be seen as the better pure CB before this is all through, imo.

I agree 100%. Prince will test better and will go higher (at least 10 spots). And there is a good chance that Detroit will be looking to take a corner anyway, I doubt they would trade back.

The problem with that is that other than OL, the other bad need the lions have is corner. I just about guarantee they are trying to find a way to get him.

I agree 100%. Prince will test better and will go higher (at least 10 spots). And there is a good chance that Detroit will be looking to take a corner anyway, I doubt they would trade back.

I'd put $500 against this - as long as there is an injuries don't count clause.

If we move up for anything but Offense I'd be beyond upset. If it's all the way in the top 5 in has to be QB. I could live with Green at WR but not at 5 (maybe 8-10) as there are a couple other WR's that will be around later in the first round without us needing to move. I realize Peterson is a great player, but if we give up picks and players to move up it had better be to improve our 31st ranked offense and NOT our 4th ranked defense.

I have heard a few people say that Peterson will end up playing safety at the next level

i have to say i've backed off my we need a boundary cb stance of late...sean smiths play has me moving him out of the must replace category and into the solid player one...still not in love with him on the boundary but his versatility is a real strength and i think his game as a whole has stepped up this season

but if i had a chance to get patrick peterson despite vontae and smith and carroll i would not hesitate unless it was for a much needed qb...i will say also though that nolan carroll as a boundary corner to me looks like he might be a player...i see some real potential there

now if we can get the nickle/slot cb fixed for the long term

As much as i like PP and think another studd in the secondary could put this defense at an elite level i dont see us moving up in the draft without a second rd pick.

i have to say i've backed off my we need a boundary cb stance of late...sean smiths play has me moving him out of the must replace category and into the solid player one...still not in love with him on the boundary but his versatility is a real strength and i think his game as a whole has stepped up this season

but if i had a chance to get patrick peterson despite vontae and smith and carroll i would not hesitate unless it was for a much needed qb...i will say also though that nolan carroll as a boundary corner to me looks like he might be a player...i see some real potential there

now if we can get the nickle/slot cb fixed for the long term

I agree. Whether I'm a Sean Smith lover or not, Patrick Peterson is Patrick Peterson. Prince Amukamara is Prince Amukamara. You'd be lucky to be fielding guys like that. All depends on who else is available. You don't shun sure talents in favor of a guy you're not sure about just because of the position situation.

Between Vontae Davis, Nolan Carroll, both of whom have ideal quickness...and Sean Smith's shocking ability to come down into the slot as an underneath nickel/dime slot corner...plus Will Allen's and Benny Sapp's return...I would feel pretty confident that we have the slot CB position taken care of in both the present and future. Once Vontae's got his head screwed on straight, you can start moving him in the slot more where he should be a natural. That doesn't mean you have to have him be the only guy that plays the slot, between Smith and Carroll and Davis I think there's versatility.

i don't think will allen will return to us...i think he's out...and i think that i'm ok with it...have to assume that these young corners will continue to get better next year and i've seen enough to say that we could use will allen money better elsewhere this offseason and in the future

I believe Allen is gone also and Smith has played really well in the nickel safety/slot position he will catch a few of those int's sooner or later and
maybe jones takes over the fs and gets us some int's also.

Back
Top Bottom