A different (positive) spin on what has recently unfolded | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A different (positive) spin on what has recently unfolded

67Stang

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Was kind of thinking about everything that has transpired since the Tunsil trade. If you look at it we gained, 3 first rounders, a second rounder, and a couple of players. We got 2 players out of the 2017 and 2018 drafts that many had us selecting, and many wanted here anyways. We lost Stills and kind of lost a late 2nd rounder (but gained one in the Saints trade down when we got Rosen later in the 2nd). Stills to me was no big loss because the OL is not giving the QB time to hit Stills deep anyways.

In essence, we still got 2 #1's from the last few drafts and picked up a slew of top picks and future cap space. Trying to find anything I can positive right now LOL.

Well, I keep saying if Miami drafts a franchise quarterback everything else will fall into place. I think that's sort of true. Next offseason is about the quarterback and building the offensive line.

Perhaps Miami can find two starting offensive linemen in free agency. If they can, it would be nice to land one of the top receivers on that first round range.

Anyone saying anything negative about what has transpired lately is most likely just beaten down for the many years this team has been stuck in either mediocrity or absolute sucking. And that is totally understandable. However, if you look at this objectively, what they are doing is exactly what they should be doing, and any other view is just either being a hater, or completely naive. The Fins are loaded with picks and cap space after this year. Now, what they do with it will be the determining factor. Fact is the Fins were not winning anything this year. They have new QBs, and a slew of new players in addition to a new coaching staff and system. So my question to all the negative babies out there is: What should they have done? It's time to nut up, get through this year, then, and only then will there be any actual clarity in where this team is going in the future.

Anyone saying anything negative about what has transpired lately is most likely just beaten down for the many years this team has been stuck in either mediocrity or absolute sucking. And that is totally understandable. However, if you look at this objectively, what they are doing is exactly what they should be doing, and any other view is just either being a hater, or completely naive. The Fins are loaded with picks and cap space after this year. Now, what they do with it will be the determining factor. Fact is the Fins were not winning anything this year. They have new QBs, and a slew of new players in addition to a new coaching staff and system. So my question to all the negative babies out there is: What should they have done? It's time to nut up, get through this year, then, and only then will there be any actual clarity in where this team is going in the future.

It is fine to support the tank, which I do, but to support everything that this staff does blindly on faith that they will tank and then rebound correctly is the epitome of naivete.

It is fine to support the tank, which I do, but to support everything that this staff does blindly on faith that they will tank and then rebound correctly is the epitome of naivete.
I'm not suggesting they are tanking. As a matter of fact, I can't stand that term. It's pretty lame. Nor do I say support everything they do. What they do remains to be seen and will be judged accordingly. What I was saying is what they have done recently with the acquisition of draft picks for those who didn't want to be here or that garnered a huge haul, is the right thing. And that certainly doesn't give them a free pass from here on out. They need to continue to build and prove they can make the right moves heading into the future.

Well, I keep saying if Miami drafts a franchise quarterback everything else will fall into place. I think that's sort of true. Next offseason is about the quarterback and building the offensive line.

Perhaps Miami can find two starting offensive linemen in free agency. If they can, it would be nice to land one of the top receivers on that first round range.
When was the last first round WR that did anything for us.

When was the last first round WR that did anything for us.
Comparing the possibility of failure for a current FO drafting a WR vs how the failed results were for a previous FO drafting that same position is just idiotic and short minded.

The most positive spin I can think of is Josh Rosen running this offense somewhere in the vicinity of TB12's zip code and putting up 3000+ yards 25-30 TDs and a QBR north of 95 over the rest of the season, leaving the Miami Dolphins the opportunity to offer a blockbuster trade out of whichever of their 1st rounders may end up the highest for someone else to draft a top QB prospect next year.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Comparing the possibility of failure for a current FO drafting a WR vs how the failed results were for a previous FO drafting that same position is just idiotic and short minded.
I would agree with that, as a basic statement, but we have too many other needs to spend a rd1 on a wideout. WRs and RBs need to be generational talents to be taken in the top half of the first round, Very good players, with high ceilings, can be found on day two. I feel the same way about the gaurd position.

Obviously, unless Rosen proves to Flores that he's "the guy" that he's willing to hitch his wagon to, our first pick is QB.

After that, we need pass rusher, corner, and O-line before we start thinking about offensive skill positions.

It feels like there's a good number of people on here who are taking the positive spin on everything going on.

While I don't feel like this was the ONLY route available, it's certainly A way to get better. I'm not a huge fan of this way, but yeah, after 20 years, who am I to complain.

I do think one thing you have to consider here is that we unfortunately have been stuck in the AFC East during this historic run by the Patriots, which is unprecedented in the NFL. Stick us in most other divisions and we would have had at least a few more playoff runs in us during the last 20 years.

This front office continues to surprise me with what it does, but I'm hopeful they are getting it right and obviously excited about the future.

What's happening this year is we got tired of being middle of the pack by doing the same thing over and over every year. So this year we decided to blow it up and start from the bottom up with tons of cash and picks. This might work or it might not work but we needed to do something different.

It feels like there's a good number of people on here who are taking the positive spin on everything going on.

While I don't feel like this was the ONLY route available, it's certainly A way to get better. I'm not a huge fan of this way, but yeah, after 20 years, who am I to complain.

I do think one thing you have to consider here is that we unfortunately have been stuck in the AFC East during this historic run by the Patriots, which is unprecedented in the NFL. Stick us in most other divisions and we would have had at least a few more playoff runs in us during the last 20 years.

This front office continues to surprise me with what it does, but I'm hopeful they are getting it right and obviously excited about the future.
To your first point, some ppl are just, by nature, more optimistic than others, and prefer to see the best case, rather than impending doom.

I agree there is more than one way to "skin a cat", as they say (am I the only one that finds that expression odd?). Given the circumstances with bad contracts, lack of draft capital, and entirely new systems being installed, this was seen by many as the most expedient course.

I don't think you can make much of a case for playing in the AFC east holding us back. Yes, the Pats have made it difficult to win the division, but, by the same token, playing the consistently woeful Bills and Jests twice a year should have given us an inside track to a few wildcard births.

As far as the staff "getting it right"? That is the big question isn't it? I'm gaurdedly hopeful, and although I dont necessarily agree with every move, I do think it is a solid plan, with the way we efficiently shed bad contracts, getting our cap situation in very good shape going forward, while accumulating a staggering amount of draft capital along the way. Whether you agree with the plan or not, one has to admit, so far they have executed that plan effectively.

I guess I forgot to add the ????? Marks to the end of my sentence

I would agree with that, as a basic statement, but we have too many other needs to spend a rd1 on a wideout. WRs and RBs need to be generational talents to be taken in the top half of the first round, Very good players, with high ceilings, can be found on day two. I feel the same way about the gaurd position.

Obviously, unless Rosen proves to Flores that he's "the guy" that he's willing to hitch his wagon to, our first pick is QB.

After that, we need pass rusher, corner, and O-line before we start thinking about offensive skill positions.

Good post but for me -- first position I started in football (albeit like 10 years old) was G and IMO

really superior inside play (which has been for the most part lost in the "modern game") is

THE BALLS! I love C and G action (nothing naughty) and SOS -- win up front and win the game!

That said, there are fewer and fewer stud Gs in college -- and that makes your point relative

but if there's a certified dominator (would love me some Hog Hannah) then late R1-R2 is OK by me.

The BEEF up front just makes you TUFF in every game...

Would also love me some Dwight Stephenson.

:)

Back
Top Bottom