A Look at the Defense at this point in Free Agency | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Look at the Defense at this point in Free Agency

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough.

Maybe Van Ginkel really wanted leave. Otherwise, it's hard to get behind Barrett essentially for Van Ginkel. In other words, I can't see Miami deciding to do that. But it's a great pivot if that's the case.

I think the linebacking group should be better against the run.

Fuller was a surprise at a really good salary considering his production. That likely takes corner off the draft lift.

Lots of bodies at DT, but still have to believe Miami will spend a high pick there.

I know you didn't highlight offense, but the offensive line needs a lot if help.

Wonder if they only offered AVG a 1 year deal like Barrett again as cover for Chubb & JP regards injury recovery and he wanted more security so opted for the 2/20 mill?
10 mill is a lot to spend on a 3rd option pass rusher if Chubb & JP both come back healthy for not only this season but the next.
As some else mentioned no surprise if they drafted another edge, both as cover for this season and if they show a lot of promise gives the option if Chubb continues to be injured of cutting him to save cap space later.

Wonder if they only offered AVG a 1 year deal like Barrett again as cover for Chubb & JP regards injury recovery and he wanted more security so opted for the 2/20 mill?
10 mill is a lot to spend on a 3rd option pass rusher if Chubb & JP both come back healthy for not only this season but the next.
As some else mentioned no surprise if they drafted another edge, both as cover for this season and if they show a lot of promise gives the option if Chubb continues to be injured of cutting him to save cap space later.
Spot on. That makes totally sense.

IMO Benito Jones will be an upgrade over Davis. I think he's just a better fit. I don't think he's a better pass rusher than Davis, but he's better at handling double teams and is more stout against the the run. His presence will free up the LBs to make more plays.

That’s definitely the hope. There is still an open competition for the spot that Wilkins left. But, with improved coverage on the back end buying more time for the pass rush to get there, and with fresher bodies through increased rotation, the hope is we will still be able to generate good pressure on the QBs. Also, Fangs didn’t blitz as much is Weaver is likely too this year, so there’s also that.
An excellent point to consider.

I am starting to lean towards drafting an edge rusher with one of our first 2 draft picks instead of a DT since we are deeper at the DT position and we will be without Phillips for at least half the season and probably more than that with Chubb.

Use one of our mid to late round draft picks on a DT and have them compete to see if they can make the roster over one of our current vets.

LB corps is upgraded but I would still look to add another LB in the draft or FA to see if they can make the roster over Duke Riley.

I would look to add another DB in the draft or FA, maybe we could get TreDavious White on the cheap after June 1

The Safety position is a little thin especially when you consider Poyer's age. We should draft or add another Safety in FA.

Will there that leave any of our higher draft picks left for the offense?

Depends on how the competition for the spot opposite Sieler plays out. I could also see us bringing another player either through the draft and or another free agent that is not on the roster yet. Having said that, I think you are too pessimistic regarding our front 7, I think we’ll be fine.
Talking about the trenches on both sides.

IMO Benito Jones will be an upgrade over Davis. I think he's just a better fit. I don't think he's a better pass rusher than Davis, but he's better at handling double teams and is more stout against the the run. His presence will free up the LBs to make more plays.
On that note, do you think Miami is done at DT? Or do you think they'll look for an upgrade in the draft?

Will there that leave any of our higher draft picks left for the offense?
I think one of our top 2 picks will be on the OL and the other will address the Defense.

I think we will add another WR in Free Agency. KJ Osborn is a player I like who would be a good fit as a WR3.

Ah, this thread was really just focused on the defense. It’s too early to make a judgement on the offense as that work is still left to do.
"Everything will be fine" / "Too early to judge".

Whatever you say my friend.

The biggest thing with our defense is going to be when Phillips and Chubb return and how explosive they will be afterwards. The rest seems to be set, on paper.
Right. I also wonder if pass rush could be in the equation early in the draft? Starting the season without both Phillips and Chubb, if that is the reality, is a big concern.

Of course Murphy at DT, if he's at 21, does give you pass rush in the middle. Maybe that's a possibility. Verse, Turner if available. Which doesn't seem likely.

1) Secondary: Should be improved just for health related reasons. Losing Elliott sucks at safety but we got Poyer for peanuts so I'm okay with it. Fuller and a day 1 healthy Ramsey are an improvement over an injured X and injured Ramsey.

2) Linebacker: Depth should be better. Going from Baker to Brooks feels like a bit of a lateral move but we save a few bucks against the cap. Walker adds depth that was missing last year.

3) D-Line: Barrett vs. Ginkel was probably the toughest move of the offseason to judge. I would have resigned Ginkel instead. Losing Wilkins stinks but we didn't have a choice at that contract. Still need to address the D-linen through the draft cause despite all of our recent signings we really don't have much talent along the front. Really need Chubb and Phillips to make a rapid recovery.
Brooks is a pretty significant upgrade in coverage and has surprising range in coverage.

"Everything will be fine" / "Too early to judge".

Whatever you say my friend.
If you can answer who the starting left and right guards will be come September than I think you can make that judgement.

So I ask you, who will be the starting left and right guards in September? Are those players on the roster? We have two players in Eichenberg who will have to take a leap forward, and Robert Jones, but there is no doubt that there will be competition brought in to compete with them, both likely from the draft and free agency. I myself like to wait until I have all of the information before I make an analysis and a judgement, but that’s just the way I like to party… But feel free to engage in reckless speculation my friend ;)

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough.

Maybe Van Ginkel really wanted leave. Otherwise, it's hard to get behind Barrett essentially for Van Ginkel. In other words, I can't see Miami deciding to do that. But it's a great pivot if that's the case.

I think the linebacking group should be better against the run.

Fuller was a surprise at a really good salary considering his production. That likely takes corner off the draft list.

Lots of bodies at DT, but still have to believe Miami will spend a high pick there.

I know you didn't highlight offense, but the offensive line needs a lot of help.
I’ll do one on the offense after the draft.

I don’t get why everyone thinks the Barrett and Van Ginkle money are the same.
Do you know how much guaranteed money Van Ginkel got in his contract?

Back
Top Bottom