A Look at the Defense at this point in Free Agency | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Look at the Defense at this point in Free Agency

Right. I also wonder if pass rush could be in the equation early in the draft? Starting the season without both Phillips and Chubb, if that is the reality, is a big concern.

Of course Murphy at DT, if he's at 21, does give you pass rush in the middle. Maybe that's a possibility. Verse, Turner if available. Which doesn't seem likely.
My ideal selection at 21 would be Verse. Not only does he fill an immediate need but potentially a long term need if we can't re-sign Phillips next year.

We could still select an interior O-lineman capable of starting immediately in round two.

I just saw that Aaron Donald is retiring so Murphy to the Rams at 19 seems likely.

3rd CB and DT are the biggest and glearing needs.

One point I would make with more rotation it appears comes because of the new DC Weaver, be interesting if Sieler has more of an effect especially in pass rush as he will be fresher.

I think our defense is better on paper than it was last year. Part of that is obviously the scheme; it seems like our roster fits what Weaver wants to do whereas it never seemed like it fit Fangio’s scheme.
I believe the odds are that Weaver will be a better DC in Miami than Fangio was. Baltimore has had a good defense for a while now, so I'm hoping that Weaver will have an idea as to how to build something similar in Miami. IMO, Fangio sucked. Yes, I know that many here thought he did a good job because they shut out KC in the second half, for example, but I disagree. KC did poorly on offense against a bunch of teams; Miami's defense was nothing special. Against Baltimore for example, Boyer's defense with less talent did a better job against Lamar Jackson then Fangio's defense did with more talent.

IOW, if Weaver brings the toughness of the Ravens defense to Miami and is a decent coach (playcalls, schemes, etc.), then Miami could end up with a decent defense in 2024 that will get even better when some players get healthy, and more talent is added. And, while that previous "Amoeba Cover 0" Defense didn't work every time, when used at the right time it was effective and fun to watch, much more so than Fangio's boring "Bend But Don't Break" prevent defense. According to the stats, Boyer's defense gave up 399 points and was ranked #24, and Fangio's defense gave up 391 points and was ranked #22. The stats are basically similar, but the difference is that Miami beat some good teams in 2022 and lost to the good teams in 2023.

I for one would love to see Miami with a physical defense!

If you can answer who the starting left and right guards will be come September than I think you can make that judgement.

So I ask you, who will be the starting left and right guards in September? Are those players on the roster? We have two players in Eichenberg who will have to take a leap forward, and Robert Jones, but there is no doubt that there will be competition brought in to compete with them, both likely from the draft and free agency. I myself like to wait until I have all of the information before I make an analysis and a judgement, but that’s just the way I like to party… But feel free to engage in reckless speculation my friend ;)
I'm calling a spade a spade. Only speculation is on your side my friend.

I'm calling a spade a spade. Only speculation is on your side my friend.
I have made a detailed assessment of the defense, and IMHO, we will be fine next year. I give you lots of reasons why I believe that. As for the offensive line, I refuse to speculate until I have more information, whereas you have arrived at your conclusion on the Oline before you even have a good idea as to who will be starting at right and left guard in September, and you’ve given no facts, or detailed analysis to support your position as to why you think our defense isn’t going to be good, or why our defensive line is going to be, what, soft?

You can call something a spade, all I ask, is if you are going to say that, tell me why?

I have made a detailed assessment of the defense, and IMHO, we will be fine next year. I give you lots of reasons why I believe that. As for the offensive line, I refuse to speculate until I have more information, whereas you have arrived at your conclusion on the Oline before you even have a good idea as to who will be starting at right and left guard in September, and you’ve given no facts, or detailed analysis to support your position as to why you think our defense isn’t going to be good, or why our defensive line is going to be, what, soft?

You can call something a spade, all I ask, is if you are going to say that, tell me why?
Talent, there is your detailed assessment haha

My ideal selection at 21 would be Verse. Not only does he fill an immediate need but potentially a long term need if we can't re-sign Phillips next year.

We could still select an interior O-lineman capable of starting immediately in round two.

I just saw that Aaron Donald is retiring so Murphy to the Rams at 19 seems likely.
Absolutely. Verse would be a smart pick if he gets there.

Teams are likely to go heavy pass against Miami until Phillips and Chubb get back. Probably with a lot of success.

So you think we’re all good on the Oline? Needham, Kohou, cam smith, and Bonner will compete for the 3rd corner spot, do you not not like any of those players?

Was just talking about the defense which I why I only commented on the defense.

Absolutely. Verse would be a smart pick if he gets there.

Teams are likely to go heavy pass against Miami until Phillips and Chubb get back. Probably with a lot of success.

Kinda early to be predicting what teams wil do against Miami and their success rate. No?

While you at what will be the records of teams next season?

Back
Top Bottom