A Look at the Defense at this point in Free Agency | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Look at the Defense at this point in Free Agency

Was just talking about the defense which I why I only commented on the defense.
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Still, do you not like any of our other cornerbacks after Fuller and Ramsay? Or are you saying you would feel better with another upgrade there too?

Good post.

I actually like Barrett better than Van Ginkel. I also have a sneaky suspicion we’re going to draft an edge with one of their top two picks.

Safety is the most interesting position group for me now. Poyer on paper is a lot better than Elliott and Jones if he’s not washed up. I think we need a third quality safety so very interested to see who that will be. Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Quandre Diggs, Micah Hyde are all super interesting names who might come cheap.
Van Ginkle is a better football player at this stage in their careers than Barrett. No two ways about it. This is a position of dyer need. He can come off the edge and he's always around the ball and has a knack for making big plays. Block punt, Pick six, whatever. This is the one loss I can't understand. I'll drink the coolaid for the other moves. Not this one.

Some were asleep the day the averages were covered in remedial Jr High math.

/s

Or because if Barrett ends up being a good signing who produces, they are the same and we have to make a tough decision again the following season.

But if Barrett gets hurt again or puts up similar numbers to those he did the past few seasons ... it was a good, low cost signing?

Lemme know when this starts making sense ...

Kinda early to be predicting what teams wil do against Miami and their success rate. No?

While you at what will be the records of teams next season?
Maybe. We don't know how many games Chubb and Phillips will miss. Some have speculated nearly half the season. Obviously, we're all hoping for a better result than that.

If it's a couple of games, maybe there isn't much concern.

But who does Miami currently have that can pressure the quarterback? Barrett was a nice addition, ideally as your third pass rusher. Seiler gives you some. It's pretty sketchy.

Excellent thoughtful summary

I'd be very surprised if the run defense isn't worse. That's my only quibble. Throughout 2023 I looked at those numbers and matter of factly assigned 2024 as regression in run defense. I would stick to that regardless of personnel or coaching.

There's nothing to suggest we deserve or can sustain top 5 in yards per carry allowed.

And I'm surprised that Benito Jones is assumed as Raekwon's replacement. He's not good enough to pencil in, IMO. A Ravens import will have high standards at those positions.

Good post.

I actually like Barrett better than Van Ginkel. I also have a sneaky suspicion we’re going to draft an edge with one of their top two picks.

Safety is the most interesting position group for me now. Poyer on paper is a lot better than Elliott and Jones if he’s not washed up. I think we need a third quality safety so very interested to see who that will be. Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Quandre Diggs, Micah Hyde are all super interesting names who might come cheap.
Fingers crossed for Quandre Diggs. If you go and watch the Seahawks defense last season to look at Jordyn Brooks, Diggs is all over the place.

We did fine in the 2nd and 3rd level on D for the acquisitions side.

The trenches is where we'll be exposed next season, and we weren't a very physical team to begin with.
That’s fair. That’s why this draft is so vital. We need to focus on the trenches, and it’s the perfect draft (talent-wise) to do it.

Absolutely convinced Weaver had his hands in our FA gets.
I have been thinking lately that the hiring of Weaver was largely done in mind that Wilkins would be leaving, Knowing how Balt was able to form a tough IDL with mid to late-round picks and UDFAs and that Weaver had a hand of course in coaching them up. Knowing we'd likely be taking that approach for the next few seasons at least, it is good to have a DC who was successful with it before. Weaver retained Austin Clark as lead DL coach, when every other defensive position coach was replaced or moved to another job with the defense, and the new Asst DL coach, Kynjee Cotton, coming from LSU gives us an extra insight into their 3 prospects who are all likely to go from the late 2nd to the 5th rounds. Maason Smith has an average overall rank of 76.6, Mekhi Wingo, 90.1, and Jordan Jefferson, 190. I'll be surprised if we don't take one of those guys.

Great summation...

I've got one minor quibble and an observation.

I'd list Neal as a safety... not that it matters a great deal. He's a pure special teams guy.

The observation is that with the Fuller signing, I think we might be done, and that includes the draft.
I think we'll carry 6 CBs this year, and our top 6 looks pretty tight.
Ramsey and Fuller to start on the boundaries. Kohou and Needham to fight over the slot, and 2 second year players for depth.
I suppose that Needham could be on the bubble, but I REALLY don't think we'd expose Bonner to poaching. We signed him to a nice UDFA bonus last year because we believed he was a worthwhile project, then actually gave him snaps. Heck... he might be in play for return snaps; he's fast enough.

Yeah, I guess if the top CB on our board slipped down to us, we might bite... but I doubt it. I think our CB roster is done early.
Throughout his career, when Neal has played defense, the vast majority of snaps have been at SCB. He's played 567 defensive snaps in his career, although most were from 2019 through 2021.

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough.

Maybe Van Ginkel really wanted leave. Otherwise, it's hard to get behind Barrett essentially for Van Ginkel. In other words, I can't see Miami deciding to do that. But it's a great pivot if that's the case.

I think the linebacking group should be better against the run.

Fuller was a surprise at a really good salary considering his production. That likely takes corner off the draft list.

Lots of bodies at DT, but still have to believe Miami will spend a high pick there.

I know you didn't highlight offense, but the offensive line needs a lot of help.
I agree. If we take an IDL and an OG, 21st and 55th, that would pretty well cover the remaining holes. And double up at those spots with 3rd day picks. But more signings in free agency could change that and I very much doubt we are done.

IMO Benito Jones will be an upgrade over Davis. I think he's just a better fit. I don't think he's a better pass rusher than Davis, but he's better at handling double teams and is more stout against the the run. His presence will free up the LBs to make more plays.
Jones had terrible PFF grades but I'm not so sure that means a lot. He was the starting NT in 15 of 17 games played last season on a defense that allowed 3.7 yards per carry. He played 52% of their snaps. 567 total. It's the sort of workload one would see from an NT who plays on running-downs and comes out on passing-downs. The Dolphins' defense last season allowed 3.8 per carry. I don't think you can be that effective against the run if your NT is getting blown off the ball. In their description of Jones before the 2020 draft, Ourlads Scouting Service said about him "He often gets overlooked when it comes to accolades and awards. He does a lot of dirty work that elevates players around him, but rarely gets his name called when outsiders discuss impact players. Coaches and scouts will see just how good of an every-down force he is, and can be."
He has been durable and reliable. NTs often take a few seasons to fully realize their potential too. As you probably recall, Paul Soliai did not fully develop till his 3rd or 4th season.
The veteran IDL who could be very key IMO, is Hand. He has starting ability in the NFL and has only been hindered by a string of injuries every season from 2019 through 2022. He played in 16 games last season, though not a heavy snap count. But at least we can be pretty sure he is fully healthy again. If Hand, Jones, and Sieler are the DL, I think they could be effective enough for Brooks and Long to rack up a lot of tackles.

Brooks is a pretty significant upgrade in coverage and has surprising range in coverage.
IMO, some people are seriously underrating how good Jordyn Brooks is. He is better than Baker has ever been in every facet of LB play. If I had my choice of Brooks or Queen for the same money, I'd take Brooks. I expect him to wear the green dot and never leave the field.

My ideal selection at 21 would be Verse. Not only does he fill an immediate need but potentially a long term need if we can't re-sign Phillips next year.

We could still select an interior O-lineman capable of starting immediately in round two.

I just saw that Aaron Donald is retiring so Murphy to the Rams at 19 seems likely.
They drafted Donald's replacement last year. Kobie Turner. He looked very good as a rookie.

That’s fair. That’s why this draft is so vital. We need to focus on the trenches, and it’s the perfect draft (talent-wise) to do it.
Stacked draft for certain.

Back
Top Bottom