A myth going around | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A myth going around

WVDolphan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This type of thing is usually what a "get real" thread is for. But, this one is too short and simple for me to do a get real post on it.

But, some of you guys need to get real about this.

Im reading a lot of stuff in many threads about the idea that our schedule is so much softer in the 2nd half of the season. It seems to be a general consensus on this board. Im telling you, our schedule in the 2nd half is just as tough, and realistically probably tougher than the 1st half.

Going into the season, I wouldve said, and I did say that the last 8 games were much softer than the 1st 8. But, as the season has played out, we really need to LOOK AGAIN and GET REAL about it. Our first 8 games turned out to be a bit softer than we thought it would be and our last 8 have developed a few teams that we figured would blow that instead are pretty legit.

In the first half, we knew the Jets, Pats, Steelers, and Ravens would be tough games. But, we also thought Minnesota on the road, Cincinnati on the road, and the Packers on the road would be really tough games. So, as it turns out, the schedule was a bit less harsh than we figured it would be.

Face it. The Vikings kind of ****ing blow. We faced them with a beat up WR corps that lacked any talent aside from Harvin. Favre has looked more like Favre in the 2nd half of the season with the Jests. Thats why they have like 2 wins and havent really beaten any good teams.

Face it. The Bungles blow. They are nowhere near the team they were last season. I expect them to play some close games and perhaps beat a couple of good teams, especially in their division, but I dont see them winning more than 7 games.

Face it. The Bills are horrible as it is and when we played them they were still going with Trent Edwards.

Green Bay is a good team. That was a legit win. But, you have to admit we caught them at a great time with all those injuries they had.

So of the 8 games we played in the first half, 3 of them were against teams that we should definately beat. We also managed to draw the 3 toughest opponents we had in the first half of the season at HOME.

So I really dont see how that set of 8 games is any tougher than what we have in the 2nd half. Lets look.

I see three games we should definately win. Gotta figure we take the Bills, Lions, and Bears at home.

The Bears are playing terrible right now and I dont see how they turn it around. Plus we get them on a very short week and they have to travel. Its a Thursday night game. Big advantage to be at home in that one.

The Lions havent won on the road since the last JCane turned down a redhead that weighed less than 150lbs.

The Bills despite playing better, are still winless.

So those three games are slightly easier than the Bills, Vikings, and Bungles on the road. I will grant you that.

But, lets compare the toughest games. Remember, we drew the 3 real tough games at home in the first half.

In the 2nd half, we play two of the very same teams on the road. The Pats and Jets. Those 2 games are tougher than playing those same teams at our place.

The third toughest game is probably the Titans. We host them. I will grant you, playing the Steelers is tougher. But so far, the 2 halves of the schedule are very even.

Now lets check out the last two we havent talked about.

Playing the Raiders on the road is now looking way tougher than we thought it might be when the season started. They have as many wins as we do and have DESTROYED two opponents in a row. They have a great rushing attack with several good RBs and they also play great special teams. Add in that its a cross country trip to the west coast and this is no picnic. While I will say traveling to Baltimore is probably tougher, its still compareable.

The only game left to discuss is Cleveland. We host them and while they certainly arent good, that team is improving every week. And they just went into New Orleans and destroyed the Saints. We should win this game, but I wouldnt chalk it up by any means. Traveling to Green Bay is likely still a tougher game, despite the injuries they had, but its still not so much of a tougher game than we thought at seasons beginning.

So yea, we have a few games in the last 8 that seem easier than what we did play already. But, to say that the schedule was way tougher in the first half and that the 2nd half is some huge drop off from what we have faced so far is just a total misconception.

Ok that turned out to be a lot longer than I expected. Get real anyway. :lol:

:lol: at the shot at jcane.

Yes, it's huge to win this weekend. I don't see any gimme games on the schedule. Browns beat the Saints, Lions beat the Skins, Jills took Ravens to OT. This team needs to string victories together like they did in '08 to have a fair shot at the playoffs. What will need to change for this to happen? Vertical. passing. attack.

SOS is a moving target. Its natural to go by last year's results as an indicator of what might happen. But this is the NFL and there is such a thing as variable change. Drafts, FAs, coaching changes, injuries etc. All sorts of things make a game vs the Minnesota less difficult than previously thought of when the schedule came out in the Spring. Or, make a game vs the Raiders looked tougher than previously advertised. Cliches come true. One game at a time and its a game of matchups and inches yada yada yada. If it was all down to a perfect science then why have the athletes suit him and play the game. The unpredictability of it keeps the high interest in the NFL.

While I agree with you that the second half of our schedule isn't as easy as people are making it out to be, i still believe its tougher than the first half

face it, the Pats, Jets, Steelers, and Ravens are the best teams in the NFL (and I'd put us on their level) Green Bay is the best team in the NFC, Buffalo is a tough out at home, and so is Cincy;

Granted, our second half isn't as easy as first thought, I mean, Titans w/ Randy Moss is much tougher than without; Raiders are all of a sudden a serious team; Detroit is a much better team w/ Stafford behind center; the Browns play hardnosed football and aren't an easy out, but what I will say is despite all this, those games don't equal the first half

Flip flop the lions with the browns and your post is pretty dead on..the lions are explosive and that game will be one of the tougher games on the schdule.. we match up much better against cleveland than we do detriot

While I agree with you that the second half of our schedule isn't as easy as people are making it out to be, i still believe its tougher than the first half

face it, the Pats, Jets, Steelers, and Ravens are the best teams in the NFL (and I'd put us on their level) Green Bay is the best team in the NFC, Buffalo is a tough out at home, and so is Cincy;

Granted, our second half isn't as easy as first thought, I mean, Titans w/ Randy Moss is much tougher than without; Raiders are all of a sudden a serious team; Detroit is a much better team w/ Stafford behind center; the Browns play hardnosed football and aren't an easy out, but what I will say is despite all this, those games don't equal the first half
Green bay isn't even close to the best team in the nfc

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions beat NYJ this week.

Im picking them in my parley this week. :)

Jets starting to look like the old jets, we'll see. stuff happens.

I just wonder what people from the other teams think when they play us.

They probably go:

gotta block that cam wake dude
Gotta get to the QB, aint easy with jake long there
gotta keep caprpenter from hitting so many FG's and that offense wearing us down in 4th qtr
gotta keep marshall at bay with deep safety-then cover bess and hartline
gotta somehow keep henne from getting in a rythym
gotta keep that defense confused cus they are playing really good and bring the heat from anywhere at key point in game
gotta gotta gotta.

This team can play with anyone right now. Our Special teams is playing much much better. We just need to score more TD's and if Wallace can start getting into the mix, then look out.

any given sunday... in this league, any team can get a win on any weekend. its crazy.

There is just so parity in the NFL right now it ridiculous!! The way I see it. There are 4-5 good teams, Pats, Jets (Blah), Pit, and Balt/Giants (Maybe). And 3-4 bad teams Buf, Car, SF, and Dal. Then there is everyone else. Dont get me wrong there a few teams slightly better in that group, Us, Titans, Packers, Eagles, Colts...But for the most part pretty evenly matched.

:lol: at the shot at jcane.

Yes, it's huge to win this weekend. I don't see any gimme games on the schedule. Browns beat the Saints, Lions beat the Skins, Jills took Ravens to OT. This team needs to string victories together like they did in '08 to have a fair shot at the playoffs. What will need to change for this to happen? Vertical. passing. attack.

Yea...we need to build on last week's 'conference' win. Now BAL will very 'likely' be one of the teams we will be competing with for a WC spot...we 'must' beat them if we are to salvage our playoff hopes. It also would boost us to 5-3 and right there in the race...

we should beat the bears, i will set the sacks at an o/u 7

Back
Top Bottom