A question to the older fin fans? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question to the older fin fans?

dolphingator said:
Csonka played most his career at 235-240 lbs and was considered a BIG fullback. Today there are feature HB's who are bigger than that, as hard as that is to fathom.

Buoniconti ran like 220 lbs. That would be very small today.

Most interior linemen were giants at 270. Needless to say that would not even be considered playing weight for a 3rd stringer now.

The keyword is definitely "different eras" and that is sad Things really started changing in the early 90's with jimmah's Dallas teams.

I'm only 16, but from old tapes I saw of the Fins from the 70's I think Csonka could have made it in today's NFL. His legs looked like they never stopped moving.

I also think Warfield probably would have made it.

It's the mental fortitude and determination that makes certain players hall of famers, and others gone and forgotten. That will never change.

I am a couple months short of 39 and I remember Griese, Zonk, Mercury Morris, Warfield , Kiick, Fernadez, Buoniconti, Keuch, Offerdahl....I think most of them could play in today's game....yes the athletes have gotten bigger, faster and stronger but these guys were great at what they did. It would be nice if there could be an old-timers game with the old Fins playing the New Fins like they do in baseball....but maybe make it two hand touch?????

:roflmao:

Would the rules of the NFL reflect today or years past.

Examples offensive lineman could not use thier hands at one time (OL had to be an athlete not a whale like today).

CB's could bump all the way down the field in the 70's (Mel Blunt was the expert of the time).

Could todays recievers/TE/RB have played where the CB, S and LBs really could hammer them all game long?

QBs of today practically play in a skirt, could they survive the pounding of the 60's and 70's?

Roman529 said:
I am a couple months short of 39 and I remember Griese, Zonk, Mercury Morris, Warfield , Kiick, Fernadez, Buoniconti, Keuch, Offerdahl....I think most of them could play in today's game....yes the athletes have gotten bigger, faster and stronger but these guys were great at what they did. It would be nice if there could be an old-timers game with the old Fins playing the New Fins like they do in baseball....but maybe make it two hand touch?????

:roflmao:

You have to remember Buoniconti,Fernadez,Keuch were all very small compared to todays NFL stars. If they were the same size trying to play today?

Offerdahl wasn't that long ago and could play.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
You have to remember Buoniconti,Fernadez,Keuch were all very small compared to todays NFL stars. If they were the same size trying to play today?

Offerdahl wasn't that long ago and could play.

I have to agree with you... MOST of the previous era players would not stand much of a chance in todays NFL.

Edit: as much I would love to say Offerdahl could play, I would have to kindly decline. After 1990 he was never truely the same. 1990 and on being the turning point in the larger defensve linemand that we are whitnessing today(ala Washington, Sap, etc) yes there is a 5 year seperation between the two coming into the league, but those two help issue in a new era of defensive lineman.

BlitPhinFan said:
I have to agree with you... MOST of the previous era players would not stand much of a chance in todays NFL.

I do think some could play, but it would be tough!

People like Jack Lambert, Dick Butkis etc... would always find a spot on a team and they would still be great. But for the averge Joe on a team, most likely not!

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I do think some could play, but it would be tough!

People like Jack Lambert, Dick Butkis etc... would always find a spot on a team and they would still be great. But for the averge Joe on a team, most likely not!

Butkis I could possibly see, but only in very situational instances. As much as I love butkis, he was still not big enogh to fullfill the role of todays fullbacks. Just my opinion.

Mr Fan said:
Would the rules of the NFL reflect today or years past.

Examples offensive lineman could not use thier hands at one time (OL had to be an athlete not a whale like today).

CB's could bump all the way down the field in the 70's (Mel Blunt was the expert of the time).

Could todays recievers/TE/RB have played where the CB, S and LBs really could hammer them all game long?

QBs of today practically play in a skirt, could they survive the pounding of the 60's and 70's?

I think they need to bring back the head slap and other things which were legal...QB's are way overprotected...it doesn't seem like old school QB's got hurt as much although their careers were sometimes shortened do to knee injuries amd other things (before arthroscopic surgery). I miss seeing guys like Lester Hayes dripping with stick em all over, and how d-backs could push and bump guys all over the field....too many sissys now-a-days. But football is great in any era....lets have NFL football year round. :lol:

BlitPhinFan said:
Butkis I could possibly see, but only in very situational instances. As much as I love butkis, he was still not big enogh to fullfill the role of todays fullbacks. Just my opinion.

LB :wink:

BlitPhinFan said:

Edit: as much I would love to say Offerdahl could play, I would have to kindly decline. After 1990 he was never truely the same. 1990 and on being the turning point in the larger defensve linemand that we are whitnessing today(ala Washington, Sap, etc) yes there is a 5 year seperation between the two coming into the league, but those two help issue in a new era of defensive lineman.

offerdahl was a middle linebacker, not a lineman.:wink:

BlitPhinFan said:

dick butkis was a middle linebacker, not a full back.

Imo alot of the players would still be able to play, they all might not play the same postions, baumhower, bokamper and aj duhe would all be linebackers not linemen. griese he definitely would be able to play, remeber he was playing while he was legally blind and passing to shadows, especially if dilfer can play in this league and win a superbowl. The players of old would be in the same type of training system and they would adapt IMO.

It's the mental fortitude and determination that makes certain players hall of famers, and others gone and forgotten. That will never change.

That's the key.

If, somehow, some of those old-time players were playing today, they would have grown up with the same advantages of nutrition, training, ubiquitous peewee football, etc., as today's players. There's every reason to believe that they all would be, themselves, bigger better stronger and faster than they actually were in their own day.

You're the guy from the Atlanta olympics?

Back
Top Bottom