A question to the older fin fans? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question to the older fin fans?

Wrong Jewell.

As it turns out, I _was_ there, though... I got to see two Olympic events the day after it happened. We heard about it on the radio as we driving towards Atlanta.

Good to know you aren't that Jewell. Good luck with the band (fellow guitar player).

If you put the players of the past through the same regimens that modern players grow up with (weight training, nutrition, etc.) probably 50 - 70% could have competed.

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, I'm not related to Richard, but in the name of Jewell I do feel inclined to point out that he was completely cleared during the investigation into the bombing.

Richard Jewell was the hero. Eric Rudolph was the villain.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...

A very high percentage of the top players would have starred in any era

Are you going to tell me Mark Spitz would flop as a swimmer today? His gold medal times don't even qualify for the finals.

Obviously, the training methods and knowledge are vastly superior today. The best athletes of the previous eras would have taken full advantage and become bigger, faster, stronger and every bit as good.

I think the best post in this thread concerned the oldtime secondary players who would now be on the bench, or out of the league. Exactly. You're never going to see a Tim Foley starting at CB in the NFL again. The rules of that era basically allowed DBs to tackle the WR before the ball was released. Miami took advantage of that better than anyone until the Isaac Curtis Rule.

Frankly, I think pass interference is an absurd penalty that should be all but eliminated. If you can smack a running back while he has the ball, why not flatten a flimsy WR before the ball arrives? Sorry, but I've never understood that wimpy reasoning, that the time period when the ball is in the air is somehow magical and no one can be disturbed by a naughty bump. I guess they're trying to avoid more Darryl Stingleys, but to me it detracts from the game. I want the most destructive teams to prevail, not someone with a dainty QB.

Lets phrase this another way, could today's players play with yesterdays rules? Mean joe green would kill today's linemen with that helmet slap thing...

As an actual old guy I'll wade in. All the discussion regarding differances in size, rules, training methods, etc. are all very much on point. The only way to examine a player is to watch him play and that means with the rules and against the competition of his time. Some guys because of particular talent could probably go in multiple eras but the thing that made the great Dolphin teams of the past great was they could dominate at their level and in their time.

One obvious exception however is coaching. Shuila and Arnsbarger showed they could adapt with the times and still stay ahead of the curve. Even there though some coaches can't adapt and are left behind.

rickysux said:
honestly MOST of the secondary players from the 60s and 70s would be setting at the house watching imo

Not a fair statement, for one thing you could molest receivers all the way down the field back then, it was very physical in the secondary in those days and you had to have more physical corners to play then, the correct way to say it would be, under the rules they had in the 70's, most of the soft non-physical corners of now wouldn't have done well, and that under todays rules the 70's corners would not do well.........the game was different with different rules requiring different kinds of players.

morphin said:
dick butkis was a middle linebacker, not a full back.

:smackhead: Oh dear lord was I confused lastnight. I must put down the keyboard when... :drinker: :splat::hitself::nerd::o

I dont think many could. The coaching and cohesion of a team was much better back then. Same coaches and surrounding players for years. They survived on coaching, familiarity and execution. Just watch those old super bowls...no one took a play off.

These days, players rely on the physical attributes most.

I think that the players from the 70's and the 80's can hang just as much with today's players. They also played with that damn Illegal contact penalty. I agree the game has changed, but i think Jake Scott playing today and Dick Andersen would both have starting jobs. It's the plays from the 40's and 50's that i dont agree with, i mean offenses were hardly even developed, and i see guys in legend fantasy drafts taking "Bronco Nagurski" with the 3rd overall pick...that's ridiculous

cnc66 said:
good question, I think that in most matchups today's athlete's would crush the older guy's. Not in heart or desire, but in strength and speed.

Perfectly stated.

I love the old timers, but the game has changed as had preparation, training, etc.... Most just couldn't do it. Even those in the HOF. That doesn't diminish their greatness however.

rickysux said:
hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. do you think with all these players today getting bigger stronger faster that the old school fins players would be able to play in todays game? like would greise start in the nfl or all these hall of fame players would they have a chance with all these monsters today?

Yup because they'd be doing the things they have to do to be the best they could be today.

Play makers are play makers no matter when they played IMO.

rickysux said:
hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. do you think with all these players today getting bigger stronger faster that the old school fins players would be able to play in todays game? like would greise start in the nfl or all these hall of fame players would they have a chance with all these monsters today?

Just keep one thing in mind when football started they used leather helmuts and very little pads. even in the seventies and eighties they did not wear as many pads as they do now. while there where injuries back then. there are a lot more now. and they even played dirtier than the do now. back then they closelined, speared, drug people down by the facemask. my point is they my be bigger today but, they are p*ssies compared to the old time players.

rickysux said:

interesting and i'd love to see jack Tatum leveling some of these yung'ns of today!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom