A rare Slimm mock draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A rare Slimm mock draft

Slimm, what WR's do you project to be available at 42? My liking of Reid at 42 would depend on which WR's you're passing on to draft him.

I will say that I like what Eifert and Swope bring to the offense. It'd be nice to see us take back the middle of the field - especially on passes going beyond 5 yards.

I really like Slimm's draft. I especially appreciate how well thought out it is in terms of complimenting other pieces. I have more confidence in that draft than anything Ireland will actually do. I especially liked the doubling down at TE and CB.

You sign Mike Wallace to extend the field vertically and get some sure handed guys in the middle of the field. Perfect.

42 gave me pause. I never liked Reid's hips playing centerfield but Slimm's explanation makes sense. If Carradine is there at 42, I'd be interested. But, realistically, with Odrick reportedly losing 20 lbs to play LDE, and with Vernon developing, I am not sure DE will be a huge priority. They could use a situational rusher though, possibly someone in free agency or in mid rounds.

The other thing I would like to see is a second receiver, someone with height or who attacks the ball. I like Wallace expanding the field for other guys working underneath. I like the TE's. Hartline comes back. Swope can be a slot guy with playmaking ability that will render Bess obsolete. But I'd like a receiver opposite Wallace with some height like Hunter or Wilson, or someone who attacks the ball like Patton or Bailey.

Joe Rose, a former TE, really likes Eifert. We know Buoniconti does with his over the top comments.

Slimm's draft, with the addition of a free agent OT like Vollmer, and of course Wallace could have this squad playoff bound. It's probably too much to ask for Levitre too.

Love this draft! Fills the holes and adds playmakers. Especially love the Eifert and Swope picks. If this happens ill be a happy chappy!

Slimm, what WR's do you project to be available at 42? My liking of Reid at 42 would depend on which WR's you're passing on to draft him.

I will say that I like what Eifert and Swope bring to the offense. It'd be nice to see us take back the middle of the field - especially on passes going beyond 5 yards.

I'd expect Patterson, Allen, Bailey, and perhaps Wheaton to be gone by #42. Basically, I'm taking the #1 safety on my board over the #4 or #5 WR's on my board no matter who they are at the top of the 2nd round. I'm certainly passing up DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, etc. at 2(a) for a safety that I have a higher grade on.

I feel like I came away with the best safety in the draft at the top of the 2nd round, and a 10-year player with ability to be an elite caliber free safety... which is something this team has needed since Brock Marion. I want a kid like Reid patrolling the back end of my secondary.

I'd like to address CB before Safety but overall i love the draft. Especially if we address the pass rush via free agency (Avril? I can dream). The Swope pick has been growing on me lately, and i have to say i am actually going to be a little disappointed if we don't come out of the draft with him.

i would run down the street naked 3 times if that was anything close to our draft.
i might just run once if we got Eifert

There's another route here that I'd consider, but the general plan stays the same. How the draft goes would dictate my strategy. Either way, John Abraham would be another player I target in free agency.

1. Tyler Eifert* / TE / Notre Dame

2. Cornellius Carradine / DE / Florida St.

2. Ryan Swope / WR / Texas A&M

3. Leon McFadden / CB / San Diego St.

3. Bacarri Rambo / S / Georgia

4. Jake Stoneburner / TE / Ohio St.

5. Tanner Hawkinson / OT / Kansas

7. Quanterus Smith / DE / Western Kentucky

7. D.J. Hayden / CB / Houston

it would be nice if we did get a 4th round pick for loosing Langford.perhaps trade down in the first pick up a 2nd or 3rd .and still grab Eifert

this is how i hope it go on draft day
1.allen wr trade down
2a. alex okafor de
2b. taylor cb
3.a. long ot
3b.sly cb
3c. dobson wr
4 jordan te
5. marcus latimore rb

Slimm, I'm having trouble reconciling the first mock with your previous player ratings. You have Carradine ranked as the second best player in the draft, yet only consider him in the second round (and by the sound of it, you pass on him at 2A in the first mock)? You also grab Reid at the top of second round yet have 7 WRs ranked higher, not all of which can be off the board at that point. Have you updated your draft rankings, since the previous post? Or does the difference have more to do with a specific draft strategy for the Fins?

Slimm, I'm having trouble reconciling the first mock with your previous player ratings. You have Carradine ranked as the second best player in the draft, yet only consider him in the second round (and by the sound of it, you pass on him at 2A in the first mock)? You also grab Reid at the top of second round yet have 7 WRs ranked higher, not all of which can be off the board at that point. Have you updated your draft rankings, since the previous post? Or does the difference have more to do with a specific draft strategy for the Fins?

I understand the confusion.

I have 7 WR's ranked higher with my board stacked vertically, but I don't draft vertically. Very few teams that I know of draft vertically... it goes against the principle of what you're trying to accomplish in the draft.

I only have 1 wide receiver with a strong 1st round grade, which is Cordarrelle Patterson. The rest I gave 2nd round status.

In my first mock, Carradine isn't on the board at 2(a). I feel like he's the 2nd best player in the draft when he's healthy, combined with the high value of the position he plays. However, I think it's 60/40 that he doesn't make it out of the 1st round. The 40% chance that he does, and is available at the top of the 2nd round prompts my next strategy.

I have a complete draft board that consists of 350+ players counting some potential UDFA's that I like. However, my team specific draft board in Miami's case for example, only consists of 247 prospects. Several factors contribute to the streamlined board.

I'm starting to warm up to this Reid idea after hearing Daniel Jeremiah talking about him + obviously Slimm liking him too. A good FS could definitely improve this defense a lot...

2. Eric Reid* / S / LSU

3. Robert Alford / CB / S.E. Louisiana

4. Chris Gragg / TE / Arkansas

5. Luke Marquardt / OT / Azusa Pacific

7. Jeff Nady / OT / Nevada

Well done. I'm kinda shocked actually. You have Eifert, Swope, and McFadden about where I am considering them too, and I didn't realize we had them rated so similarly. I'm a little curious about how you would address WR and DE if we did draft this way though? I'm guessing 2 FA WR's and wait another year to get a DE?

and

There's another route here that I'd consider, but the general plan stays the same. How the draft goes would dictate my strategy. Either way, John Abraham would be another player I target in free agency.

2. Cornellius Carradine / DE / Florida St.

3. Bacarri Rambo / S / Georgia

4. Jake Stoneburner / TE / Ohio St.

5. Tanner Hawkinson / OT / Kansas

7. D.J. Hayden / CB / Houston

This one is even better to my tastes. Rambo has a lot of ability and if he keeps his off-field stuff under control, He can be a great combo ballhawker. I like Stoneburner as a sleeper. He isn't as athletic as Gragg, but I think he will be more reliable. What do you think about Vance McDonald or Travis Kelce if one of them is there in the 4th?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every mock I see, they usually have the bears takin Eifert at 20 and I think if he lasts that long they'll definitely take him. If we trade down and still want him we better watch out cause they may jump us to get him

Those corners are too small for this regime. Do you really think we'd take two corners under 5'11"?? I don't.

And idc what anyone says, 12 is waaaaay too high for Eifert.

Back
Top Bottom