A refresher on RW from November SI | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A refresher on RW from November SI

I wasn't a fan of DW either, but let's get serious here. You people act as if DW was the only coach in NFL history to embrace the ball control mentality. Bum Phillips did it with Earl Campbell, John McKay did it with James Wilder. Billy Simms WAS the Detroit Lions offense for many years.
I don't subscribe to that style of offense, but if a player is unhappy with his role he has other options other than just quitting. This article does not change my opinion about RW. Please, someone throw me a crying towel.

thedayafter said:
  • RW played with a hard nosed sense of purpose.... I don't think anyone can question his commitment to running the ball.
  • Maybe he stayed in the game to help the team win. Maybe after the season when all the crap started he felt differently.
  • Is he responsible for some of it ... no question.
  • But look at all the FA's that would not even play for DW... the guy was a farce, players, coaches and agents knew this.... they bailed on the front side.

There is no question that Dave was a terrible coach.....no, make that a terrible excuse for an attempt at being a coach. That doesnt change the fact that Ricky pretty much made his own bed...but didnt want to lie in it.

As for Ricky's reasons for staying in when he had the option to come out any time he wanted.....do you realize how much of Ricky's salary was based on incentives. Each year Ricky had performance incentives. If he met those incentives, not only did he earn bonuses, but the amount of the bonuses would be added to Ricky's BASE salary the following year. I think its just as likely that this was the reason Ricky had so many carries as is the idea that it was some desire to help the team win.

IMO Ricky quit because he tested positive for pot and was about to be suspended for a year anyway. All this BS about overuse was just another attempt by Ricky to shift the blame for his shortcomings to anyone but himself.

jlfin said:
I wasn't a fan of DW either, but let's get serious here. You people act as if DW was the only coach in NFL history to embrace the ball control mentality. Bum Phillips did it with Earl Campbell, John McKay did it with James Wilder. Billy Simms WAS the Detroit Lions offense for many years.
I don't subscribe to that style of offense, but if a player is unhappy with his role he has other options other than just quitting. This article does not change my opinion about RW. Please, someone throw me a crying towel.

• In two years RW had more carries than any other RB in history. That's not ball control ... that's dumb.
  • RW never said he was unhappy in his role that year. He wanted more money the next year if DW was going to use him in that manner. He didn't get it.... he walked.
  • I am not making excuses for RW just looking at iut from another view.... clearly RW has issues.

yankeehillbilly said:
There is no question that Dave was a terrible coach.....no, make that a terrible excuse for an attempt at being a coach. That doesnt change the fact that Ricky pretty much made his own bed...but didnt want to lie in it.

As for Ricky's reasons for staying in when he had the option to come out any time he wanted.....do you realize how much of Ricky's salary was based on incentives. Each year Ricky had performance incentives. If he met those incentives, not only did he earn bonuses, but the amount of the bonuses would be added to Ricky's BASE salary the following year. I think its just as likely that this was the reason Ricky had so many carries as is the idea that it was some desire to help the team win.

IMO Ricky quit because he tested positive for pot and was about to be suspended for a year anyway. All this BS about overuse was just another attempt by Ricky to shift the blame for his shortcomings to anyone but himself.

• Nobody is stating it was the only reason... RW has issues, no question, DW shortening his career was just one of them.
  • It's RW's opinion.... not blame.
  • IMO I don't buy the fact that he stays in the game to reach incentives.
  • RW was not calling his number... DW was... many times at the disgust of the offensive staff.

SCall13 said:
It wasn't about being in the game. It was about being hammered up the middle 35 times a game. Ricky Williams was/is a competitor. He wanted to stay in the game. But he could have been used as a decoy, been thrown the ball more where he was in the open field(as opposed to being hammered up the middle) Also, his dedication to his team mates, believe it or not, probably had a lot to do with why he stayed in. He felt obligated to be in there, to carry the team. When the next season rolled around, he simply decided he didn't want to kill himself for someone like Wannstedt anymore. Now that he sees a change in the organization, a new philosophy, and realize he will be a PART of a much improved offense, more wide open and MUCH less predictable - and not the ONLY part of a vanilla offense, he probably feels rejuvenated and ready to get back on the field and contribute with a lighter load and lower expectations of him having to carry the entire team.

I think you give Ricky far too much credit.
Dedication to his team??? You are joking, right?
IMO Ricky had no dedication to the team. Ricky only had dedication to Ricky. Even when Ricky's favorite propaganda minister, "Dan LeBatard" was defending Ricky, he admitted that Ricky was selfish. If Ricky was so dedicated to his teammates, why did he wait till a couple of days before training camp to quit? Why didnt he publically, or even privately apologize to his teammates, or at least the 2 or 3 teamates that were his friends? Why didnt he accept the NFL's offer to serve his 4 game suspension over the last 4 games of the season? (remember, Wanny was already gone by then)
Also, if quitting because of Wanny was so justifiable, why didnt any other players quit the team?

You might be able to blame Ricky's actions partially on his SAD. You certainly can blame his actions on his selfishness. You can blame his actions on his drug use (and his desire to continue).
I just dont think you can blame his actions on Wanny.

thedayafter said:
  • In two years RW had more carries than any other RB in history. That's not ball control ... that's dumb.
  • RW never said he was unhappy in his role that year. He wanted more money the next year if DW was going to use him in that manner. He didn't get it.... he walked.
  • I am not making excuses for RW just looking at iut from another view.... clearly RW has issues.

I agree he has issues. I don't think he's the only player in the NFL (or in any professional sport) who has a problem with team philosophy. What I don't respect about him is the manner in which he handled his displeasure...like a coward (sort of like breaking up with someone by leaving an e-mail).

yankeehillbilly said:
IMO Ricky had no dedication to the team. Ricky only had dedication to Ricky. Even when Ricky's favorite propaganda minister, "Dan LeBatard" was defending Ricky, he admitted that Ricky was selfish. If Ricky was so dedicated to his teammates, why did he wait till a couple of days before training camp to quit? Why didnt he publically, or even privately apologize to his teammates, or at least the 2 or 3 teamates that were his friends? Why didnt he accept the NFL's offer to serve his 4 game suspension over the last 4 games of the season? (remember, Wanny was already gone by then)
Also, if quitting because of Wanny was so justifiable, why didnt any other players quit the team?

You might be able to blame Ricky's actions partially on his SAD. You certainly can blame his actions on his selfishness. You can blame his actions on his drug use (and his desire to continue).

• Most if not all NFL players are "selfish" to a point... some more than others.
  • RW played the season but saw the writing on the wall. He didn't like it so he walked.
  • RW had failed two drug tests (unpublished) and had a deal with the NFL to pay a fine of $540,000 and not serve the suspension. He then failed a third test and was facing the year of suspension. His fault no question but with the issues with the Dolphins (money/carries) he freaked out and bailed.
  • Was the timing right for the team...no... but he wasn't in total control of the timing... he had just failed the third test.
  • It's pretty clear players "quit" yet kept on collecting paychecks until DW was gone... just look at what Bates was able to do... restore order.
  • This is not to "justify" RW's actions just bring to light more facts.

jlfin said:
I agree he has issues. I don't think he's the only player in the NFL (or in any professional sport) who has a problem with team philosophy. What I don't respect about him is the manner in which he handled his displeasure...like a coward (sort of like breaking up with someone by leaving an e-mail).

• RW has mental issues... did he handle it the right way... not by anyones standards.
  • His third failed test (meaning a 1 year suspension) came only weeks before the start of camp.... at the end of the day... RW would not have played a down for the Dolphins anyway.

The first failed test resulted in the fine(not a deal w/the NFL...a fine equal to a 4 games paycheck is what is called for by the policy on a first failed test while in the "program"). The second resulted in a 4 game suspension...which he still owes. The 3rd would have resulted in a year's suspension and IMO was the main reason Ricky "retired". By retireing, Ricky would be out of the leagues testing program and could smoke all he wanted, as long as he quit before he re-entered the NFL. If he had simply served the 1 year suspension he would have remained in the program and had he failed another test he could have been suspended indefinately.

The problem I have is all the people trying to put some, if not all of the blame on Wannstedt.
Heaven knows Wanny should have been fired long ago, but he didnt force Ricky to smoke dope. He didnt force Ricky to go off his SAD meds. He technically didnt even force Ricky to carry the ball as many times as he did.
Ricky chose to smoke dope. Ricky chose to sign the contract that plainly stated how much he would make. Ricky chose to stay in the games even though he knew that by doing so he would get a ton of carries. Ricky chose to go off his meds.
Finally, Ricky chose to quit.
Dave Wannstedt may have been a terrible coach, but he didnt make Ricky's choices for him.

yankeehillbilly said:

Some people barely pay attention to posts before they respond to them. Ricky was OBVIOUSLY dedicated to the team for the two years he was here. He did, after all, break the record for most carries in a two year span. Seems like dedication to me. Bottom line is, he got tired of it. It's hard to blame him for getting tired of using his body as a human wrecking ball. And that is EXACTLY what would have happened had he stauyed with the team last year. Why would it have happened? BEcause of Dave Wannstedt. And if you don't think that he was a big factor in RW's decision in leaving, then you are seriously delusional.
I am not saying what Ricky did was the right thing all the way around. But if I were him and I had been used that way and didn't see any changes in the way things were going to be ran, then I would have had second (and third) thoughts about playing too. There were several reasons Ricky walked away from the game. And Wanny was a HUGE part of the reasoning.

Is that right? I thought the THIRD positive drug test resulted in the 4 game suspension. The FOURTH is a year and a failure to take a drug test is treated as a positive test. He failed, refused to take a fourth test and that's where the 1 year suspension part came in. I think that's right.

He was the one that didnt come out of the game when he got tired, even though he had the authority to do so anytime he wanted.

Come on the whole world knew this was "the deal"
What pro football players wants people or future coaches to think he can't handle the big hurt plays late in the game when clock control is happening.

yankeehillbilly said:
Ricky is so full of shjt, its coming out of his ears. He was the one that asked to be left in on 3rd downs. He was the one that didnt come out of the game when he got tired, even though he had the authority to do so anytime he wanted.

Then he gets an interview and doesnt want to admit that he is the cause of his own troubles, so he blames someone else.
The Yank provides an interesting point, one that could burst the balloon of this RW excusefest.
Let's look at it this way. Other players have surely endured whatever hardship that Ricky endured in the NFL. I'm sure it is not uncommon to not like your coach (and we all dislike Wanny with good reson), be exposed to drugs, be expected to dress a certain way, be at a certain place at a certain time, etc. I'm sure many athletes have endured all of these problems at times so why are they not leaving in droves whenever thigs do not go their way? Character maybe? I know Ricky also deals with that anxiety social phobia which is rare, but the other reasons he names hold no water with me. I feel for the guy with that phobia...being a celebrity and all, but the other reasons? No.

Why didn't all the dolphins quit last year because of coaching? They all suffered through it because they love competition. Is Ricky less driven, or was it Ricky's phobia that is really the reason? That's the only good one I can see. Otherwise, I'd call him a weak quitter. Although I always said he was going to get hurt being overused so maybe he saw it and decided why bother? Then again he could have checked out of a number of plays a game to make his point to Wanny if that was really the reason.

Which is true? We will never know. Only he does, and those closest to him. I's just an unfortunate thing with all that talent, and he seems nice too. Soft spoken, intelligent, etc.

Back
Top Bottom