A refresher on RW from November SI | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A refresher on RW from November SI

SCall13 said:
Some people barely pay attention to posts before they respond to them. Ricky was OBVIOUSLY dedicated to the team for the two years he was here. He did, after all, break the record for most carries in a two year span. Seems like dedication to me. Bottom line is, he got tired of it. It's hard to blame him for getting tired of using his body as a human wrecking ball. And that is EXACTLY what would have happened had he stauyed with the team last year. Why would it have happened? BEcause of Dave Wannstedt. And if you don't think that he was a big factor in RW's decision in leaving, then you are seriously delusional.
I am not saying what Ricky did was the right thing all the way around. But if I were him and I had been used that way and didn't see any changes in the way things were going to be ran, then I would have had second (and third) thoughts about playing too. There were several reasons Ricky walked away from the game. And Wanny was a HUGE part of the reasoning.

Im delusional? Look in the mirror bub.
What you see as dedication I see as Ricky making sure he got his incentives. If Ricky just "got tired of it", why didn't he quit earlier? Why did he wait till he was on the verge of being suspended for a year? Why didnt Ricky agree to return to the drug testing program as soon as the guy that was overworking him quit?
Ricky makes up stories to avoid taking responsibility for his actions. What amazes me is that so many people are ready to unconditionally believe anything Ricky says, even after hearing all the contradictory BS he has been spewing for the past 9 or 10 months.

Ricky will be ok as long as he stays off the sweets.

jlfin said:
I wasn't a fan of DW either, but let's get serious here. You people act as if DW was the only coach in NFL history to embrace the ball control mentality. Bum Phillips did it with Earl Campbell, John McKay did it with James Wilder. Billy Simms WAS the Detroit Lions offense for many years.
I don't subscribe to that style of offense, but if a player is unhappy with his role he has other options other than just quitting. This article does not change my opinion about RW. Please, someone throw me a crying towel.

And look how fast they got used up.

yankeehillbilly said:
Im delusional? Look in the mirror bub.
What you see as dedication I see as Ricky making sure he got his incentives. If Ricky just "got tired of it", why didn't he quit earlier? Why did he wait till he was on the verge of being suspended for a year? Why didnt Ricky agree to return to the drug testing program as soon as the guy that was overworking him quit?
Ricky makes up stories to avoid taking responsibility for his actions. What amazes me is that so many people are ready to unconditionally believe anything Ricky says, even after hearing all the contradictory BS he has been spewing for the past 9 or 10 months.

If you had a a quarter million riding on another 250 yards, wouldn't you run it? I would. But that doesn't mean you ahve to like it and KEEP doing it. Ricky simply got tired of having to kill himself for his money when all the other RBs in the league were getting it whether they were in the game or on the side lines.

The way I interpet that article.

Ricky wants to play for a coach he believes in. Pure and simple. After 5 yrs of DW, I can't really blame him for "escaping" DW.

A quick point, Ricky likes Norv Tuner. If L. Jorden flunks like I think he will. Ricky to the Raiders for a 2nd & (3rd or 4th).

SCall13 said:
No doubt Williams could have been great - one of the greatest of all time. It isn't too late for him. If he truely desires to excel, he will. He is a rare talent. If it weren't for Wanny, Williams probably would have faced up to his failed tests. Or, to take it a step further, he may have cared enough to not do it at all. After a while, when you are in a bad situation, you lose the ability to give a S***. Granted, this sounds like a big excuse for Williams. But it isn't so far fetched. Williams lost his desire to play for Wannstedt - not to play football. And things in his personal life may have snowballed from there. Who knows.

It doesn't sound like a big excuse, it is a big excuse.

He had already tested positive for smoing pot. He has a history of emotional/mental disorders. Lets ignore all of that and blame the coach....

Here are some things that he could have done, but didn't:

1. Held out and demanded a trade. That way, the Dolphins would have gotten something for him.

2. Talked to the coaching staff about his concerns.

3. Pulled himself out on some offensive series to prevent too many carries.

Ricky had been a work horse back for years, in college and the pros. Now suddenly we are to believe that the focus on the running game was the reason for his leaving.

Didn't he also claim that he smoked pot and got caught intentionally? Oh wait, he said he quit because he got caught and was too embarrassed, no wait, he lost his love for the game, no, he wanted more money, no, he was too restricted by all of the NFL rules, no, he didn't want to be part of this society that was focuses on the wrong things, no, blah, blah, blah.....

I feel sorry for him. I really don't think he knows why he quit. He still has serious emotional issues and those are the root of his problems.

thedayafter said:
  • RW was not calling his number... DW was... many times at the disgust of the offensive staff.

Please find me one spec of evidence that DW called the plays. As far as I know, Norv Turner called the plays.

Were you not watching at the end of the NE game in 2002 when three straight passing plays were called? Nearly every "expert" on this forum went nuts because the plays were not runs by Ricky Williams. "Everyone should realize that Ricky is our main weapon, why the heck didn't we run him there?".....

Gimmie a fricking break guys, am I actually seeing post on here with people blaming DW for ricky's quitting on the team, then why didn't the whole team quit then. Stop making excuses for Ricky and his idiotic behavior. Don't forget that many of our core players didn't want wanny to quit.....ahh resign. listen I know wanny made alot of mistakes while he was here, but to make excuses for ricky...he's a grown a$$ man with a child like brain. I am just as excited as anyone alse with the prospect of him coming back...but gimmie a break.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Please find me one spec of evidence that DW called the plays. As far as I know, Norv Turner called the plays.

Were you not watching at the end of the NE game in 2002 when three straight passing plays were called? Nearly every "expert" on this forum went nuts because the plays were not runs by Ricky Williams. "Everyone should realize that Ricky is our main weapon, why the heck didn't we run him there?".....

• It is abundantly clear DW was exceedingly restictive of the offense. Did he call the plays...no.... Did he override game plans and certain play calls ...yes.
  • The OC situation in 2004 was a soap opera... period. DW did not want to be challenged when it came time to game plan. Run the ball, punt, keep it close.

finmann said:
Gimmie a fricking break guys, am I actually seeing post on here with people blaming DW for ricky's quitting on the team, then why didn't the whole team quit then. Stop making excuses for Ricky and his idiotic behavior. Don't forget that many of our core players didn't want wanny to quit.....ahh resign. listen I know wanny made alot of mistakes while he was here, but to make excuses for ricky...he's a grown a$$ man with a child like brain. I am just as excited as anyone alse with the prospect of him coming back...but gimmie a break.
  • It is pretty obvious some players "quit" under DW...look at the record... look at the turn around and what was in the media after Bates took over.
  • No excuses are being made, just point of view.
  • RW has issues... no question.

I will try to find the article but just to set the record straight on RW and the failed tests.
  • He failed two tests leading to a 4 game suspension.
  • A deal was brokered for RW to pay a fine of $540k and avoid the 4 game suspension. Part of this deal was significant random testing.
  • During the time this deal was brokered and before it was signed RW had been tested again.
  • Results take weeks to return.
  • The NFL, Dolphins, RW and his handlers were informed RW had failed a third test.
  • The deal was pulled and RW faced a 1 year suspension plus 4 games effectively putting him out of the 2004 season and into 2005.
  • The timing of these final tests and results was June of 2004 mere weeks before camp.
  • Recall that RW "never looked better" and had participated in all camps.
  • RW had issues with DW, the direction of the offense, money and certainly mental issues of his own.
  • He bailed.... the circus rolled into town

Roman529 said:
Ricky will be ok as long as he stays off the sweets.

:roflmao: I about fell out of my chair when he said that on 60 minutes. Classic stoned Ricky.:lol:

thedayafter said:
I will try to find the article but just to set the record straight on RW and the failed tests.
  • He failed two tests leading to a 4 game suspension.
  • A deal was brokered for RW to pay a fine of $540k and avoid the 4 game suspension. Part of this deal was significant random testing.
  • During the time this deal was brokered and before it was signed RW had been tested again.
  • Results take weeks to return.
  • The NFL, Dolphins, RW and his handlers were informed RW had failed a third test.
  • The deal was pulled and RW faced a 1 year suspension plus 4 games effectively putting him out of the 2004 season and into 2005.
  • The timing of these final tests and results was June of 2004 mere weeks before camp.
  • Recall that RW "never looked better" and had participated in all camps.
  • RW had issues with DW, the direction of the offense, money and certainly mental issues of his own.
  • He bailed.... the circus rolled into town

Thanks. Please find the article if you can. I had thought itwas he'd failed a third and a 4th was set which he didn't take and it was treated like a 4th failed test - thus the 1 year suspension.

• The NFL administers two tests at the same, one to validate the other.
  • RW scored a 15 on a test in Decmeber of 2003... a 15 is the lowest score you can get and only shows "occational" use.
  • The second test of the same sample came back a 14 which would clear the NFL policy but the second sample test only needs to confirm evidence of the drug.
  • RW was appealing this test (his second violation) going into the 2004 season.

thedayafter said:
  • It is pretty obvious some players "quit" under DW...look at the record... look at the turn around and what was in the media after Bates took over.
  • No excuses are being made, just point of view.
  • RW has issues... no question.

I respect your opinion dude and I guess I came off a little annoyed. But people on here making excuses for this guy...just can't respect that. What happens if Saban gets in his face on the sideline and he decides tyo quit again, can we then say "oh saban is such a jerk for making poor booby ricky quit" this is life... this is football.

Back
Top Bottom