Adam and Mort: RGIII | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam and Mort: RGIII

RGIII's character and leadership should not be down played.

I totally agree. I love Kendall Wright as a pro prospect. He would be the perfect #2 WR for us and 1000X better than that piece a' crap Brian Hartline.,

The only thing is, is that lately I've been noticing Wright climbing the boards. A month ago you'd see him decked firmly in the 2nd, late 2nd, even the 3rd round. But now he's a late first rounder in a lot of places. Which means we're SOL if that's where he eventually goes

If I had a choice to take RGIII or Kendall Wright for free, I choose Wright 10 times out of 10. He will be a better pro player than RGIII will. And most likely, by a longshot.

the more i watch baylor the more i like wright...wouldn't surprise me if he went somewhere in the 20's...

Nor should they be over-played. Ultimately, you put Albert Schweitzer on a football field, he's not going to do well.

I agree with that too.

I just think the kid is special. This is the time of year that we over-analyze the smallest things. Can RGIII play the game? Yes. He would revitalize the organization IMO. Anyone that builds up Baylor Football deserves a ton respect. I think is athletic to make adjustments and has great instincts.

Why did you pick Albert? LOL. Good analogy...

I agree with that too.

I just think the kid is special. This is the time of year that we over-analyze the smallest things. Can RGIII play the game? Yes. He would revitalize the organization IMO. Anyone that builds up Baylor Football deserves a ton respect. I think is athletic to make adjustments and has great instincts.

Why did you pick Albert? LOL. Good analogy...

I think the details matter. I always have and I always will. Where you see this time of year being the time when we over-analyze the details, I see the exact opposite. This is a the time of the year where draft evaluation is MOST sensitive to results-based analysis rather than detail-based analysis. For instance, winning the Heisman trophy boosted RG3's stock tremendously. Now people can't stop talking about him. If you took a poll of Dol-Fans a week before the Heisman ceremony and polled Dol-Fans a week after the Heisman ceremony, I bet his "should we draft" percentage went up by 20% or more.

And yet, since when has winning the Heisman ever been a good indicator that this player is the best in the Draft?

Take Matt Barkley for instance. He beats Oregon and he douses UCLA. For a good 2 or 3 weeks after that, people couldn't stop talking about him. There are now two QBs in the Draft, not just Andrew Luck, etc. This is results-based analysis. Couple weeks later he's not playing in a bowl game, he's not wining the Heisman...he's going by the wayside.

Results-based analysis isn't for me. I prefer detail-based analysis, especially when you're trying to develop a vision for a guy doing what very few humans on this earth can do, which is play franchise level football at the quarterback position in the National Football League. Feet matter. Mechanics matter. Spin, accuracy, arm strength and touch matter. Decision-making matters. Size matters. Pocket presence matters. These are all details and where you can claim that I'm "over-analyzing" them...I'd prefer to over-analyze those details than to go by some general, vaguely whimsical "the guy can play" perception based mostly on stats and a trophy.

I think the details matter. I always have and I always will. Where you see this time of year being the time when we over-analyze the details, I see the exact opposite. This is a the time of the year where draft evaluation is MOST sensitive to results-based analysis rather than detail-based analysis. For instance, winning the Heisman trophy boosted RG3's stock tremendously. Now people can't stop talking about him. If you took a poll of Dol-Fans a week before the Heisman ceremony and polled Dol-Fans a week after the Heisman ceremony, I bet his "should we draft" percentage went up by 20% or more.

And yet, since when has winning the Heisman ever been a good indicator that this player is the best in the Draft?

Take Matt Barkley for instance. He beats Oregon and he douses UCLA. For a good 2 or 3 weeks after that, people couldn't stop talking about him. There are now two QBs in the Draft, not just Andrew Luck, etc. This is results-based analysis. Couple weeks later he's not playing in a bowl game, he's not wining the Heisman...he's going by the wayside.

Results-based analysis isn't for me. I prefer detail-based analysis, especially when you're trying to develop a vision for a guy doing what very few humans on this earth can do, which is play franchise level football at the quarterback position in the National Football League. Feet matter. Mechanics matter. Spin, accuracy, arm strength and touch matter. Decision-making matters. Size matters. Pocket presence matters. These are all details and where you can claim that I'm "over-analyzing" them...I'd prefer to over-analyze those details than to go by some general, vaguely whimsical "the guy can play" perception based mostly on stats and a trophy.

Fair enough. However, when people let small details overshadow whether a guy can play or not...that is not good. RGIII can play. Fit a system to fit his strengths and I think he takes off.

People let small details get in the way of Cam Newton too.

It is a balancing act for sure to dig into the details and be meticulous vs. over-analysis that is for sure.

Nice ck details are very important when picking a quaterback these days.

Fair enough. However, when people let small details overshadow whether a guy can play or not...that is not good. RGIII can play. Fit a system to fit his strengths and I think he takes off.

People let small details get in the way of Cam Newton too.

It is a balancing act for sure to dig into the details and be meticulous vs. over-analysis that is for sure.

It's all in how you look at it. Details are exactly what led me to view Cam Newton as being a few red flags short of being a once in a decade player at the position, but even with the red flags, totally worthy of the #1 overall pick. Small details BROUGHT me to the conclusion that the guy "can play".

People that let details get in the way of their Cam Newton analysis were often doing the exact opposite, not getting into ENOUGH detail. For instance, calling him a running quarterback based on him having run the ball 264 run attempts to 280 pass attempts. The problem is, that wasn't detailed ENOUGH. That was a vague statistic. I showed by use of DETAIL that when Auburn called a pass play, Cam Newton only scrambled for positive yardage something like 10 or 11% of the time, which was in line with the percentage of pass snaps that Aaron Rodgers scrambles for positive yardage.

That was not a detail "getting in the way" of Cam Newton. That was a detail that many people were MISSING on Cam Newton.

It's all in how you look at it. Details are exactly what led me to view Cam Newton as being a few red flags short of being a once in a decade player at the position, but even with the red flags, totally worthy of the #1 overall pick. Small details BROUGHT me to the conclusion that the guy "can play".

People that let details get in the way of their Cam Newton analysis were often doing the exact opposite, not getting into ENOUGH detail. For instance, calling him a running quarterback based on him having run the ball 264 run attempts to 280 pass attempts. The problem is, that wasn't detailed ENOUGH. That was a vague statistic. I showed by use of DETAIL that when Auburn called a pass play, Cam Newton only scrambled for positive yardage something like 10 or 11% of the time, which was in line with the percentage of pass snaps that Aaron Rodgers scrambles for positive yardage.

That was not a detail "getting in the way" of Cam Newton. That was a detail that many people were MISSING on Cam Newton.

The better counterargument for RGIII is probably Tim Tebow vs Cam Newton. Everyone thinks Tebow cannot throw but he still somehow magically wins games. At least until defenses find a solution, a strong running qb can make the need for traditional necessities like pinpoint accuracy and even reading defenses much less important,

The better counterargument for RGIII is probably Tim Tebow vs Cam Newton. Everyone thinks Tebow cannot throw but he still somehow magically wins games. At least until defenses find a solution, a strong running qb can make the need for traditional necessities like pinpoint accuracy and even reading defenses much less important,

I agree with you. But the thing Tim Tebow and Cam Newton have in common, that Robert Griffin does NOT have in common with them...is the size and strength. Tim Tebow is built like Peyton Hillis. Cam Newton is built like...Cam Newton.

Robert Griffin is built like who, exactly? He's 6'1" or 6'2" and while the listings CLAIM he's 220 lbs, that's pretty laughable. If he tips the scales at the Combine even close to that, it'll be with 8 pounds of water in his belly, having to pee so bad he might just let it go right on the floor while waiting in line like Isaac Hilton once did.

The argument that I've always made about this mythical Wildcat 2.0 player is that it's unlikely to happen because you need a guy that not only has the passing and decision making skill set of a pro bowl caliber quarterback, but also needs the physical running skill set of a pro bowl caliber running back. Cam Newton was the first guy I ever saw that had both of those things.

I'm still not ready to say Tim Tebow has those things. He's got the tailback skills, more so than RG3 because of his build and his agility, but the passing skills I'm not convinced about yet. Yes, the defense got tore up by Minnesota and Tebow found a way to be productive and to win the game. But if the defense is letting up 25 points I still think they lose probably 9 times out 10.

I think RGIII's comparison is Michael Vick...with a ton of character.

I think he is going to make a ton of plays from the pocket. Plus, his shortcomings can be worked on because he is a smart kid and very athletic.

He will end up being 2nd pick of the draft.

Schefter stated that NFL people think that RGIII is at least a top 15 pick, with many thinking he is in the top 10 and maybe top 5.

One personnel chief said he like him better than Andrew Luck..

The kid is a stud. Secret is out. lol...

Hopefully that personnel chief is with the Colts

I agree with you. But the thing Tim Tebow and Cam Newton have in common, that Robert Griffin does NOT have in common with them...is the size and strength. Tim Tebow is built like Peyton Hillis. Cam Newton is built like...Cam Newton.

Robert Griffin is built like who, exactly? He's 6'1" or 6'2" and while the listings CLAIM he's 220 lbs, that's pretty laughable. If he tips the scales at the Combine even close to that, it'll be with 8 pounds of water in his belly, having to pee so bad he might just let it go right on the floor while waiting in line like Isaac Hilton once did.

The argument that I've always made about this mythical Wildcat 2.0 player is that it's unlikely to happen because you need a guy that not only has the passing and decision making skill set of a pro bowl caliber quarterback, but also needs the physical running skill set of a pro bowl caliber running back. Cam Newton was the first guy I ever saw that had both of those things.

I'm still not ready to say Tim Tebow has those things. He's got the tailback skills, more so than RG3 because of his build and his agility, but the passing skills I'm not convinced about yet. Yes, the defense got tore up by Minnesota and Tebow found a way to be productive and to win the game. But if the defense is letting up 25 points I still think they lose probably 9 times out 10.

Build like Pat White

Did anyone catch what Chucky said about RGIII? On MNF he got brought up and Gruden was salivating over the chance to coach him. Saying that if he had him on his team it would be a lot of fun because he is an amazing football player.

Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought it was pretty funny how badly he looked like he wants to coach that kid.

I think RGIII's comparison is Michael Vick...with a ton of character.

I think he is going to make a ton of plays from the pocket. Plus, his shortcomings can be worked on because he is a smart kid and very athletic.

He will end up being 2nd pick of the draft.

I personally don't know how anyone can watch Mike Vick play against the Dolphins and then watch Robert Griffin, and say that the most apt comparison for Robert Griffin is Mike Vick. RG3 doesn't have near the arm Vick does, nor anything close to the feet. Michael Vick has the feet of a Pro Bowl running back, and he throws one of the best footballs in the NFL. If size and attitude weren't so constantly a problem for him, he'd probably be the best quarterback the game ever saw.

Back
Top Bottom