Adam Schefter's take on Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Schefter's take on Miami

Olbruck

|||||||||||||||
Reaction score
OH RICKY

The last time Ricky Williams carried the football in a regular-season game was Dec. 28, 2003, when the Dolphins beat the Jets 23-21 in Miami. But Williams now is on the verge of carrying it again.

His four-game suspension is over, and Williams can resume practicing with the team. He is expected to play Oct. 16 at Tampa Bay.

One of the subplots surrounding this game will be how much the Dolphins are going to use Williams, especially with the NFL's trading deadline coming Oct. 18, two days after the running back's first game back with Miami.

Chances are the Dolphins won't trade Williams. He has far more value to them than he does to another team. Even Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller said last week he would be in favor of keeping both Williams and Ronnie Brown, Miami's first-round pick. Two good backs are always better than one.

WAR EAGLES

While Williams returns to action, the Dolphins-Buccaneers game also could be billed as an Auburn Tigers reunion.

It will feature Brown, whom the Dolphins drafted with the second overall pick, versus Cadillac Williams, assuming he can recover from the foot and hamstring injuries that prevented him from playing Oct. 10 against the Jets.

There are those in Tampa who feel the Buccaneers would be better off resting Cadillac against the Dolphins because the following week is Tampa Bay's bye. Not playing in Week 6 would mean Cadillac could go into the repair shop until Oct. 30 -- a Week 8 game at San Francisco. That would give him two more full weeks to rest up injuries that are going to need to be healed for the Buccaneers to make the playoff push they want.

ADVANTAGE, DOLPHINS

Not only do the Dolphins have an advantage with healthier running backs, but they also have another advantage.

Miami's quarterbacks coach is Jason Garrett, who spent the 2003 training camp with the Bucs. Some within the Tampa Bay organization fear that Garrett knows the Buccaneers snap count and what they're trying to accomplish offensively.

It will be up to Tampa Bay to mix it up, and the Bucs will. But Garrett is tuned into Jon Gruden and the Buccaneers offense.

I think after people have seen Ricky and Ronnie on the field together for a while, there won't be much more talk about trading Ricky.

shouright said:
I think after people have seen Ricky and Ronnie on the field together for a while, there won't be much more talk about trading Ricky.

As long as we are getting Ricky for cheap we will keep him. As soon as paying him more money becomes an issue I expect there will be talk of trading him.

Why is there still even talk about tradin him!? I thought that talk died out.

K-Rob said:

It will never die out as long as he is on the roster. We should definitely keep him while we are paying him peanuts, though! ;)

K-Rob said:

There will always be talk of trading him as lonng as he is on the roster. I say we keep him as long as we are paying him peanuts, though! ;)

I don't believe Ricky is going anywhere this year or the next or the next. And I believe that Ricky will get a nice contract next year if this year pans out like Saban thinks it will. If R/R can give us a great running game which i believe they will then why would anyone want to trade Ricky. If Ricky plays good-great then he will be worth much more to us then in trading him. And I say this because other teams even if Ricky plays great will still be very learly of him. I believe that Ricky is here to stay and play the way he played befor his retirement.

It will be up to Tampa Bay to mix it up, and the Bucs will. But Garrett is tuned into Jon Gruden and the Buccaneers offense.
Its good to se that we have someone who knows what they can do.

hellsapoppin said:
I don't believe Ricky is going anywhere this year or the next or the next. And I believe that Ricky will get a nice contract next year if this year pans out like Saban thinks it will. If R/R can give us a great running game which i believe they will then why would anyone want to trade Ricky. If Ricky plays good-great then he will be worth much more to us then in trading him. And I say this because other teams even if Ricky plays great will still be very learly of him. I believe that Ricky is here to stay and play the way he played befor his retirement.

Unless the Dolphins get a 1st or 2nd for Ricky(which I doubt anyone will offer). Keep him and give him 150 carries/receptions per season,give him a salary of about 2.5 mill per season. Then even if he lasts only 2 or 3 more years,Brown will be pretty fresh going into his 4th season or so by the time Ricky is done.

phinz_fan said:
As long as we are getting Ricky for cheap we will keep him. As soon as paying him more money becomes an issue I expect there will be talk of trading him.
I don't think so. I think Ronnie Brown is versatile enough to pay both of them big money and still have both of them contribute in very significant ways, even at the same time.

I think Ricky would be very happy sitting on the sidelines making 1mill+ a year (who knows what it will inflate to but you get the idea). He obviously is one of the guys who could care less about being in the spot light. He claims money isn't a huge issue to him..but..who really knows. I'm sure if we worked away to clear his debt and him just being part of the team and not THE team he would be quite happy.

hellsapoppin said:

Yeah... that's it.

Pay top dollar for TWO NFL RB's in the same backfield. That is the opposite of spending precious cap dollars wisely.

The Dolphins won't pay Ricky much, and he really has little choice but to stay and honor the remainder of his contract.

If he doesn't.... there's always that nice little 8.6 million dollar judgment that Wayne can dangle at any moment's notice.

Back
Top Bottom