Added sting to the Dillon trade... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Added sting to the Dillon trade...

Smacks said:
Dillion playing against Miami doesn't scare me. Miami has shut down better running backs with much better OL than the Patisies. Now, the Patise playing against teams with average to poor run defenses is where Dillion will light up the rushing yards.
the funny thing is, they beat you twice w/ a lesser rb in Antwain Smith. I hope Dillon turns that locker room into telemundo when he get's a pimple in his a$$.

If Miami had gotten the butts whomped in those two games, I might be worried but they didn't. They lost when Mare missed 2 chip shots and in the snow and cold in Patsie land. Miami again will be very good at stopping the run and with the addtion of Reggie Howard in the secondary, I believe the Patsies will have a hard time throwing against the Phins. No sweep this year and it wouldn't surprise me if Miami swept them.

Dajesus said:
I am honestly glad that they got Dillion. I am not going to be the homer that sais he won't have sucsess in Boston. Much like Pats, Jets, and Bills fans trashed Ricky and Boston when we got them. The reason I am glad is it is going to let Bellicheck run the offense he feels more comfortable running witch would be run first and pass 2nd. They killed us with short passes, screen passes, and draws. This won't be their approach anymore. The Pats will be much more likely to try to run it down our throat. I have yet to see a team take that approach against our defense and be sucsessfull. Go thru the list of great back in the NFL, and look how little they did against our D. Holmes didn't hit 100 2 years ago, either did portis. Lewis didn't sniff 100 against us last year. I think James has 1 hundered yard game against us ever. I don't remember Martin hitting 100 in the past 3 years against us. I could go on and on with this list.

The only thing I don't like about this trade is now the Pats don't have to waste a 1st round pick on the garbage that is out there at RB this year,

I agree with you. There is not a RB in the league that Miami can't or hasn't stopped. I think maybe one back got 100 yards against us last year. I don't like the fact that now they can stack up there Defense through the draft. Giving Belichek Depth is not good.

Over the past few seasons, it seems NE and MIA have peaked at alternating paces. The problem is NE has done more in their PEAK years. While MIA has JUST piled up stats.
NE understands the bigger picture better. They know WHY certain games are more important than others. We have been so self involved with beating the Jets, Buf and NE that we have missed the big picture. I.E. being caught off guard with a loss in MIN. And losing a SNOOZER to HOU.
When we lose key games, we simply say "we can still get in IF"...
WTFC (and that's a WHO not a WHAT). We seem to only CARE about division games.
We ALWAYS say that we'll FIX IT and move on to the next game. WHAT ABOUT THIS GAME.
We need more focus on the big picture. To understand how "insignificant" details lead to a SB. Stats DON'T win SBs. TEAMS win SBs. We DON'T get it. NE DOES.
Having the BEST players does not mean you have the BEST TEAM.
As fans, we always think we are just 1 guy away. Fact is.... we can't see the elephant for the trunk.
It doesn't matter WHO NE has running the ball. It doesn't matter that we CAN stop EVERY RB in the league. What IS important is that we AREN'T winning the games we need to win.
I don't think NE has ANY reason to fear us. We need to take a reality break and start worrying about the other 31 teams in the league. Because, for 30+ years THEY have been winning SBs. We haven't.

I'm a PHIN PHAN and I approve this message.

Pass me a BEER and ..... WHERE'S the TYLENOL!

Dajesus said:
They killed us with short passes, screen passes, and draws. This won't be their approach anymore. The Pats will be much more likely to try to run it down our throat. I have yet to see a team take that approach against our defense and be sucsessfull.

Good post but this is were I disagree, Although the Pats upgraded their running game it doesn't meen they have to change their game plan against a team that it worked against. If short passes worked against us last year and we show that nothings change this season then go with what works.

With that being said it isn't like we got our as$es kicked by them, short passes and screens worked but barely, adding a legitimate running game makes those short passes and screens more dangerous. Not to mention the deep ball.

NathanHunt said:
Over the past few seasons, it seems NE and MIA have peaked at alternating paces. The problem is NE has done more in their PEAK years. While MIA has JUST piled up stats.
NE understands the bigger picture better. They know WHY certain games are more important than others. We have been so self involved with beating the Jets, Buf and NE that we have missed the big picture. I.E. being caught off guard with a loss in MIN. And losing a SNOOZER to HOU.
We ALWAYS say that we'll FIX IT and move on to the next game. WHAT ABOUT THIS GAME.
We need more focus on the big picture. To understand how "insignificant" details lead to a SB. Stats DON'T win SBs. TEAMS win SBs. We DON'T get it. NE DOES.
As fans, we always think we are just 1 guy away. Fact is.... we can't see the elephant for the trunk.
It doesn't matter WHO NE has running the ball. It doesn't matter that we CAN stop EVERY RB in the league. What IS important is that we AREN'T winning the games we need to win.
I don't think NE has ANY reason to fear us. We need to take a reality break and start worrying about the other 31 teams in the league. Because, for 30+ years THEY have been winning SBs. We haven't.

I have never heard it put like that, But I think you are 100% correct.

NathanHunt said:
We need to take a reality break and start worrying about the other 31 teams in the league. Because, for 30+ years THEY have been winning SBs. We haven't.

Nice post - however, we do not need to worry about the other teams - WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT OUR TEAM! If we got out and execute to our abilities, we will beat anyteam we play against. If we are worrying about the other team, hten we are not focused on our gameplan, therefore we are not playing to our abilities.

Once you start worrying about the other guy too much (Houston), players make comments like "This is just a practice game."

Worry about number 1 first, then everything else will fall into place!

Good point BFF. But, to continue the thought, I was implying that we need to shift our focus from JUST Buf, NE and NY to the other teams we play. It seems certain games we just don't care what happens. It's like they ARE practices. When we lose... it's like "Oh well, we lost. But, we are really pumped up for our game in 3 weeks."
It's BEYOND mind boggling.
I wish they would notify the Phans which games are scrimmages so we don't get so upset when we lose. Only to find out we really weren't worried about that game after all....

I mean.. I was JUST a practice game!

Hellion said:
Good post but this is were I disagree, Although the Pats upgraded their running game it doesn't meen they have to change their game plan against a team that it worked against. If short passes worked against us last year and we show that nothings change this season then go with what works.

With that being said it isn't like we got our as$es kicked by them, short passes and screens worked but barely, adding a legitimate running game makes those short passes and screens more dangerous. Not to mention the deep ball.

The Pats threw the ball 35-50 times every game last year. Their unpredictability killed many teams. That is going to change with the pick up of Dillion. He will get the ball 20-30 times a game. I think that will help Bates game plan against them. The short passes will be harder to complete because teams will playing them tighter and closer on D by bringing safeties up and playing their Wr at the line. That will mean Brady is going to have to complete more deep balls to open up the feild. I don't think the pats will have much luck with that.

GREAT... now Troy Brown will be running past Sam Madison EVERY PLAY... not just the game winning ones.

BTW, hasn't Bates used the SAME game plan for the past 30 years? Why change now?

Dajesus said:
The Pats threw the ball 35-50 times every game last year. Their unpredictability killed many teams. That is going to change with the pick up of Dillion. He will get the ball 20-30 times a game. I think that will help Bates game plan against them. The short passes will be harder to complete because teams will playing them tighter and closer on D by bringing safeties up and playing their Wr at the line. That will mean Brady is going to have to complete more deep balls to open up the feild. I don't think the pats will have much luck with that.

I would love nothing more than to see them try and run the ball at us more often. I see your point, with Dillion teams will crowd the line to prevent him from controlling the game. But they do have quality Wrs that can go deep and Brady has proved he can hit them deep when he needs to.

It may not be a problem for our defense because we have a strong secondary, but I can see them winning alot of games against lesser defenses.

AzDolfan543413 said:
Also NE picks right after us.

With both of us having some of the same needs (T/G, DT, & WR) I fully expect NE to trade up if a high value player starts to fall. Some of the possibilities could be OT Andrews, DT Wilfork, & WR Williams.
Even after trading Dillion the Pats have plenty of ammo to jump ahead of us.
:fire:

NathanHunt said:

well said, I live in south florida and here all the fins fans saying WHAT IF.. The fins won their fair share of games last year ,and should have made the playoffs with the record that they posted... but they lost the games they had to win, and they easily could have lost the Ravens game if were not for Jamal Lewis fumbling the ball down in dolphin territory...

the NE game for one, Mare missing those FG's come on, and we can go on and on. this year they have a good recv;r in Boston but the QB situation could cause problems like last year remember Griese (i might have spelled it wrong )

NE is the team to beat this year once again.... stay tuned...

Dajesus said:

I disagree. First of all the pats threw it 35 times or less in 13 of 16 regular season games last year. They only threw more than 40 two times and they never hit 50 times. Second of all the Patriots game plan. They ran the ball more against teams like the jets because they knew they could exploit that. Miami has an excellent run defense. They're not going to keep trying to run into a wall. They'll keep the defense honest, but they've had success getting Miami's linebackers into pass coverage, and I believe they'll continue to do so. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom