Added sting to the Dillon trade... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Added sting to the Dillon trade...

NathanHunt said:
And those 5-6 games were also LOST by other teams. I suppose they were great enough to lose to the Pats? Sober up!

A WIN is a WIN. PERIOD. Cup of coffee?

Who was AFC East Champ last year?
Who was AFC Champ last year?
Who was Super Bowl Champ last year?
Who beat Miami 2 times last year?

NOT THE PHINZ. We lost and didn't even go to the playoffs. So, sit down, shut up and pass the BEER!

Mod note: Nathan, good points, but... no one here gets to tell others to "shut-up", in jest or otherwise. Ease up on that. Thanks.

P4E

The Pats game plan on offense is to attack the defense's weakneses, and on defense to attack the team's strengths.

Dillon was signed because of his name too. His job is to add some meat to the play action and take advantage of teams with so-so run defenses. You Phin fans will still see plenty of Faulk and and the Trips formations.

tylaw4president said:
I disagree. First of all the pats threw it 35 times or less in 13 of 16 regular season games last year. They only threw more than 40 two times and they never hit 50 times. Second of all the Patriots game plan. They ran the ball more against teams like the jets because they knew they could exploit that. Miami has an excellent run defense. They're not going to keep trying to run into a wall. They'll keep the defense honest, but they've had success getting Miami's linebackers into pass coverage, and I believe they'll continue to do so. Just my opinion.

Wrong. I didn't check the stats before I posted, but now I did. Brady had 35 attempts 5 times 2 times more than 40. The most he threw was 47. He threw at least 30 times in every game except for 4 out of 16. In all 3 of his post season games he threw the ball over 35 times. His high being 48.

I am not saying Dillion will stop Weis from being creative, but Brady is going to throw the ball far less this season. Barring injury Corey will see the ball at least 20 times a game. Bill is from the same school as Parcells. He would much rather grind it out on the ground. Corey being there you will see alot more normal formations like 2 rbs, 1 te, 2 wrs or 1 back and 2 TEs. These formations will let teams crowd the line, and play tight on the WRs. Something you couldn't do last year when they came out with 3-4 wr sets. This will help stop the dink and dunk. I know Brady killed us in the first game with a long pass, but that was a fluke. I would take our chances with our secondary against the often injured Brown and who ever they have lined up on the other side. Branch, Patten, and Givens doesn't exactly strike fear in D cordinators. Even more so now they have lost 2 starters on the o-line.

Dajesus said:
The Pats threw the ball 35-50 times every game last year. Their unpredictability killed many teams. That is going to change with the pick up of Dillion. He will get the ball 20-30 times a game. I think that will help Bates game plan against them. The short passes will be harder to complete because teams will playing them tighter and closer on D by bringing safeties up and playing their Wr at the line. That will mean Brady is going to have to complete more deep balls to open up the feild. I don't think the pats will have much luck with that.

Good post, Dajesus. My buddy Nick was saying something along the same lines. His point was that Brady thrives on being a rythym passer, completing 6-10 yard throws, and doing it over and over again. By forcing him to throw less and taking him out of that rythym, we might see the skills that turned him into a 6th round pick in the first place.

The Patriots ran the ball 12th most in the league last year. Signing Dillon won't change their offense, it will just make it more effective when they run. It will make it more effective on 3rd and 1; it will make it more effective in the red zone where they had to pass on every down last year. Even running it 12th most, they only ranked 27th in rushing yards. I can't see a team with Dillon having such a disparity in carries-to-yards.

Also, the concern over the signing shouldn't necessarily be whether or not they match up better with Miami now, but more how they match up on the other 14 games of the season. Not all teams have a run D like Miami. Not all teams can stop the run. But as shown above, most teams were able to stop Antowain Smith.

ohall said:
... the Pats last year were without a doubt one of the luckiest teams I can ever remember. They won 5-6 games that they could have easily lost. Granted GOOD teams win games like that, however it's how they won those games that IMO puts a taint on their title last year. After saying all that, I have no doubt Dillion will workout for them, I think a change of teams will help him just like it helped our Ricky.

Oliver...

Oliver, that same excuse has been used for 30 years against the '72 Phins. Several of their games were close and "lucky". But when a team wins 14 in their regular season and wins the Superbowl, that's a legit team. It's just crazy to suggest otherwise.

I agree PhinPhan, its time for us all to admit it, the Pats are just that good. We should feel good about how closely we played them. They have the best Front Office and the best coach in the NFL. They keep finding ways to win on the field and ways to get it done during the offseason. Not only is it sick that they picked up Dillon, but they still have two first round picks. And they are the SB champs?

So much for the fans who say that we are a victim of our own success because it keeps us from getting picks. Smart FO people know how to get the people they want.

Dajesus said:
Wrong. I didn't check the stats before I posted, but now I did. Brady had 35 attempts 5 times 2 times more than 40. The most he threw was 47. He threw at least 30 times in every game except for 4 out of 16. In all 3 of his post season games he threw the ball over 35 times. His high being 48.

How am I wrong. I stated:

tylaw4president said:
I disagree. First of all the pats threw it 35 times or less in 13 of 16 regular season games last year.

week 1 28 times
week 2 44 times
week 3 25 times
week 4 38 times
week 5 31 times
week 6 21 times
week 7 34 times
week 8 33 times
week 9 35 times
week 10 bye
week 11 34 times
week 12 47 times
week 13 35 times
week 14 31 times
week 15 34 times
week 16 25 times
week 17 32 times

That 35 times or less in 13 of 16 regular season games.

Last edited by a moderator:
tylaw4president said:
How am I wrong. I stated:

week 1 28 times
week 2 44 times
week 3 25 times
week 4 38 times
week 5 31 times
week 6 21 times
week 7 34 times
week 8 33 times
week 9 35 times
week 10 bye
week 11 34 times
week 12 47 times
week 13 35 times
week 14 31 times
week 15 34 times
week 16 25 times
week 17 32 times

That 35 times or less in 13 of 16 regular season games.

My bad I didn't see you said 35 or less since my original post said he threw it 35+ times alot last season. I should have checked the stats before my first post, but Brady had alot of attempts last year. Averaged 33 per game not includeing the playoffs where he threw for 35 or more every game. I still think you will see far less pass attempts, far less 3 and 4 wr sets, and far less running plays with out a full back in the game. Most teams will see alot more standard formations with the addition of Dillion. I also think this will cause alot less short pass completions due to the defenses playing up. Dan Patrick and Sean Salisburry agreed with me on Dan's radio show the other day. I am not bashing the Pats, Brady, or Corey. I think Corey will probably have a great season in Boston, and the Pats are still the team to beet. I just don't see the trade hurting Miami in any way, at least not in head to head match ups.

The Pats had 2 undrafted free agents starting on the O-line in the Super Bowl and won. Pats were stung by injuries BADLY last year and that is why they struggled winning every game.

Dillon to the Patriots is not good for Maimi, Buffalo or the Jets. The Jets have now been locked to get swept by the Pats now. Jets cannot stop that Patriots offense with that pitiful defense.

This sucks. I had the Raiders as a lock to get Dillon and it was more than likely the Pats would not get Steven Jackson unless they gave up 2 1st rounders. Now they lose a 2nd rounder and still have 2 picks in 1st and 3 picks in first 2 rounds.

Pats are going to get excellent players in the draft. They know how to draft. Just look at their 2003 draft. Very, Very productive draft class. Simply amazing.

Props to them for improving their offense big time. Dillon is light years better than Antowain Smith.

PhinPhan1227 said:
Oliver, that same excuse has been used for 30 years against the '72 Phins. Several of their games were close and "lucky". But when a team wins 14 in their regular season and wins the Superbowl, that's a legit team. It's just crazy to suggest otherwise.

That's me crazy! :rolleyes:

Oliver...

NathanHunt said:
GREAT... now Troy Brown will be running past Sam Madison EVERY PLAY... not just the game winning ones.

Cmon now. Sam Madison is a little bit better in man coverage than Brock Marion (although when a WR gets 9 full seconds to run before the ball hits his hands, it's pretty darn tough anyway).

Seriously guys, the difference between NE and Miami last year was at QB and OL. We were not outcoached. Our defense played extremely well. We just didn't have great blocking or QB play. And yet we still had chances to win both games.

I respect the hell out of New England. But they are not light years ahead of us.

Back
Top Bottom