AFC wildcard mini-update (looks good) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC wildcard mini-update (looks good)

Positive thinking Baby!!!
Both teams we will be hard to crack, but work Ricky, those 2 to 3 yard carries payoff in the 2nd half, and those carries become slowly 5 to 6 yards in the 3rd and then some 10 to 20 yarders in the fourth. Jay can make enough plays on 3rd and short to keep some drives going in a get FG here and there, maybe a Td, then Ricky runs them over in the Fourth. The D holds there O to 10-17 pts. Game over dolphins beat the Cowboys 20 - 13, then whoop up on the Pats 27 - 17.

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

i love the way you think, but the dallas game will be tough...and the NE game will be an all out war

Philadelphia isn't going to be a picnic either. The most you can say about winning the last two is that it prevented Miami from falling out of the race. It's these next three that will establish whether the Fins are a contender or a pretender.

Of the three, one win keeps us barely alive, two is what we really need, and three would obviously speak for itself.

Jets, and the Jills will be tough.

Jet knowing they wont go on to the playoffs, but can stop our hopes will be a nightmare for us.

I still think the team finishes 10-6, but certainly anything can happen. Great post and great research. I usually don't figure that stuff out until there's a week or two left in the season, although I do have a file where I am keeping track of all the AFC teams' records and remaining schedules.

(via the ‘head-to-head sweep’ rule).

No such thing as a head to head sweep rule!

If three teams in a conf. are tied at the end of the season, head to head is thrown out. It goes to record in the conf.

Just though I'd help.

I think the Fins finish at 9-7 and the Pats walk away with the division

Originally posted by Billsfan
(via the ‘head-to-head sweep’ rule).

No such thing as a head to head sweep rule!

If three teams in a conf. are tied at the end of the season, head to head is thrown out. It goes to record in the conf.

Just though I'd help.

It can apply in a three-way tie (or more) for a wildcard, depending on what games those teams have played against each other, and their outcomes. Quoting from NFL.com:

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

For a three-way tie within the division, you are also incorrect. You do not throw out head-to-head games. You just toss out the three teams' games against the team not in the tiebreak, and compared records in the others. Here it is:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

Tiebreak rules at NFL.com

But thanks for the help anyway.

The Pats fan meant how could you get them 5 losses... On the entire season

While we're on the topic, here is how the head-to-head sweep rule plays out in a real (potential) scenario:

Miami, Denver, Baltimore tie for a wildcard. This year, Miami and Denver did not play, but Baltimore played both of the others.

Had Baltimore lost both those games, it would have been swept and eliminated from the tiebreak (Miami and Denver would proceed to the next tiebreak).

Had Baltimore won both those games, it would win the tiebreak, eliminating both Miami and Denver.

Instead, what happened is Baltimore split those games, losing to Miami but beating Denver. Because of this, the 'head-to-head sweep' tiebreak would not apply. All three teams would advance to the next tiebreak step: AFC record.

This is how Miami, despite beating Baltimore, could lose a wildcard tiebreak to the Ravens -- and how Baltimore, despite beating Denver, could lose it to the Broncos.

For those who remember when Miami seemed in contention for a playoff bye last year, this is the same rule that could have cost Miami the bye to Oakland, in spite of the Dolphins having beat the Raiders. (The same tiebreak procedures apply to ranking the playoff teams.)

I'm not saying this is likely, just explaining how it works.

Clump does salary caps. I do tiebreaks. God knows why.

Originally posted by J-E-T-S
I think the Fins finish at 9-7 and the Pats walk away with the division

I dont see the fins going 5-0 nor 4-1 they have to play NE and BUff away

Dallas is going to win, Parcells will out coach Wanny

Philly is tough with Mcnab in full sync....

man can u imagine if the last game of the season agianst the fins

means something

:eek:

Originally posted by nyrican

I dont see the fins going 5-0 nor 4-1 they have to play NE and BUff away

Dallas is going to win, Parcells will out coach Wanny

Philly is tough with Mcnab in full sync....

man can u imagine if the last game of the season agianst the fins

means something

:eek:

I am hoping for 3-2 or better in the last 5.....and the last game of the season will mean something, because it always does.....it's Jets-Dolphins.

I love it

What is great about this scenario is that the Fins will really have to fight their way in, not just fall into the playoffs (which of course is a possibility.) I would rather know where we stand against good teams at the end of the year. If we lose to Dallas, Philly and NE, ora combination of 2, and we do not get into the playoffs, no whining allowed, we didn't deserve to be there.

But if we win 2 of 3 of those games and beat the bills and Jets, I will feel very good about our chances.

If we lose to the Bills or the Jets, regardless of what happens in the other 3 games, then we go nowhere in the playoffs. Just a feeling. Championship teams beat teams like the bills and jets at the end of the year.

Go Phins
Texphinphan

Back
Top Bottom