After Many Sleepless Nights, I’ve Finally Pinpointed How the Miami Dolphins Angered the Football God

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Feb 7, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I still say it was 1971 after the SB loss to the Cowboys, Shula sold his soul to the devil for the undefeated season. Only in 2000, Shula had left the team when Beelzebub came to collect and he unleashed his wrath on the team instead.

[​IMG]

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/2...-the-miami-dolphins-angered-the-football-gods

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Indigofire11 and Pandarilla like this.
  2. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

The only time it lingers is when it gets brought up on Finheaven. Otherwise I would never think about it. We had our asses whipped plenty of times in the playoffs with Marino at the helm.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Ren, ladeback, 1 dol fan and 2 others like this.
  3. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Yes! I was blessed to witness Marino’s entire career. I got to see him play in person over two dozen times. I have a million great memories about the man and the team during his time under center. I don’t spend a single moment lingering on the sad day that his career ended.

4. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Let's be honest, while the Marino years were great as far as watching him play...the team was still pretty average, maybe above average. I think we had a nice 3-year span from 83-85 and after that, it was very hit or miss.

Goin` Deep, royalshank and Agua like this.
  5. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

They were hit or miss. But under Marino was the last time this team was a legitimate contender, the last time this team won 12 games in a season, the last time this team made it past the divisional round of the playoffs, and the last time they won the division more than once every ten years or so. And watching one of the greatest to ever play quarterback was a privilege in and of itself.

Disappointing as they may have been, they were the glory years compared to everything that’s come afterwards.

6. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

Me neither, I remember the incredible comeback win in Seattle the week before. We were lucky to even be in the playoffs that year. Had no running game, and Marino was playing hurt. Willed us to victory one last time and ended the road playoff loss streak.

Albert Romano and TheJetsBlow like this.
  7. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

"Curse of The Tequesta"

The stadium is literally built on an ancient Indian burial ground. That's all you really need to know when considering how relatively futile our existence has been since moving over from the Orange Bowl.

8. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

I agree. Simply look at our seasons in "Joe Robbie"

johngarry and TheJetsBlow like this.
  9. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow Banned Hammered

Yep. Not enough people seem to realize this, or talk about it. Ross should honestly arrange for some type of peace offering ceremony to the Tequesta to see if it'll appease them, considering we're not moving into another stadium anytime soon....

1 dol fan, johngarry and Vaark like this.
  10. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

This is such a crock of ****.

The team's been bad because Shula drafted like a dickhead, JJ ran his offense like a dickhead, Dave Wannstedt coached, picked personnel, and ran the team like a dickhead, Nick Saban was the human embodiment of a dickhead, Cam Cameron had no dick, Bill Parcells was a mercenary dickhead using us as a laboratory for his dickhead experiment, Joe Philbin literally looked like a dickhead, and uhhh yeah I don't know.

CaneHammer, ChrisTRD, BobDole and 9 others like this.
  11. montequi

montequi Middle Timer

I see a lot of parallels between the Dolphins with Marino and the Chargers with Phillip Rivers. Both were pro-bowl QBs for the same team and considered elite for much of their careers, but both seemed cursed by losses at the wrong time. At least Marino made it to one Superbowl.

We're all left wondering what if:

1. Shula had fired Olivadotti when he should have
    2. Andre Franklin didn't go down with a career-ending injury during Marino's rookie season
    3. JJ wouldn't have completely changed the offense when he came in (and just concentrated on defense)

I guess we'll never know.

12. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

feels more like, we held onto Shula too long and he held onto crappy defensive coordinators. oh, and bad drafts, and draft picks dying? yeah, a lot of bad luck. maybe we are cursed.

13. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

I suppose, if you believe in ghosts and all the other spooky thing you see on scooby doo :laugh The Marlins and Canes didn't have issues with Sitting Bull interrupting their season. Personally I blame it on the scabs. The 1987 scabs that cut opening ribbon on our shiny new stadium. I mean Kyle Mackey was the starting qb, Kyle Mackey. Yeah we won the game but what a horrible roster kick off the grand show.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198710110mia.htm

14. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I just think the law of averages leads every team towards a .500 career winning % so all those years of being one of the winningest teams in league history meant there was going to come a time to pay the piper. Just like all those years that the Patriots were at the bottom of the division while the Dolphins, Bills and even the Jets for a brief period were at the top meant that the time would come when the Patriots would win a lot. Based on that theory we should be preparing for a long Browns and Lions dynasty really soon.

Fins1971 likes this.
  15. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

This 100%...also i can't eat my banana for lunch anymore.

16. multistage

multistage Well-Known Member

Now this one got me laughing with both the humor and the accuracy.

17. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

18. TheJetsBlow

The team is cursed. There's always someone who has to throw cold water on this kind of stuff, but curses in sports exist and this franchise is most certainly cursed.

1 dol fan likes this.
  19. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

Saving this to remember to nominate it for post of the year

1 dol fan likes this.
  20. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

But we were a threat to win the super bowl every year much like Rodgers and Green Bay are today

21. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Dude, the Bears also hired Dave Wannstedt, who imploded their franchise for at least a decade. Are the Bears cursed, too?

22. TheJetsBlow

I'm just saying- look at the total history of the franchise since they left the OB. Look at the totality of it- the comical bad luck. Of course horrible mismanagement is the problem, but there's seemingly been a black cloud over the franchise for years. There's a systemic culture issue that's infected the franchise for decades. I mean, some of the stuff that happens to the Dolphins isn't just incompetence- the kind of bad luck that's befallen the franchise over the years is hard to explain.

1 dol fan likes this.
  23. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Not really, never had a defense or real running game. Man, we have low expectations as a fan base.

24. gregorygrant83

Not including his rookie season or the year he got injured and only played 5 games, Marino had 8 other seasons where he won 9 games or less, so there were some middle of the pack years.

25. gregorygrant83

Don't know if it's low expectations or just being realistic. There are 32 teams so there's a 50% chance you'll be in the 9 thru 24 range. Only a 25% chance of being in either the bottom 8 or top 8.

26. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

That is so untrue.

85 beat the eventual Champs, missed SB due to loss to NE and turnovers in Conference championship
    90 beat by Bills (Nemesis) in Playoffs, Could have beaten Oakland and Giants that year. Top 5 defense.
    92 beat by Bills again in Conference Championship. Not sure we could have beaten Dallas but we would have done better than 51-3, had top 10 d that year also.

There are 3 where we really had a chance.

27. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I wish the Seahawks drove down the field and kicked the winning field goal the week before. It would have sucked at the time but we all got one last glimpse of vintage Marino when he put together the go ahead drive. Going out with that would have been better.

28. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator

can we like arrange some kind of fan ceremony in the lot, or touch Garfinkel to see if he'd ok something mid-field (barefoot & no fire)

TheJetsBlow and 1 dol fan like this.
  29. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

After our playoff season in 2016, I figured our Tequesta Curse was over.

Before the remodeling of the stadium, I had visions of semi trucks filled with cash backing up to the tribe chiefs door with Ross riding on top holding a greeting card. Inside the card, it reads like this:

[​IMG]

TheJetsBlow likes this.
  30. Viggen

Viggen Well-Known Member

I would say this isn’t a bad readout, but if Shula had access to Free Agency like there is today, Marino would have had rings like Brady. Shula went after Emmitt Smith, and he got Keith Jackson. His drafting was a downfall, and not holding onto, nor bringing back Arnsbarger were costly non moves.

31. TheJetsBlow

I won't consider the curse to be over until the Dolphins win the Super Bowl. Sports curses aren't eradicated until championships are won.

1 dol fan likes this.
  32. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Has building through free agency while having bad drafts ever worked in the modern era since free agency began? I think ideally building through the draft works because if done exceptionally well it can allow you to acquire blue chip talent for cheap thus giving you a 4 year window where you can have 4-5 elite players on the cheap which means you can spend on a couple of high priced free agents to put your team in a good place for a super bowl run.

33. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

Yes we had no defense or running game much like Green Bay today. But we could beat anyone any given day because Marino.