After The QB...... Who To Look For? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After The QB...... Who To Look For?

Dolfanfrank70

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Dolfans,

After the QB is picked with assuming the first #1, where do you feel they should draft next?

What type players are they looking for on the Dline, LB and which players should fans be paying attention to?

Thanks

IT is important to make sure your young QB has early success and not required to carry the team for the first couple of years. Let them gain experience and confidence.

O-line should be a priority and I would expect 2 for the next 5 picks in days 1 and 2 to do towards that position (at least that is what I would do). Center is quickly becoming the second most important position on the o-line, Finding a smart player who can make the line calls consistently, has solid athleticism, and can anchor well against interior pressure. As those other two first move into the 20's I feel like one could be used on one of the excellent centers available this year.

Tackle is another priority...where you draft that player depends on value...I can see grabbing one early in the 2nd round if one falls.

I would also look at RB, but only in the late 2nd round/3rd...no earlier, but would be ok waiting until day 3 depending on how the draft plays out.

The offense would be the priority, but I also think you need to add in a DB and edge guy at some point as well.

This is where I think F/A will play a huge role in what Miami does in the draft. Seeing how Miami is now getting production from players like Parker, Gesicki and Williams' before his injury. It wouldn't surprise me that Miami concentrated on the Offensive Line during F/A to bolster the unit in an attempt to improve the running game and overall play of the unit. If Miami can successfully sign a couple of starting type Linemen, it may make it easier to Trade draft assets in an attempt to secure their franchise QB? Which could leave Miami with less draft picks to use on prospects. If Miami is able to sign a CB in F/A, it could also alter what they do. Which would leave Edge Rusher or DE as the main position I'd think they'd try to solve.

I would say the 2nd 1st rounder is a pass rush guy. For some reason we are decent at getting teams to 3rd and medium/long but have no rush to make that a difficult down. This is a great spot where a number of versatile guys are that can fit the scheme. Though I will say if one of the top corners fell I wouldn’t be surprised if we took them here. Putting another good boundary guy with X, Rowe now a safety and Needham showing skill in the slot might turn the group into a pretty formidable one.

I’m with FSU on my next choice 3rd 1st rounder I’d say interior o line. I think some good tackles will be available in the early 2nd but with how some of the line has played it’s not a complete overhaul needed so get the Oklahoma or Wisconsin kid here and a T early 2nd keep Boehm and maybe you grab a guy in FA if necessary personally I think Thueny (sp) out of NE will be a huge target for the FO

Edge... edge...edge.

You don't win big games in the NFL without it.

It's funny but this thread here with the replays is where you can see that the FO would never be able to please everyone. Ask 20 people here how to build the team and you'll get 20 different answers.

Now what I'll say doesn't mean is the way I would do it but a few things I've seen and heard from Grier/Flores and also the way NE has done their draft over the years.......I do not expect us to draft a center or a guard in the first round. I can see us maybe getting a guard or a center in free agency but even that I'm not sure about. Last time NE drafted a center was in 2015.....in the 4th round.

Also, NE has not drafted a guard or a center since 2016.....in any round.

Now I'm not saying we'll do every single thing they do but I believe this staff feel they can put out there a good O-line without using high picks in the inside of that line.

DE- None that I see worth taking in the first round other than Young so if we go QB first then of course Young won't be there for our next pick.

After a QB what could make sense to THIS staff would be DB(either corner or safety) and OT.

I won't rule out them draft a WR in the first round tho this is a deep class so that could wait till the 2nd round. If we do draft one high, I'd expect one with top speed as we already have two big WR's(Parker and Williams)

2nd round is where I can see them looking for a DE/Edge. There's no doubt we can use a pass rusher but I'd not expect your traditional DE but rather and Edge/OLB type that can line up in different spots and do different things.

Free agency will go a long way as to what we do on draft week.

We also need a RB and the 2nd or 3rd round is where I'd expect them to draft one unless they feel there's one they can't pass on.

If this F/O truly follows the New England Blueprint, DB's and more DB's will be the theme throughout the draft. Offensive Linemen are more likely to be drafted in the later rounds, like New England does every year. There's a strong possibility Miami trades 2 of their 1st round picks in 2020 in an attempt to secure Thier Guy at QB. The Indy game this past weekend highlights the need for Olinemen, especially ones who can consistently open holes in the running game. This is where I can see F/A playing the biggest part in what they do moving forward.

We need kids that make a difference -- all positions are OPEN

for business IMO! Beyond that -- it's really difficult to project

what players will have the biggest impact on any specific team.

For R1 I'd like something like QB, CB or Edge, and OL (C or T).

It will be really interesting if Mister Grier can pull off another

swindle for us -- perhaps via trade down -- I think this draft is

pretty deep and lots of value outside of R1. And I am glad

Mister Grier is consulting with Mister TedSlimmJr!

:lol:

We need kids that make a difference -- all positions are OPEN

for business IMO! Beyond that -- it's really difficult to project

what players will have the biggest impact on any specific team.

For R1 I'd like something like QB, CB or Edge, and OL (C or T).

It will be really interesting if Mister Grier can pull off another

swindle for us -- perhaps via trade down -- I think this draft is

pretty deep and lots of value outside of R1. And I am glad

Mister Grier is consulting with Mister TedSlimmJr!

:lol:

Just mean the coaches will like him - plays from a 2pt stance and moves around to attack specific gaps. Understands how to blitz and delay the loop on twists, stunts, gains, etc. Also has the ability to drop in coverage and carry TE's down the seam. Just extremely versatile and one of the best tacklers I've seen. When he gets near you it's over.

Grier will remain oblivious to any of this. They'll just dial the local weather and hand Grier the phone and tell him to keep working on trades. Keep him occupied.

I would only be tempted to get a WR if it's a stud that can work the slot in this offense, like maybe a Laviska Shenault.

But I really do think it can go on the back burner a little bit because Chad O'Shea (and Josh Boyer) seem like what they REALLY want at their respective positions, is low pedigree guys who they can sift through quickly without fear of running afoul of bending anyone's nose the wrong way about how much it cost to get the player, until they find a guy they can teach to do it their way. Josh Boyer wants to find a bunch of J.C. Jacksons and Malcolm Butlers, and Chad O'Shea wants to train on a bunch of Julian Edelmans.

Notice Allen Hurns has become a starter since Preston Williams went out.

The question becomes, at what positions do we need "classic" talent. I think we need that desperately at the OT positions. I think we need that at the DL positions.

We have some DLs in Godchaux and Wilkins.

We have no OTs.

So to me, choice made. Go get a pair of OTs with all due haste.

I'm a line guy...

I'd grab Chase Young in a hot second (if a available), then OT, OT to finish round one.

Then grab a QB and a RB in round 2.

Of course, I dont get paid to make these decisions... lol... I dont even try to do amateur theater via podcasts.

OT and CB make the most sense in RD 1. WR makes the most sense in RD 2.

I seldom disagree with you but I couldn't disagree more here, especially with cornerback. That is a bust position. First round players are incredibly overvalued. I mentioned that a month or two ago, after some related research by a very sharp analytics-based draft guy at Footballsfuture.com. He has exchanged private messages with me, many of them devoted to this topic. He couldn't believe the awful return on investment for first round cornerbacks in recent years, especially since it is seldom if ever mentioned. It's like fans and analysts don't want to believe that position has performed so brutally, in an increasingly passing league.

Since I made that post, you can add Conley and Hargreaves to the list.

Offensive tackle is less objectionable. They tend to pan out. Overall I prefer offensive line later. I don't want to spend first round picks on athletes of that caliber. No reason to overreact to Miami's inability to identify offensive linemen in recent years. The gaps team to team are not nearly as dramatic as conventional wisdom allows. Watch Miami/Colts last week as a novice and you'd never know one team's offensive line was highly touted and the other supposedly a disaster.

New England's offensive line approach has been proper.

Back
Top Bottom