Votes: 12 5.2%
  • 1 Waddle.. 2 Smith.... 3 Chase

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

MrChadRico

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
After realizing that Pitts's draft stock has gone nuclear and he's likely going to be taken before we get to pick him at #6. I re-watched film on Smith, Chase and Waddle today. I have a few take aways.

1) Smith's 2020 season was amazing..... but if Waddle hadn't gotten hurt, I think things would be a bit different today. Waddle is the most explosive player in this draft, his speed rivals Tyreek Hill, he also has better hands than Hill did comming out of college. In 3 years I wouldn't be surprised if Waddle was the best WR in this class.

2) All 3 of them project to good if not great pros. Chase isn't as fast as Waddle but hes fast enough and makes the game look easy. Hes smooth and has great hands. He looked amazing at his proday and I have no doubt he will be a NFL starter day 1.

3) Smith is a Unicorn. His tape, his stats and his ability to catch anything thrown his way makes him look.... well unbelievable. His last year in college was so good, the expectations for him to come into the NFL right away and contribute on a high level are going to be immense by the fanbase that drafts him....

It reminds me alot of Reggie Bush. Although he had a good NFL career, his size ultimately prevented him from ever living up to his pre-draft hype. Im worried Smith will be very good in the NFL, but will never reach the talent Waddle or Chase will be in the NFL.

I made a poll for everyone to rank the 3 but before voting, I humbly request that you do what i did today and take 15 mins to watch some quick videos on the top 3 WRs in the draft because it's looking ever more likley that we will be getting a WR at #6 and not Pitts..... sadly.

I've flip-flopped from what my opinion was a few months ago. Now I'd prefer Chase to Smith, with that said I would be ecstatic with either. I personally wouldn't be terribly happy with Waddle at 6. I totally agree that he has a rare skillset but I'm just not crazy about taking someone so raw at the position this high.

Also, I know I'm the minority here but I'd be happier with Chase than I would be with Pitts. No doubt Pitts is a tremendous prospect but I feel more comfortable with the production from Chase.

I like all 3 and they are all pretty close for me. I think Chase is the true #1 dominant WR. I like Waddle's versatility on offense and special teams and of course his game breaking speed. And Smith is just fun to watch, so silky smooth and such good route runner. I want to rank Smith 3rd because of his scrawny arms and legs but I can't bet against Smith because he was just too dominant. I would be thrilled for any and we are guaranteed to get one so that's exciting.

It’s the 4 WRs for me. Bateman is missing from this list.

I’d be shocked if smith is long term elite at his size. He’s maxed out and benefitted from a few years of QB play and offensive make up that he’ll never sniff again.

I root for smith though, and he’s talented as they come. Waddle is electric w/ the ball in his hands but he’s not tyreek in his routes. Not yet at least. The similarities are once the ball is in his hands. Rule of thumb: don’t go chasing tyreek hill. Draft jaylen waddle bc of what his game consists of, don’t try and re-create tyreek hill or expect tyreek hill results. You’ll fail

More sketched by Waddle snapping a tendon than Smith. Smith runs gracefully and in complete control. Waddle looks tweeked out. Somebody could step on his achilles and he'd be out a while.

1. Smith, 2. Waddle, 3. Chase for me.

Smith #1 because I can’t look past his production. He beat the best CBs in college football over and over again even when everyone knew the ball was coming his way. His route running, hands, and agility are dominant, and I think he’s the kind of guy you can trust to get open on basically every drop back. I don’t worry about his size because unlike RBs (and the Reggie Bush comparison), he’s not going to need to take a pounding. You can’t touch WRs down the field anymore, and you can barely even have your safety light them up once they catch the ball. So long as Smith can beat press (which he annihilated in college), he will be fine.

Waddle #2 because of his speed. He’s not as complete a WR as Smith, and I think he could be neutralized by CBs with elite speed. But he’s a game breaker. He probably lands somewhere between Will Fuller and Tyreek Hill in the NFL—which is obviously very good.

Chase #3, but he’s also elite. He makes me a little nervous because he’s not a blazer (phony Pro Day 40 time notwithstanding), and he doesn’t really have the size to bully NFL CBs the way he did college CBs. He also only had one year of elite production and did it with a QB who put up maybe the best passing year in college football history. He doesn’t really have one elite ability (like Smith’s route running or Waddle’s speed) that makes me sure he’ll excel. All that said, he’s an elite prospect and could easily turn out the best of the bunch.

1. Smith, 2. Waddle, 3. Chase for me.

Smith #1 because I can’t look past his production. He beat the best CBs in college football over and over again even when everyone knew the ball was coming his way. His route running, hands, and agility are dominant, and I think he’s the kind of guy you can trust to get open on basically every drop back. I don’t worry about his size because unlike RBs (and the Reggie Bush comparison), he’s not going to need to take a pounding. You can’t touch WRs down the field anymore, and you can barely even have your safety light them up once they catch the ball. So long as Smith can beat press (which he annihilated in college), he will be fine.

Waddle #2 because of his speed. He’s not as complete a WR as Smith, and I think he could be neutralized by CBs with elite speed. But he’s a game breaker. He probably lands somewhere between Will Fuller and Tyreek Hill in the NFL—which is obviously very good.

Chase #3, but he’s also elite. He makes me a little nervous because he’s not a blazer (phony Pro Day 40 time notwithstanding), and he doesn’t really have the size to bully NFL CBs the way he did college CBs. He also only had one year of elite production and did it with a QB who put up maybe the best passing year in college football history. He doesn’t really have one elite ability (like Smith’s route running or Waddle’s speed) that makes me sure he’ll excel. All that said, he’s an elite prospect and could easily turn out the best of the bunch.
Good analysis.

I like wide receivers who know how to get open. That's Smith all day long and the main reason I put him first among the three.

Chase doesn't get that kind of separation, but I love his after the catch ability. He has that second gear when he needs it and is really good at winning the 50/50 plays. The most physical of the three, although Smith is a little underrated in that area.

Waddle has the added dimension of being a dynamic kick returner and is the fastest, most electric game changer of the three.

Good analysis.

I like wide receivers who know how to get open. That's Smith all day long and the main reason I put him first among the three.

Chase doesn't get that kind of separation, but I love his after the catch ability. He has that second gear when he needs it and is really good at winning the 50/50 plays. The most physical of the three, although Smith is a little underrated in that area.

Waddle has the added dimension of being a dynamic kick returner and is the fastest, most electric game changer of the three.
I read ppl talk about how good of a returner he is but I don’t think that should even be in the discussion of why your taking a receiver top 10.

1. Smith and it is a tough decision. Overall I'm not bothered by the height and weight thing as it is a poor tool of evaluation. Kevin white was supposed to be a force and he washed out. Smith not only improved year to year, he so took on some talented corners and didn't back down. He is tough, smart and a polished. Give me a talented route runner every single day and Smith is much better than the other teo.

2. Chase. Chase has all the tools I'm looking for as a top reciever. Major issue for me is he struggles against press and doesn't have good short area burst. People talk about Smith being out muscled, but chase will need to improve short burst to get open in the NFL. I would have loved to see him play this year without that stacked tigers roster to remove pressure.

3. Waddle. The speed and ability to make plays is something every team wants. Not as smooth as a runner shorter than Smith. Everybody wants tyreek hill 2.0 but I don't see it in waddle. Not a savvy route runner, not physical after contact, he's a body catcher as well. There are some serious warts in his game that he needs to correct to be anywhere close to tyreek hill. Another thing that bothers me is playing in the Championship, not a smart move at all. There was no reason for him to be in there from a coaching and player side, going in there even when the game was in hand was real confusing. There is grit/toughness and then there is arrogance. It was more arrogance than anything

Back
Top Bottom