Ahmed re-signs with Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ahmed re-signs with Miami

I get what you are saying. But for Ahmed the minimum salary would be 1.01 million. Any vet with 3 or more years is now over a million. Updated chart if you want to look at since I know you are a big cap buff.

All true...

A true minimum salary player is at 750k this year... so I was just ball-parking it.
Another poster mentioned that the press release said he could make 'up to 1.8m' which is also true... some of these bonuses are easy to earn and some aren't.
It's just a guess, but I would suppose that Ahmed's agent wouldn't be adding a pro bowl bonus or anything like that... I am assuming that his conditionals are things like a workout bonus or a per-game fee.

All true...

A true minimum salary player is at 750k this year... so I was just ball-parking it.
Another poster mentioned that the press release said he could make 'up to 1.8m' which is also true... some of these bonuses are easy to earn and some aren't.
It's just a guess, but I would suppose that Ahmed's agent wouldn't be adding a pro bowl bonus or anything like that... I am assuming that his conditionals are things like a workout bonus or a per-game fee.
Ya I knew you were just guessing I just looked it up like a few days ago and was like what no 600k deals anymore for UDFA. So basically any vet signing is now just say a cool million.

Ya I knew you were just guessing I just looked it up like a few days ago and was like what no 600k deals anymore for UDFA. So basically any vet signing is now just say a cool million.
I've been using that as a default for a while now... it's just easier and it isn't all that far wrong. Hell, some of those vet contracts actually cost less you'd think. I know that Jenkins' contract actually costs us a bit less than we pay him on some sort of NFL veteran program that I've never taken the time to understand.

This is good info! I didn’t know this. And makes me feel a lot better about his upside. 4.32 is elite speed, even at the NFL level.
Honestly, he could have a very similar career to Mostert; both “undersized”, speedsters that went undrafted. To put it in comparison, Mostert had 41 carries for 297 yards in his first 3 NFL seasons. Ahmed has had 141 carries for 532 yards in his first 3 seasons. Ahmed was 21 as a rookie whereas Mostert was 23, so he has a lot of years left in his prime. Not saying this is some incredible signing, but Ahmed is a respectable 3rd option going into the season.

Honestly, he could have a very similar career to Mostert; both “undersized”, speedsters that went undrafted. To put it in comparison, Mostert had 41 carries for 297 yards in his first 3 NFL seasons. Ahmed has had 141 carries for 532 yards in his first 3 seasons. Ahmed was 21 as a rookie whereas Mostert was 23, so he has a lot of years left in his prime. Not saying this is some incredible signing, but Ahmed is a respectable 3rd option going into the season.
I've always thought Ahmed was at least as good as Gaskin... and took a bit of grief for that from the board's biggest nut... :)

He's quick... if undersized. I doubt if he's ever a starter, but you can do worse for a situational back.

I do think that it often takes a bit for a RB to adjust to running in a wide zone scheme. It's less 'run to daylight' and a bit more 'run to where the hole will be'. You have to feel that flow to be able to anticipate where that hole will be. I do agree that Ahmed has the physical skill set to become one of those late bloomers in this scheme if his eyes can learn to anticipate the alleys.

I think if we chose Ahmed for 1.8 mil instead of Wilson for 2.5 mil, then we made a mistake.

we could still bring Wilson back as well........as of right now we only have one RB under contract

I hope so. Our back up will be important if we resign Mostert and/or Wilson since they are both injury prone. I think an undrafted free agent RB would have been the better cheaper choice for a 3rd or 4th string RB but we all know Chris Grier and his great eye for talent.

Let Wilson walk.

I prefer Mostert over him. And if Wilson is the #2…ouch

I guess they might pay $2.5M for the #4 but that would be a mistake. Just like it was last year with Gaskins

I wouldn't get too excited one way or the other. I doubt there's much guaranteed money in the deal and still see Ahmed fighting for a 3rd or 4th rb spot with a 50/50 chance of actually making the 53 man roster. Prior two seasons he's spent time on the practice squad. I expect there will backs on the board in the 6th and 7th round maybe even udfa that I would be just as happy with having as Ahmed. I also expect there to be some rbs released in August around the league that I would prefer to have over Ahmed.

I wouldn't get too excited one way or the other. I doubt there's much guaranteed money in the deal and still see Ahmed fighting for a 3rd or 4th rb spot with a 50/50 chance of actually making the 53 man roster. Prior two seasons he's spent time on the practice squad. I expect there will backs on the board in the 6th and 7th round maybe even udfa that I would be just as happy with having as Ahmed. I also expect there to be some rbs released in August around the league that I would prefer to have over Ahmed.

At this is the time, I expect to see the development of previously drafted and un-drafted players start to become a fixture of how the Dolphins operate.

As a natural result of our current draft situation, I would expect to see us bring in more trades and UDFA's then we normally see; and I expect that a larger percentage of them than usual turn out to be successful players for us. We haven't enriched our coaching staff for no good reason!

I see this as a good thing and a large part of the new methodology the Dolphins will use to build and maintain our teams.

Back
Top Bottom