AL and NL manager of the year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AL and NL manager of the year

culpepper2chambers said:
AL: jim leyland
NL: no idea..................jerry narron??

thoughts

AL-Yes
NL- If the Reds make the playoffs then yes. Otherwise either Willie Randolph or Giradi (although he'll have a tougher time winning it).

Probably should be Randolph in the NL, if only by default; he's running the only team worth a damn.

Edit: Oh yeah, in the AL, it's got to be Leyland.

phunwin said:
Probably should be Randolph in the NL, if only by default; he's running the only team worth a damn.

Edit: Oh yeah, in the AL, it's got to be Leyland.

Phil, I could win the NL East with that team. Narron, Girardi, and Melvin have all gotten more out of their clubs. Little has an argument if the Dodgers hold on.

But to me, it's really between Narron and Girardi. The Reds were supposed to be an afterthought, and the Marlins were supposed to be historically awful. The Mets were supposed to win the division by a bunch of games anyway. Manager of the year doesn't go to the manager of the best team.

NL its Girardi no doubt, if you said the Marlins would be 3.0 out of the wildcard at this point and 52-35 since starting 11-31 you would get called crazy

AL - Probally Leyland

Hate to rain on the "Leyland parade" but my homer vote goes to Ken Macha.

The A's lost their best starter (Rich Harden) for what amounted to the entire season, their closer (Huston Street) has been on the DL twice, their three best middle relievers (Duchscherer, Witasick and Kennedy) have been out for at least 2 months each at a time, their starting shortstop (Bobby Crosby) has been on the DL twice, Eric Chavez missed 2 weeks, Mark Kotsay has been in and out of the lineup for the last month and Milton Bradley missed a month...

...yet they have a 6 game lead in the AL West and there are only 5 teams in all of Major League Baseball with more wins. That is manager of the year material in my opinion.

unifiedtheory said:
Hate to rain on the "Leyland parade" but my homer vote goes to Ken Macha.

The A's lost their best starter (Rich Harden) for what amounted to the entire season, their closer (Huston Street) has been on the DL twice, their three best middle relievers (Duchscherer, Witasick and Kennedy) have been out for at least 2 months each at a time, their starting shortstop (Bobby Crosby) has been on the DL twice, Eric Chavez missed 2 weeks, Mark Kotsay has been in and out of the lineup for the last month and Milton Bradley missed a month...

...yet they have a 6 game lead in the AL West and there are only 5 teams in all of Major League Baseball with more wins. That is manager of the year material in my opinion.

Macha will get some votes, but when Leyland's team was picked to finish 4th and have had the best record in baseball for the whole year it's hard to argue Leyland shouldn't get it.

Alex44 said:
NL its Girardi no doubt, if you said the Marlins would be 3.0 out of the wildcard at this point and 52-35 since starting 11-31 you would get called crazy

AL - Probally Leyland

I thought u said awards have to go to good teams

Perfect23 said:
why the marlins like 8 gms under

al Leyland nl Jerry Narron

Try three. 63-66, 2 out in the loss column, 3 out overall.

And Uni, I like Macha, but repeat after me: the Detroit Tigers are in first place. In a division with Chicago and Minnesota, for Detroit to have been this dominant is amazing.

In the NL either Girardi or Narron (whichever wins the wild-card) or Willie if those two fail to get their team to the playoffs.

In the AL, Leyland unless the Tigers collapse, if not him then Gardenhire if the Twins win the division or Macha if he fails!

Perfect23 said:
I thought u said awards have to go to good teams

No I said teams in contention dont put words in my mouth.

BTW the marlins have been one of the best teams in the NL (behind the Mets, or maybe ahead of them now) At 52-35 since starting off 11-31, and are only 3 back of the wildcard

Not to mention have the best pitching out of ANY of the teams in contention now

AL--Jim Leyland (if Detroit totally collapses this final month though, then Joe Torre will slip in and steal it)

NL--Jerry Narron (in the playoffs or not, with that pitching staff the fact he has them where they are is good enough)

Back
Top Bottom